Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Calling Our Politicians by First Name is Not Good.

Options
  • 05-12-2011 5:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

These politicians are not our friends. We elected them. They are paid to serve us and not for them to impose this notion upon us that we can go for a jar with the likes of "Jack", "Bertie", "Charlie", "Enda" and so on.

I refuse to call them by their first names as I do not know them personally.

I cringe especially when I see Irish journalists doing this as it creates a notion that our polticians are gas lads "up for the craic" and again it has an element of subserviance about it. In that we should let our guard down around these bastards. Look at what a piece of sheet "Brian" turned out to be when we should of been calling his "Cowan" - even when he was pissed with the two floozies and wrecking the nation he was still "Brian".

Gimmie a break FFS.

They are not our buddies to be enderaingly spoken of. I am sick of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Is this seriously the only thing you have to complain about. Would love to be you.

Jesus wept.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

That_Guy wrote: »
    Is this seriously the only thing you have to complain about. Would love to be you.

Jesus wept.

I voted for William Boyd Barrett once will that do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Who is William Boyd Barrett?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You mean Willy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I can see why you don't like using first names, or you'd have to tell people you voted for a willy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

What's the point in them having first names if we don't use them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Bertie and Enda are rare enough names so when people reference them they usually have an idea of who they are talking about. If a Patrick Murphy became Taoiseach then we'd have a problem as you can't throw a stick without hitting a Murphy in Ireland.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The hazard of a country the size of a county. Everyone either knows everyone else or thinks they know everyone else. Casual familiarity is something tourists love but can grate in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I can sort of see your point. After all, didn't we have one minister who was called Cock Roach?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It would be hard to work out which one's being discussed if you had to call them Fucker 1, Fucker 2 etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

These politicians are not our friends. We elected them. They are paid to serve us and not for them to impose this notion upon us that we can go for a jar with the likes of "Jack", "Bertie", "Charlie", "Enda" and so on.

I refuse to call them by their first names as I do not know them personally.

I cringe especially when I see Irish journalists doing this as it creates a notion that our polticians are gas lads "up for the craic" and again it has an element of subserviance about it. In that we should let our guard down around these bastards. Look at what a piece of sheet "Brian" turned out to be when we should of been calling his "Cowan" - even when he was pissed with the two floozies and wrecking the nation he was still "Brian".

Gimmie a break FFS.

They are not our buddies to be enderaingly spoken of. I am sick of it.

Well if I'm gonna call one of them a "Bollox" - I suppose I can put a "Mister" in front of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

ah sure idle be all right

That_Guy wrote: »

Jesus wept.

Mister Christ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I can see why you don't like using first names, or you'd have to tell people you voted for a willy.

He could call him Willy but I'd imagine the man prefers to be called Richard ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

stovelid wrote: »
    You mean Willy?

He means Bill ;)

He could call him Willy but I'd imagine the man prefers to be called Richard ;)

Whatever his name is, she still voted for a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

we call them by their first names?:confused:

I call them every name under the sun except their actual names

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Ah sure wasn't "Bertie" just one of us, one of the lads. "Bertie" is the sort of name you might give a cute little pet, not the sort of name you'd give to a dangerous little bastard who bankrupts the entire state while he remains on massive pensions and in possession of property given to him as "gifts" on his way up the political ladder.

That cult of the personality shít annoys the fúck out of me. The guy is a crook, a thieving little bástard before he even became Taoiseach, a guy who claimed he had no bank account but was Minister for Finance of this state at the same time. Hello!

A guy who received a house from a property developer just as a gift because he was a nice lad, apparently. A guy for whom his friends organised personal fundraisers, a guy who seemed to win money on races any time he couldn't explain the source of money, a man who just "signed what was in front of me" when it came to explaining how as treasurer of Fianna Fáil he made all sorts of corrupt payments....

But sure isn't he our "Bertie", just like the rest of us. Grrrrr. :mad:

At the very least "Bertie" should be charged with negligence and then imprisoned when he is found guilty. It's time to deromanticise this individual and face up to one fact: he is not "one of the lads". Not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

realies wrote: »
    He means Bill ;)
    No, No...it's William

Advertisement