Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Coronas @ The Olympia (Music Photography)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Thought I'd add a few tips for you...

I hate to see a pic with no guitar head as in #1

Learn to avoid mic stands blocking ur subject, especially the face #2

not sure what focus points / aperture u used but his face doesn't seem as in focus as the rest of him in #3

The black n white one is not bad but the amp/monitor is distracting...

Looked a nice light set up, what I would give for one of them at a Punk gig ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

good tips AR - i quite like the b&w one , but the copyright ruins it - is it really necessary, given the value ( or lack of) a music image these days ?

the last one is probably my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Thought I'd add a few tips for you...

I hate to see a pic with no guitar head as in #1

Learn to avoid mic stands blocking ur subject, especially the face #2

not sure what focus points / aperture u used but his face doesn't seem as in focus as the rest of him in #3

The black n white one is not bad but the amp/monitor is distracting...

Looked a nice light set up, what I would give for one of them at a Punk gig ;)

Thanks for looking at them and the feedback.

I hate guitars being cut off as much as the next person but I was going for a portrait shot here. I got loads with the guitar in hand (not cut off) but I wanted something a bit closer. I agree with you, there is nothing worse than a guitar that's *just* chopped off at the top.

Yup, I ordinarily avoid this but I kind of liked this one. I think the warm backlighting is kinda yummy.

Was shooting at 2.8 with single focus point. It's a tad soft I think but it's forgivable.

It's tough to always getting it tack sharp with backlighing unfortunately.

Thanks for the feedback and taking time to reply! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Love the second last one.. Very well caught.

ps3man wrote: »
    Love the second last one.. Very well caught.

Hoverman!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

tbh i really like the first one, used to hate guitars being cut but its not about him playing in that image, more his personality and mood, which its excellently captured.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I didn't even mention his left elbow :p

I didn't even mention his left elbow :p

What cha mean? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

To me the first is the best, captures a mood/scene. He appears to be loving what he does, that looking out on the crowd that are there for them he can't help but smile as he gets himself ready! Great shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

I used to do a lot of music photography with local bands so completely appreciate the problems you encountered. The Olympia can have wonderful lights, it's just the level of the stage and the deflection of light off it which causes problems. Really like the first and second last ones; I personally think that it's more important to capture a moment, an expression and some sort of feeling in a music photo than a simple act of performance, and those two work well on that level. The last one is good too but think a closer crop and stepping closer to the stage to exclude more of the mic would have made it much more striking. Overall though nice work :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement