Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Symbol Translation

Options
  • 06-12-2011 6:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine was given this symbol and told that it was Chinese, he's tried everywhere to get the translation of it but can't find it anywhere, can anyone translate it or is it just a bunch of squiggles that someone is passing off for a Chinese symbol?

symbol111copy.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Nevermind, got it sorted elsewhere :D

It's the word for an abundance

"Fa" is the pronunciation in Mandarin. "Fat" or more correctly "Faht" is Cantonese.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

"發"
    "Fa"

Firstly, it's upside down.

Secondly, it's traditional rather than simplified, might explain the difficulty finding it.

Thirdly, the messy way in which it's written makes me think it's probably frosting on a cookie or cake, probably a "月餅" ("Yue Bing") aka a "moon-cake".

Finally, from learning that it's on a moon-cake we can infer that the meaning is specifically "To get richer" as in "發財" ("Fa Cai"),rather than just "abundance" which is a bit vague.

Though I'm sure you've already eaten it by now.

Enjoy!

Advertisement