Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CKC pooing in doors :(

Options
  • 06-12-2011 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

She is 18mths old and the last week or so every single chance she gets, she runs upstairs and poos on the rug I have outside my sons room :(
    Tbh I sick of it, scrubbing the rug everyday, every day this week she managed to sneak up there and poo and I try watch her but she's getting up the stairs the minute I stop paying attention , and she takes seconds to poo :(
    Today she destroyed the rug, so it's had to be binned ( fecking rug cost €200 back in the good old days )

Any tips on how to stop her thinking that's her spot ? She never did this before, she was crate trained and still loves her crate ( I took it down once and she whined for it )
    I can't keep her locked in the crate but I can't have her running free in the house if she is going to keep doing his :( my children are very young, so the last thing I need is the dog to think the house esp upstairs is her place to poo :(

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

When a dog suddenly starts peeing or pooping indoors when normally reliably housetrained, it very often has a medical cause. She may seem healthy on the outside, but I'd urge you to get her to your vet to check for an infection or illness... The discomfort of an infection even in a different area of the body can cause disrupted toileting habits.
    So, I'd advise vet, asap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gc1971

DBB wrote: »
    When a dog suddenly starts peeing or pooping indoors when normally reliably housetrained, it very often has a medical cause. She may seem healthy on the outside, but I'd urge you to get her to your vet to check for an infection or illness... The discomfort of an infection even in a different area of the body can cause disrupted toileting habits.
    So, I'd advise vet, asap!

Have to agree with DBB. This seems unusual if she is fully housetrained. Definitely a trip to the vet would rule out any issues. In the meantime try blocking off the stairs so she can't go up. And try to remember that she's not doing this deliberately. Dogs aren't like that. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Got to agree with the previous posters. If any of my pets poo or wee where they are not supposed to they are vet checked to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Cavaliers can have sensitive stomachs, your dog may be on an unsuitable diet for her needs and just not able to hold on. She will need to see a vet to make sure she doesn't have an upset stomach.

If she is going to the toilet in the wrong place, you need to start treating her like a puppy again (toilet training wise) to prevent any accidents and to give her the opportunity to go to the toilet often. By this, I mean letting her out every hour (she may not go every time) and restricting her to one area of the house (preferably somewhere that the floor is easy to clean - tiles, wood etc.). Keeping her supervised at all times (or as good as), not letting her upstairs (a baby gate will help with this, if that's an issue) and letting her out as soon as you think she may need to go (if she has an upset stomach, this can end up being very often.) Cleaning up properly after her (using an enzyme cleaner and some safe disinfectant) will prevent her smelling herself where she goes to the toilet and hopefully she won't want to go in the same spot again.

On the rug issue - one of my Cavs is prone to colitis and we had essentially the same situation (rugs getting stained from pooing). Some of the cheaper mats got thrown out but we have an expensive(ish) one in the sitting room that we got cleaned in a dry cleaner that offered the service of cleaning rugs (and no longer do - typical!). I know quite a few carpet shops offer the same service so ringing around may save the rug from the bin. Give it a good clean to get any poo out of the rug and then they will deep clean any stains out of it, this will also freshen it and get rid of any smells.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Remove the rug for a while she probably things that's her spot now, perhaps get a baby gate for the stairs that'll stop her going up.

I don't bother with rugs..just a couple of machine washable door mats by the doors. I couldn't be bothered with the clean up so gave up on rugs a long time ago lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭applejam

Thanks everyone, no health issues with her apart from needing to be spayed ( new year ) baby gate in place, will attempt to clean the rug at the weekend .
    She try's every chance she gets to get up the stairs, baby gate has her puzzled lol
    I wonder is it the cold weather as she refuses to go outside, I have to nearly carry her to the door as she runs and hides when she hears me turning the key in the back door ( esp if it's raining out )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

applejam wrote: »
    I wonder is it the cold weather as she refuses to go outside, I have to nearly carry her to the door as she runs and hides when she hears me turning the key in the back door ( esp if it's raining out )

It could easily be something as simple at that, not unknown for them to have a sneaky pee inside when it is lashing rain outside :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The weather could definetly be a reason, our Pap won't go outside if the weather is bad, sometimes he will go out if he thinks he's missing something but he generally needs coaxing or carrying if it's really bad or we try and go out in between the showers. One thing that encourages dogs to go out to the loo is the smell of another dog, if you have a friend/family/neighbours dog that calls over have them do their buisness in the garden and yours might want to go and re mark the territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭applejam

Thanks again for all the advice, the fecker jumped the gate to get to her pooing spot :confused: I do think it's a weather issue but boy is she determined to get upstairs :( she doesn't do this in any other part of the house, she has her crate to sleep in and comes into the living room at night to lie in front of the fire, she is a well love doggie ( except when she does this :confused: )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

It probably is the bad weather, I have a bitch who would rather hold it 14 hours than go out in the rain:o
    I have to put on a raincoat and bring her out, I stand there until she goes, it took 20 mins one day, but she went and I gave her loads of praise and we ran in for a treat.
    It is getting better, she is getting the message, she goes when I say. Its taken 2 weeks but I can see it working.
    She also tried refusing to step out in the rain for walks, we are getting over that too, but it takes time and a lot of effort (and a waterproof coat and shoes;)), this occurred last year in the wet weather too, but not in the snow she loved that.
    If she goes near the gate grab her and bring her out, wait until she goes then praise and in for a treat. She'll get there eventually, its just a matter of breaking the habit.

Oh and biological washing powder is great for clean ups, removes all traces of a smell even to dogs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement