Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scholarships/Funding for studying abroad

Options
  • 06-12-2011 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

Does anyone know of any good sites or resources regarding applying for funding when studying abroad. I've a year left of my degree here, and I'm giving serious consideration to a Masters either elsewhere in Europe - possibly the Netherlands, or preferably further afield to New Zealand if it's financially feasible as I'll barely scrape the cutoff age for the 2 year visa when I graduate, but I'm not sure where to start with looking for scholarships. The main EU student grant in the Netherlands requires you to be under 30 as far as I can make out

One thing that's confused me when searching on a couple of uni sites is the 'country of origin' type section. I'm originally from the UK, but my 3rd-level qualification will be from Ireland, where I will have been resident for about 6 years at the time of graduating. It may sound a bit dim, but what do I actually put?

Gah, I only just saw the Studying Abroad section now :( It must be time for bed. As I'm a Mature Student and that affects qualification for some funding, I'm not sure where this is best off - can a mod decide?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You might have better luck here OP.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭esperanza1

apparently there's free funding for EU students following masters in the netherlands. sorry, don't have exact info on that.

meanwhile, check out mastersportal.eu - lots of free masters in Denmark, Sweden, Finland... plenty taught through English too so no language barrier! Good luck!

Please note that the quality of higher education in Northern europe is generally far superior than in the south. ;-) Avoid France and Belgium for masters - most courses are streaks behind those in the Netherlands, UK, Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

esperanza1 wrote: »
    Please note that the quality of higher education in Northern europe is generally far superior than in the south. ;-) Avoid France and Belgium for masters - most courses are streaks behind those in the Netherlands, UK, Ireland...
    Depends where you go really. France has some fantastic universities (Sciences Po) as does Belgium which has some of the best universities in the world like Leuven and Ghent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johncyrus

I want to study in Europe but lack of fund for my study. What company guys giving scholarship for aeronautics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

OP have you considered ETH Zurich? Worldclass university, teaches through English and has scholarships as far as I am aware.
    Lockstep wrote: »
    Depends where you go really. France has some fantastic universities (Sciences Po) as does Belgium which has some of the best universities in the world like Leuven and Ghent.

While France has some very good universities (Ecole Normale Superieur and Ecole Polytechnique in particular) it also has a lot of extremely poor ones. Grenoble and Toulouse are both extremely poor. Outside of the top 3 or 4 the quality plummets drastically.

Italy/Spain/Portugal should be avoided like the plague for postgraduate study-they simply are not up to scratch in international terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

While France has some very good universities (Ecole Normale Superieur and Ecole Polytechnique in particular) it also has a lot of extremely poor ones. Grenoble and Toulouse are both extremely poor. Outside of the top 3 or 4 the quality plummets drastically.
    Just like the rest of Europe really: for every TCD or Oxford there's a DKIT or Kingston.
    Toulouse Paul Sabatier is roughly on par with NUIG.
    Italy/Spain/Portugal should be avoided like the plague for postgraduate study-they simply are not up to scratch in international terms.
    Dunno much about the university systems there but the European University Institute in Florence is *very* high quality (one of the best in the world for social sciences) whereas Barcelona GSE is one of the best places in Europe for economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

That's not necessarily true, I hear excellent things about the University of Milan's postgraduate programmes in the humanities(in English).

That said the Netherlands and Belgium are probably the place to look for doing a postgrad in Europe, given there's either very low tuition(I'm paying 625 euro for my MA in KU Leuven, and most Dutch universities charge about 1735 or so) or a decent chance of funding. The cost of living can be quite high,especially initially(VAT on any kind of household products is very high), although necessities(food,utilities and the like) are fairly reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Weird question but I thought I read somewhere that you can still get BTEA if you study within the EU. Is that true?

Advertisement