Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend / Low Mileage Car Insurance

Options
  • 05-12-2011 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

The cars in question:

1. '02 Honda Integra Type R (2Litre, 220bhp, DC5, Jap import)
    2. '06 BMW 520d (2Litre, 187bhp)

I have a long commute these days, that's why I bought the beamer. BUT, i want to drive the Integra at the weekend. Both cars are in my name.

Is there any insurance option that will allow me to drive my Beamer any time, and only lets me drive my Integra at the weekends, OR only allows me to do 2,000 miles a year.

If i get 2 separate policies, it would cost me a fortune between tax and insurance. Any ideas? How do you guys handle this?

Appreciate your feedback...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

ldusoswa wrote: »
    The cars in question:

1. '02 Honda Integra Type R (2Litre, 220bhp, DC5, Jap import)
    2. '06 BMW 520d (2Litre, 187bhp)

I have a long commute these days, that's why I bought the beamer. BUT, i want to drive the Integra at the weekend. Both cars are in my name.

Is there any insurance option that will allow me to drive my Beamer any time, and only lets me drive my Integra at the weekends, OR only allows me to do 2,000 miles a year.

If i get 2 separate policies, it would cost me a fortune between tax and insurance. Any ideas? How do you guys handle this?

Appreciate your feedback...

You will have to get seperate policies as two different assets being insured. You can ask insurers to reduce price for low mileage but its not a lot generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Richie_c

Unfortunately not, there's no multi car policies provided in the Irish market, the only way to do it is to have 2 separate policies

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭ldusoswa

Surely there are people who have a solution... I'm willing to pay the additional motor tax...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Richie_c

Surely there are people who have a solution... I'm willing to pay the additional motor tax...

Nope, you may find someone to mirror your NCB but not all companies will do it unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Richie_c wrote: »
    Nope, you may find someone to mirror your NCB but not all companies will do it unfortunately

Hard to get them to do that even so OP will most likely be able to use his NCB with one insurer.

OP speak with a good broker and outline your requirements and they may have the insurer for you.

• Advertisement

What i'm thinking of doing (please advise)

I'm insured on my primary vehicle with Quinn. They allow me to drive any other car, provided it's road worthy (NCT) and provided I have the owner's permission. The trouble is, it can't be your car (my secondary is in my name too). The other car doesn't need insurance, and doesn't even need tax for insurance to be valid. Obviously you need tax to be allowed to use the roads.

I'm thinking that i'll simply put the second car in someone else's name, then i'll be insured on the rare occasion that I drive it.

can anyone spot any holes in this argument? It's the only way i can drive two cars it seems. I called up Quinn and asked what my options were, but short of shelling out an extra 1500euro per year, I can't have a second car legally :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm thinking that i'll simply put the second car in someone else's name, then i'll be insured on the rare occasion that I drive it....

I imagine that you would still consider it to be your car. You could end up in deep doo-doo if you had to make a claim.

I'm thinking that i'll simply put the second car in someone else's name, then i'll be insured on the rare occasion that I drive it....

I imagine that you would still consider it to be your car. You could end up in deep doo-doo if you had to make a claim.

Not really... It's her car now... I just drive it occasionally... I literally drive it 2 hours a week... If I ever want to drive it a whole weekend I'll just do a temp change... If there was a better way to pay a proportionate amount of insurance i'd be all over it. This is my only realistic option without breaking the law as far as I can see...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... I'm willing to pay the additional motor tax...
    You are obliged to pay motor tax on your cars; it's not additional motor tax, it' simply tax on a car.

Reading through you last few posts, it sounds like you have already conspired with a third-party to avoid paying motor-tax and insurance on the Honda while continuing to use the car on the road. If that's the case, I hope you're caught and prosecuted. If I got the chance I'd gladly report you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Not really... It's her car now... I just drive it occasionally... I literally drive it 2 hours a week... If I ever want to drive it a whole weekend I'll just do a temp change... If there was a better way to pay a proportionate amount of insurance i'd be all over it. This is my only realistic option without breaking the law as far as I can see...

I see. If it's to be "her car" and she doesn't insure it, and you are the only person to drive it, then I would expect the insurance company to have a hard look at the situation if ever you made a claim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement