Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics Society

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Liked and submitted comment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Clicked on link...
    page not found...

Facebook and it's "instant"ness

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

The link is doubled so you have to delete the second part in the web address bar back to the end of the numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

The UL Politics Society is here
    Promote itself using broken links

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 LAC

Just like a politician making promises ye can't keep :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Non party political politics? The SU won't like that. Staunch FF supporters up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Non party political politics? The SU won't like that. Staunch FF supporters up there.

Post reported for trolling/dragging off topic.

Back on topic, I really like this idea - it could go far!

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    Post reported for trolling/dragging off topic.

Back on topic, I really like this idea - it could go far!

Why are you back-seat moderating? Why are you telling me you're reporting posts, it sounds like you're trying to provoke me. That's also called trolling and against the rules.

I don't see the point of a non-party political society. What kind of events would it run? What kind of members would it hope to attract?

Why are you back-seat moderating? Why are you telling me you're reporting posts, it sounds like you're trying to provoke me. That's also called trolling and against the rules.

I forget where exactly it says it (I'll update later), but it says somewhere on boards.ie - probably in the Newbies & FAQ section - that it's good practise to say that you've reported a post in order to let other people know that it's been done, and that they don't need to do it. Prevents duplicate reporting.

By the way, if I recall correctly, you stated on the ULFM thread that you reported one of my posts. A bit hypocritical, don't you think Sid?
    I don't see the point of a non-party political society. [1]What kind of events would it run? [2]What kind of members would it hope to attract?

[1] How about independent discussion forums about topics related to politics? Maybe they could invite members from Ogra FF and YFG along? There's a lot of potential there.
    [2] Maybe people who don't want to be tied down to a particular political party?

I'm not engaging you in your trolling off-topicness.

I really don't see any justification in this type of society, but if get enough signatures, I would consider it justified.

Have to wonder if UL needs any more societies sapping the capitation fees. Just seem like the majority of them are just 2 or 3 mates with a shared interest getting two or three others to attend an event.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Calm it down. Stop stirring the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

so the independent society?

reunion wrote: »
    so the independent society?

You could see it like that, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

Oh boy....

Right,to state again this is going to be an independent society which is neutral on all aspects and will remain free and impartial from any party politics influence or any domination of Political thought or Ideal.

This society will be an open forum for Political discussion on areas which will not focus solely on Irish politics etc but discussion on all areas of Global politics from current events,Political ideology's,Foreign politics etc

As for events wise what we wish to do is invite various speakers such as a variety of Irish politicians,Lectures,Hopefully ambassadors,Political commentators and quite even prominent members of the Irish military.We are also looking at trips as well such as Dublin etc.

The majority of people that have shown interest,I would best put it at 4/5ths are not members of any political party youth wing but are in fact students that study Politics in UL and wish to join a society that is not,again a party youth branch.

So far we've had 50 people show interest in joining,and to be quite perfectly honest its quite abysmal that there is no free forum neutral Political Society already established in UL.

I really don't see any justification in this type of society
    Answered above but may as well repeat myself..The majority of students interested in discussing and that study politics in UL are not interested or wanting to join a Political Party and the few that are wishing to join that are in a party youth wing wish to discuss Politics in general and not just focus on Irish politics or promote their party.(Yes I know this may be hard for you to believe but its quite true.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Have you talked to Paul Lee or Liz in the SU about setting up such a club/society?

Yeah we met with Liz already and were going to see Paul this week as he mainly handles news clubs& Socs stuff liz was saying

Liz said to try and spread the name about to see what the interest is like and so far its been excellent :).

Mikel91 wrote: »
    Oh boy....

Right,to state again this is going to be an independent society which is neutral on all aspects and will remain free and impartial from any party politics influence or any domination of Political thought or Ideal.

This society will be an open forum for Political discussion on areas which will not focus solely on Irish politics etc but discussion on all areas of Global politics from current events,Political ideology's,Foreign politics etc

As for events wise what we wish to do is invite various speakers such as a variety of Irish politicians,Lectures,Hopefully ambassadors,Political commentators and quite even prominent members of the Irish military.We are also looking at trips as well such as Dublin etc.

The majority of people that have shown interest,I would best put it at 4/5ths are not members of any political party youth wing but are in fact students that study Politics in UL and wish to join a society that is not,again a party youth branch.

So far we've had 50 people show interest in joining,and to be quite perfectly honest its quite abysmal that there is no free forum neutral Political Society already established in UL.

Answered above but may as well repeat myself..The majority of students interested in discussing and that study politics in UL are not interested or wanting to join a Political Party and the few that are wishing to join that are in a party youth wing wish to discuss Politics in general and not just focus on Irish politics or promote their party.(Yes I know this may be hard for you to believe but its quite true.)

sounds like you've done your homework so, you have my support.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

I'm not engaging you in your trolling off-topicness.

I really don't see any justification in this type of society, but if get enough signatures, I would consider it justified.

Have to wonder if UL needs any more societies sapping the capitation fees. Just seem like the majority of them are just 2 or 3 mates with a shared interest getting two or three others to attend an event.

It's true... there are actually only 2 or 3 people in UL who are interested in politics at all and I wouldn't describe them as mates......

Also you don't have to consider it justified. C&S is very well run with such decisions like new clubs/societies going through trial periods and council have an opportunity to ask the founders any questions. It does not 'sap' capitation; it brings another mouth to the trough which means that the impact spread over 60-70 clubs and societies is minimal and only has an effect on the C&S portion of capitation.
    So really, this is certainly at least one place where we can truly say with no hint of doubt that unless you are a committee member who turns up to council meetings your opinion really does not matter.

I regard that as a small victory.

C&S is very well run with such decisions like new clubs/societies going through trial periods and council have an opportunity to ask the founders any questions.

Curious that you consider excessive bureaucracy well run.
    It does not 'sap' capitation; it brings another mouth to the trough which means that the impact spread over 60-70 clubs and societies is minimal and only has an effect on the C&S portion of capitation.

C&S are a sap on funds. I really don't think some students should be subsidising other peoples social lives.
    So really, this is certainly at least one place where we can truly say with no hint of doubt that unless you are a committee member who turns up to council meetings your opinion really does not matter.

I have attended council meetings.
    I regard that as a small victory.

That is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

So you're involved in a society or club or have been? That surprises me - seems quite contradictory to your regarding C&S as a sap on funds.

I certainly don't regard my participation in C&S as having funded my social life. I may have made many many great friends through C&S - certainly many more than I did through my course - but I would regarded that as a social element to the club I'm involved in.

It's awful sad I think when people can't see the worth in clubs and societies - particularly so if you've been involved.

P.S. Absolute best of luck with the society Mike. I won't be joining I'd say but it seems to me that it is one which has value.

P.P.S. I am absolutely aware of how pathetic it is to take a small victory but if I speak at one constant volume; at one constant pitch; at one constant rythm; right into your ear - you still won't hear......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

great idea, well done for starting the wheels in motion. I'd be very happy to come along if it gets going.

Hey all,

Unfortunately we wont be at the C&S drive tomorrow but will be coming up for proposal at the next c&s council.

We'll keep ye updated here and put out posters when we here anything.

Advertisement