Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths - The Trigonometry Choice

Options
  • 05-12-2011 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

I recently attended a strand 2 content course, where the choice between trig questions 6a and 6b was discussed. I left that class more confused than ever.

I believed that the choice was between a LC PM question and a question from the old LC course that required students to apply their knowledge. Has this changed? Because the facilitator said the the choice was between LC PM and the JC equivalent level course. For example if youre teaching LCOL it would be a question from the JC OL course. This doesnt seem right to me and it also wasnt specified if this was the old JC course or the PM JC questions.

Can anyone clarify this for me?? Or put me in touch with someone on the PM development team who might be able to answer this question....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

give Cammie Gallagher a try, his details are on the projectmaths website.
    Other option is to try the secretary of IMTA Brendan O'Sullivan, I find him a wealth of information, details on www.imta.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

It is an applied question based on what they studied at JC level, or at least thats my understanding. Not PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Here's what it says on page 22 of the syllabus:

"In the examination, candidates will have the option of answering a question on the synthetic geometry set out here, or answering a problem-solving
    question based on the geometrical results from the corresponding syllabus level at Junior Certificate. This option will apply for a three year period only,
    for candidates sitting the Leaving Certificate examination in 2012, 2013 and 2014. There will be no choice after that stage."

(I presume you didn't really mean "trigonometry" in the title - it's synthetic geometry.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Thanks for all your responses. From your comments and my own research, I think the approach has definately changed and the choice question is coming from the JC syllabus, but I will do some more research and doublecheck that its coming from the old JC syllabus.

Yes Math Maniac, I of course meant the synthetic geometry. Really have to get up to date on the new lingo!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mwalimu

The following Q&A is on the NCCA website (and linked from the projectmaths.ie homepage). I have highlighted the bit I think you are looking for in red.

What synthetic geometry is required for Leaving Cert Maths candidates in 2012, 2013 and 2014 who opt for the alternative problem-solving question as provided for in Section 2.1 of the Leaving Cert Maths syllabus (page 22)?

For all candidates, whether opting for the synthetic geometry question based on section 2.1 (page 22) or the alternative question of a problem-solving nature, 'knowledge of the geometrical results from the corresponding syllabus level at Junior Certificate is assumed' -as stated in the introduction to Strand 2 on page 21 of the syllabus. For students sitting Leaving Certificate in 2012, 2013 and 2014, this refers to the geometry in the JC Maths syllabus they followed at junior cycle i.e. the revised syllabus which was introduced in 2000.

Knowledge from that syllabus at Junior Cert. together with the remainder of the Leaving Certificate Strand 2 (i.e. not including the new material of Section 2.1), can be expected to form the basis for contexts and problems associated with Strand 2 that may arise in Section B of the examination paper at Leaving Cert over the same period of years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Just bear in mind we were warned at a project maths inservice in a project maths school that this doesn't mean it will be a junior cert standard question. The content being examined will be the junior certificate content but the standard of question on it will be of leaving cert standard if you get me

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mwalimu

Agreed. But the rest of the content from LC strand 2 (apart from the synthetic geometry) is also content for such questions in Section B.

Advertisement