Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cmos battery removal

Options
  • 05-12-2011 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I need to reset my bios password and I know how to do it is to just remove the cmos battery for a few seconds and it will reset The only problem with my laptop is it does not have a clip to remove the battery like most laptops. The model is Toshiba and the battery is imbedded into it does anyone know a way to remove it?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Not trying to scare you but some laptops have security features that won't even reset the password on CMOS battery removal, these require contacting the manufacturer for the master code after providing proof of purchase usually, this is a route you may want to try!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sahara lara

I contacted the company and explained my problem and they said the only way is to remove the cmos battery. They said I would need to have it done professionally. I was quoted before by a professional and the quote was for €120. Its a bit pricey. Thanks anyway for your advice

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I contacted the company and explained my problem and they said the only way is to remove the cmos battery. They said I would need to have it done professionally. I was quoted before by a professional and the quote was for €120. Its a bit pricey. Thanks anyway for your advice

€120 doesn't sound hugely unreasonable as opening up laptops can be a frustrating time consuming job, is the battery soldered in? Some motherboards have a little plastic clip the battery clips in to so follow the wires and see, you may need to get it desoldered/resoldered though!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sahara lara

I was able to get to the battery with ease but not to actualy removing the battery. yes its soldiered in. no clip like most laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 westcoast1

Maybe the battery is attached to the board and is plugged in by a cable? If so just disconnect the cable for awhile.

• Advertisement
Advertisement