Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on moving to Ireland from Uk

Options
  • 05-12-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there,

A friend is moving to Ireland from the UK to work, he is plumber by trade. Just looking for any information that would be helpful really. What would he need to get set up here? Is there much plumbing work in Dublin or surrounding areas. Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Lots and lots of unemployed tradesmen so he may have a hard time finding work.

He knows the Irish economy is absolutely banjaxed at the moment, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 superpig

well he may be able to transfer his current job but just looking at all options in case that doesn't work out.

as is the UK economy, maybe not as bad, but banjaxed all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Tell him stay away, unless he wants to live in the gutter that is the Irish economic climate at present. And we wont be out of the mire anytime soon.

Thanks very much for the comments guys and not being smart but I was actually looking for something a bit more useful, I am well aware of the state of the Irish economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I think our answers are useful...

• Advertisement

well just say he did get work over here, as unlikely as you think that may be, what would he need to get set up here? obviously bank account etc, and i presume he would need to get a pps number and stuff like that, how does he go about that? anything else you can think of?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Tell him to get a few bills in his name even if its ntl just for broadband,
    You cant do anything in this country without a bill in your name these days,
    If he hasnt got somewhere to stay just yet hell need to be looking on daft and soring a place out, have him call the landlord and explain the situation maybe the ll will let him start using the address.
    Then go to revenue.ie and apply for a pps number he needs an address for this.
    after that everything kind of falls into place.
    adjusting to prices pubs and rip offs hopefuly will be an easy thing for him.
    Godd luck.

ps not being a motorist i dont know if having a uk licence will afeect him or insurance etc might want to look into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

ps not being a motorist i dont know if having a uk licence will afeect him or insurance etc might want to look into that.

Having a UK licence doesn't affect your insurance. You can legally drive here with an EEA licence as long as it's valid. But you'll need to provide proof of any NCB to the Irish insurer.

BTW - tell your mate that the only insurer that will provide cover from the UK and beyond here in Ireland is Quinn if he's driving over. The others will only provide between 60-90 days cover in Ireland (and the EU come to that). I learnt this the hard way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Tell your friend he will need a Medical card to get his head examined - talk of going from the frying pan into the fire...........

• Registered Users Posts: 25,799 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I tend to agree with the negative posters ...

But assuming he's got a good reason for coming:

If he's not an EU passport-holder, then he needs an appropriate visa, and to visit a Garda Immigration office - I think within a few days of arriving in the country. He then needs to tell them every time he moves house. Check the immigration website for details.

He needs to get an address. Either rent a place (not advised before getting a job, IMHO) or stay in a backpacker hostel for a few weeks and they'll give him a letter saying he lives there. Or let him stay with you ... and sign a letter "To whom it may concern" saying he's your housemate - be aware that if you have more than one of these, you may need to pay tax on the rent he should be paying.

Once he has proof of address, he needs to go to Welfare (the Department of Social Protection) and apply for a PPS number. He will also need a passport, possibly and also a long form birth certificate - check their website.

Once he has two forms of address ID (usually the letter from the landlord or hostel, and a letter from Revenue), he can get a bank account. (Maybe visit the bank of choice sooner, just to check what their specific requirments are, some want a letter from the employer too.)

If he's planning to stay for more than 12 months, he needs to swap his driving licence over. Research the local motor-tax office re where to do this - again, proof of address (perhaps multiple) needed.

If he's going to be self-employed, he needs to register with Revenue, and he needs to sort out public liability insurance. OTOH, if gets a job as an employee, he should send Revenue a form 12A as soon as he gets a job.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    If he has a UK licence he does not need to swap it to an Irish one. This is a big misconception even amongst the Gards.

See here
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html

Holders of licences issued by an EU/EEA member state

If you have a driving licence issued by an EU/EEA member state you can drive in Ireland as long as your existing licence is valid. If you wish to exchange your driving licence for an equivalent Irish driving licence, you must do so within 10 years of your driving licence expiring.

So he just needs to make sure he renews his UK licence every 10 years (as the photo card part expires).

If you need any further info feel free to PM me (I'm English been here 3 years now)

Fran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

superpig wrote: »
    Hi there,

A friend is moving to Ireland from the UK to work, he is plumber by trade. Just looking for any information that would be helpful really. What would he need to get set up here? Is there much plumbing work in Dublin or surrounding areas. Cheers :)

Just as a matter on interest, what part of the UK is he moving from? England North, South, South East, Norfolk, Liverpool, Midlands (Birmingham)? Scotland Highlands, Lowlands, Glasgow, Dundee, Wales-Holyhead? Cardiff, Northern Ireland ? Belfast? What part of the UK is he coming from?

Accents are important in Dublin ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,799 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Fran79 wrote: »
    Hi
    If he has a UK licence he does not need to swap it to an Irish one. This is a big misconception even amongst the Gards.

For someone who will be on the road a lot, it could be worth exchanging it just to avoid the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Hi there,

There is plumbing work around Dublin area, but the competition is very high. However, if your friend can prove that he can do it quicker and cheaper than the competition, then he could get some decent amount of work for himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

JustMary wrote: »
    For someone who will be on the road a lot, it could be worth exchanging it just to avoid the hassle.

Nope. As already stated, as long as the driver has the appropriate licence and insurance, then there'll be no hassle from the Gards. It's legal to drive here with an EU/EEA licence, and there's NO need to change it to an Irish one unless you really want to.

I'm English, hold a full UK licence and have NEVER had a problem with the Gards. I just give them my Irish addy, and then I'm on my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Hi there,

This forum will be helpful to you:
    http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

OP I won’t brother to look at that website. It’s full of the nonsense and quotes such as the Irish are too lazy to x or y. My Eastern European employees think the Irish are alcoholic’s etc. complete nonsense. That site doesn’t represent anything positive about living in Ireland as a foreigner and is mostly hyperbole.
    As a swede I think Ireland and its people are brilliant, but things are tough here at the moment. So either do a recee visit or make contacts with people in Ireland, either way best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I have noticed that some people state that you get your PPSN from Revenue... that is not the case you get your PPSN from Dept of Social Protection. You will need photographic ID.... passport and proof of address... tenancy agreement.

Advertisement