Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I get a Guinea Pig?

Options
  • 05-12-2011 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I’m posting here in the hope of gaining some practical advice. I’m thinking about getting a couple of guinea pigs, and have spent a few weeks browsing around the internet getting as much information as I can on them. I want to make sure that I can afford to take care of them properly, and that I have the time to do all the things that they require. I do still have a few questions before making the final decision though, and was wondering if anyone out there who owns some of these cuties could help me out.

1) Roughly how much a week do they cost to keep? Not talking cages etc, but food, bedding and the like.

2) I’m planning on buying a large cage, but understand they still need to be allowed out to play. About how much time a day does a healthy (and happy) piggy need out of his/her cage?

3) Where should I get one? I know that this might sound like a silly question, but I have come across so many horror stories in my browsing that I want to make sure that I know the animals come from a healthy and happy environment. Obviously I’m also looking at the DSPCA option, but they state that they don’t always have them (which can only be good I assume) so I’m wondering about other options.

4) Lots of sites say that over feeding is a big no-no, but I can’t seem to find one that says what the correct amount of daily food is.

If there are any other words of wisdom that you wish to pass on that you think would help, they would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Here's a link to my website it will give you a step by step guide one what to do http://www.freewebs.com/guineapigcottage/

If you can't find some in rescues, have a look at the various ads out there sometimes people are giving their pigs away because they can't cope with them..or other reasons just make sure if you do go this route that they are healthy.

There are a few responsible breeders like with buying any pet check them out to make sure they are genuine before parting with any money. I am all for rescue as the first port of call, but a responsible breeder that doesn't sell to shops and cares about where their pigs are going is the next best thing.

Day to day care isn't expensive, use hay and newspaper as bedding if you want you can also use little fleece blankets/hideys or vet bed. Generally guinea pigs are cheaper than a dog or cat when it comes to vet costs for basic things because they are smaller they use less medication and but obviously you'd need to keep vet bills in mind because you never know what will crop up.

Definetly get a book or two esp. Peter Gurneys before you go ahead so you know what to look for in a healthy pig. You can make piggy pens out of panels or piggy proof a room..so many options, some are on my website.
    Gorgeous guineas is an excellent site for advice and piggy products as well well worth getting the basics from them before you get the pigs as well, like the origional 4 oil shampoo..get a few different types if you like better off getting the smaller sample bottles which work out cheaper and more economical if you only have two pigs because they have a best before date being natural products.

Cost wise a good quality hay will cost about a fiver a week, but that depends where you buy. You could get a good quality bale of have for 4 or 5 euro from a farmer if you have somewhere to store it this works out the cheapest. Veggies depend on what you buy, buy in season and organic when possible but Aldi/Lidl do organic and other veggies very cheap anyway.
    Buy a good quality dry food like Burgess Excel (orange bag) for guinea pigs not sure how much it is at the mo but it will last you ages with two pigs you only need a small amount a day, half a mug full usually but depends on their size/age etc. Avoid dry foods that have colours and additives etc.

All guineas are different but you'll get an idea of how much veg to feed after a few days. On an avereage day for two guineas I used to feed maybe a large carrot..chopped or sliced, half an apple, 4 florets of broccoli or cauliflower. All depends on what's in the house on the day but daily veg is important and fruit only as a treat. More info on my site about herbs and treats etc.

Hope that helps (bet your sorry you asked now..I tend to waffle on when it comes to guineas).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

don't get one..... get two!

(and make sure they're same sex:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pennylady

Sigma Force -Thanks so much for the info, it’s been really helpful. I think I’m gonna go ahead and begin getting all the stuff I need to start off, after spending so long looking at all the adorable pictures on the websites I’ve been on I don’t think I have any choice left. :D But now at least I feel like I have an idea of what’s ahead of me.

PlanetX – Don’t worry I’m planning on getting two, but yeah, it’s going to be a ‘same sex school’ in my house, don’t want any happy ‘accidents’!

Thanks again, can’t wait to be all set up so I can go get my new critters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Best of luck with them! They're such gorgeous little things, and so joyous!

I worked out a few weeks ago that my pigs cost me €80 each per year (so a bit over a euro a week each), but mine are pretty spoiled. That doesn't include their vet check-ups though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

When I had a lot of guineas to feed I used to go to Superquinn in the veg section people cut off their cauliflower and brocolli ends and you can bag them up and get them for free, known as a 'bunny bag'. Not sure if they still do that but worth a try.

• Advertisement
Advertisement