Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Your Genre?

Options
  • 05-12-2011 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Today I discovered that when I listen to Meshuggah, some would say I was listening to a form of music called 'djent'. I grew out of genres when I was about 17, I still listen to predominantly heavy music but I'd like to think that anything I listen to is because I like it, rather than because some genre nazi decreed it to be okay because it fit certain parameters.

How important is genre to everyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Genre usually only dictates music I'm pretty sure I will like or won't like depending on which one it is, but of course there's always exceptions to the rule, both for stuff I like and which I hate. I usually steer well clear of doom/black/death metal but there's a few instances in which I'll like certain songs or artists. Likewise I love traditional heavy metal/power metal but there can be some things that can be way too cheesy or totally overbearing in these subgenres too.

I'll probably never like country music though. God, the horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Genre is of no real importance to me, unless I want to choose which band the act is ripping off;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Generally I only follow the genre in a broad sense, using it to help me find bands I might like. I lean towards the extreme metals, (death/black/doom) and using those without getting into the area of convoluted sub-genres helps me to find new bands I might like.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I fucking hate the name djent. As I wrote before I have no idea why someone saw fit to start using a different name and worse, why no one told them to stop being silly. What's next, will stuff from Yngwie Malmsteen start being known as "widdly, widdly, waah"?

As for genre being important or not, I believe it is but only to an extent. I know instinctively what to expect from some genres e.g. brutal, power, black, doom, thrash or experimental. Once genres start getting combined or worse renamed (see bloody "djent") then it's hard to know for sure what to expect. Experimental blackened doom thrash probably exists but I've no idea what to expect from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Genre is of no real importance to me, unless I want to choose which band the act is ripping off;)

This annoys the f*ck out of me. I have a certain band in mind that are just a complete rip of AC/DC (I don't really like them), but are a carbon copy that everyone go mad for.............Airborne.....? Is that them? Anyway, sh!te.

I know what I likes, genres only help explain what it sounds like to other listeners. You can go "Well, it sounds like this band crossed with this one and this one." or you can go "Well it sounds like this genre with a little of this."

I don't really care much about genres but I agree they need to exist to categorise styles so fans of it can explain to newbs or other fans what they're in to.

Personally I like everything from Death Metal to Sludge bit of drone, doom, stoner.

I like how the site Metal Archives sticks to the bare bones of what genres you can search by. Haven't a f*ckin' clue what some new ones are.

http://www.metal-archives.com/browse/genre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I prefer the jeet-kune-do approach myself - you're aware of the forms but choose to apply them in a free flowing manner without rigid structure.

viadah wrote: »
    I prefer the jeet-kune-do approach myself - you're aware of the forms but choose to apply them in a free flowing manner without rigid structure.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

As far as I can make out, soon each band will be their own genre and that will be an end to it.

For a music as tolerant and open as hard rock/heavy metal in general is, I find this obsession with genres in certain quarters very puzzling.

chin_grin wrote: »
    :confused:

From Bruce Lee:

'I have not invented a "new style," composite, modified or otherwise that is set within distinct form as apart from "this" method or "that" method. On the contrary, I hope to free my followers from clinging to styles, patterns, or molds. Remember that Jeet Kune Do is merely a name used, a mirror in which to see "ourselves".'

Bit philosophical for this hour of the day, but as applied to the question of genre, I think it elegant.

And no, I have no interest in martial arts. Too fat and lazy.

viadah wrote: »
    From Bruce Lee:

'I have not invented a "new style," composite, modified or otherwise that is set within distinct form as apart from "this" method or "that" method. On the contrary, I hope to free my followers from clinging to styles, patterns, or molds. Remember that Jeet Kune Do is merely a name used, a mirror in which to see "ourselves".'

Bit philosophical for this hour of the day, but as applied to the question of genre, I think it elegant.

And no, I have no interest in martial arts. Too fat and lazy.

I got the link all right, was just wondering did you post in the wrong forum! :pac:

As I said we don't need them, but they're useful (genres). Especially when describing what to avoid. (emo/screamcore.........actually any new metal bands that aren't proper death or black).

• Advertisement

Interestingly, a lot of people seem to be referring to the unimportance of genre while referring to the genre they prefer or don't prefer......

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

My genre is Melodic Death Metal. Now, throw me anything from any genre and I'll give it a fair chance. If I like it I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I like a lot of different genres, from Glam to thrash to death metal.

Genre isnt really important, its quality of the music that matters.

Indeed, im thinking about getting another tattoo - a first band one - and am stuck between Motley Crue and Deicide :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Genre is important is some respects and completely useless in others.

If you're trying to describe a band or a song to someone genre is useful in describing what it is. Probably the most useful short of comparison to other bands. Also for the anal amongst us it's good for organising your music library :o

On the other hand many great bands could, and I'm sure have been, disregarded based solely on the genre they're pegged into. Not completely blacklisted obviously but overlooked nonetheless by many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

When I get a CD and it downloads the genre from whatever cddb database my player looks up, I get all sorts of puzzling descriptions such as "Progressive Sludge Metal", "Avant-Garde Post Metal" or "Jazz Thrash Speed Metal" ? It's a bit like if you go into a supermarket and seeing a sign for "Rock Salmon"... it's really just dogfish but it sounds more appetising when called rock salmon.. I think record companies / labels make up alot of these genres to either sell more product or add something new to an album that would otherwise be classed as sh1te.

/rant over.... I'll go hide the genre tab on my music player again lol

Advertisement