Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do with an old dog?

Options
  • 05-12-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Our dog is 17 years old. He is our family dog and we have had him since he was a puppy. He is in the family home with my parents and unfortunately he is starting to act strangely for about a year or more now. He has been to the vet, has an irregular heart beat but otherwise healthy enough. However he is contantly weeing all over the house. He seems so confused at times walking up and down, in and out of rooms, looking to get outside, moments later looking to go back in again, five minutes later does the same. I was housesitting/minding the dog for two weeks and it was an absolute nightmare. We are always nervous when the grandkids are in the house as we have to be careful in case he bites them. He was quite vicious in his young day, but more mellow now. My parents are finding him difficult to deal with and obviously he can be rehomed. Has anyone had this experience before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Boogiewoogie

Hi Pixie80

I'm not a vet but it sounds to me like your poor old fella might be in the early/mid stages of CDD (Canine Cognitive Disorder). It's like senile dementia and can be difficult to diagnose as the early stages are like petit mal (epilepsy), staring episodes/absences.

My oldest lab (13) has it and does very well on Selgian when he's going through a phase. The worst symptom for us is the night time separation anxiety, myself and my husband have to take turns sleeping downstairs with him when he's having an episode, however he still has a very good quality of life most days.

Maybe suggest this to your vet next time you talk to him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

My nan had an old black lab who became incontinent and a little senile towards the end. She didn't complain at all, just kept cleaning up and looking after him until one day he wasn't able to stand up, and took that as her cue that his time of 'reasonable' quality of life was over. She lived on her own at that stage and it was a very tough decision for her, she got him as a puppy when the last of her own kids left home. He saw her through a lot of difficult times including my grandad's passing. I wasn't very old at the time but I remember it very well. It was the day before christmas eve and she couldn't bear the thought that he might be in pain in the few days that followed with no vet's open. It was a good time though as all her 'kids' were home for Christmas. She couldn't bring herself to as much as glance in the direction of another dog for as long as she lived after that though.

Sorry, that's not very helpful at all is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Boogiewoogie

Sounds exactly like my old girl Daisy, AJ. She was doubly incontinent for about the last 9 months of her life but still loved her food, cuddles and short rambles around the block. She had given me almost 15 years of joy so I had no problem cleaning up after her or giving her a clean bed every day. I knew when the mobility went and she couldn't get up and about that it was her time. She never wanted to be left behind when the others were going out and got very distressed. I'll do the same for Dougs and Fern if needs be x

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, as well as looking into medication for the dog's deteriorating mental health as boogiewoogie suggests, dietary intervention coupled with drug therapy can significantly improve the symptoms of Canine Cognitive Dysfunction, as long as the intervention is early enough.
    Vets may be a bit behind in the treatment of this condition, and often put it down to the dog "just getting old", but it us a recognised and manageable condition.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I really count my blessings that I've only had one dog where I had to make the decision to bring in a vet. I dunno how people find the strength to do it. Fair play I say. In my one case it was a given and he was suddenly in pain from a stroke at 16 :(, but when it's a slow downhill thing it must be so much harder.

All but one of mine have either died of old age in their sleep or in my arms after a rapid(talking in hours) deterioration. Yea towards the end they had little accidents in the house and the mobility wasn't the best at times and sometimes they acted confused/pain in the arse:), but were otherwise involved in the family life. For me I figured so long as they were content with that(and they were, removing my anthropomorphic sensibilities which can be hard to do) that was OK.

With my last guy who died in September, I was advised by a vet to put him down 18 months + previously. Her take was that he was old and not as mobile as he should be. He was mobile enough so I ignored that advice(and other advice, hence I've a new vet). In the big snows of last year(which made him act like a pup again) we both girded our loins and made it to the local shops to get in supplies and he was leading the way, old as he was :) The Chinese lad behind the counter looked at me and then at him, both of us covered in snow and said "OK we won't mention the no dogs rule. You're the only people in the place and I live in the flat above. Welcome" :D

My take with your guy? Is he distressed to an obvious degree, or being an actual danger to others and himself? If not I'd personally speaking wait and see myself. 17 is a great age for any dog, hopefully he'll go out as easy as he came in. If he does show any pain or distress then of course call a vet. For me, the peeing issues and the confusion wouldn't unduly worry me. As a puppy he was likely the same and you cleaned up after him then, so he's is in his "second childhood" phase. I'd give him as much love as ye can, just like any other aged and venerable member of your family, unless it becomes too much for him. Like I say that's just me speaking. IMHO and it's just my HO, a fair few people go the vet route when it becomes uncomfortable for them not the dog.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

My Bruno became very confused after a stroke a few weeks before he died:(He would have moments where he would stand and stare at a wall or gaze into space :(.He began weeing at night but to be honest I didnt mind cleaning it,he was my best friend for 11 years so it was the least I could do.x

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I would put up with accidents in the house as long as the dog isn't in any pain - especially for an older dog who would have given me years of companionship? It's hard to type this but my dog is 2 and just had his leg straightened 6 weeks ago (the other one done last year) and in the back of my mind I worry what will happen to him. Will he have a long life or will he suddenly go down hill and be in pain from where he had the surgery, what if his legs give up etc. I want him with me as long as possible but if the day comes where he's in pain and unhappy more than he's happy and content I know what decision I'll make.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

poor doggy, at his age there is not much more you can expect. if my doggy i would just clean up and thank god that he is in still good nick despite his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks for this thread.

Collie is incontinent now. I gladly mop up; she had such a rotten first five years. Just seek for her to have some pleasure in her life. The large room they are in has lino so that is fine. She has given so much pleasure and still is active, although, like me, getting up from lying down is not easy. Still runs in the field with great glee.

We are giving her cranberry juice in case there is a bladder infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pixie80

Thanks for replies.
    It is likely that our dog does have dementia. Its hard going for my parents but they do their best and appreciate that they do. It just seems like he is getting worse now that he ever has been. He seems like a very nervous dog and distressed a lot of the time. Its hard to know what he wants sometimes or if there's any pain. Nobody want to get the vet involved just yet. What a heartbreaking decision to have to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i really feel for you op. i have two dogs that are 11 and 9. the 9 yr old has arthritis and is on medication for life. at times she limps and can be quite stiff if cold or lying for too long. but i think there is plenty of life in her yet. she is also going a bit deaf, and both seem to be slowly developing cataracs.

i have however been in this position with cats. growing up i had four cats. tiger ran off and i never saw him again. tails ran off to live with someone down the road from us, and was then run over. but tommy and tiny stayed. 11 yrs ago just before i moved into my current house i had to make the heartbreaking decision to have tommy pts. (i was 15 and it near killed me). he had feline aids, and was deteriorating. however in hindsight i think if he had been medicated he would have had some quality of life for a few years more at least. but the vet we attended was beyond horrid and unhelpful so i presume they would never have thought to think that through. how they treated me and tommy when the time came to pts was diabolical (wouldn't let me stay with him, how they gave him back to me etc). not with them anymore.

then tiny. two years ago i had to decide to have him pts. he had cancer. he had been sick for quite a while. throwing up a lot, getting a lot of infections. he was deaf and just wasn't his usual self at all. i was doing work exp when the vet rang with the diagnosis and it just broke my heart. i went into a room and wept, but was stuck there till the end of the day :(. however i got to stay with him this time which helped a lot i think.

i have 3 more cats now (little monsters - i am a glutton for punishment) but i pray to god that i don't have to go through that experience again. however if it is what would be best for the animal - i will consider it at the time.

hope everything works out ok with your dog :)

Advertisement