Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afraid of Santa Claus

Options
  • 04-12-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

So we put up some of our X-mas decorations today, one of them includes a light up Santa which is about 60cm tall which my mother put under the stairs. Afterwards I brought the dog in only to have him start braking and growling, as if to say why is there a tiny red man under the stairs?, can't you see him too, look! look! I find this slightly ironic as he was my X-mas present to myself last year:rolleyes:

I had to cover said Santa with a hoody so he would walk past him and follow me up the stairs to bed. Just another one of the wonderful Boxerly quirks which I had not yet discovered. He is hilarious, I think if he could talk he would be like Dug from Up.

Anyone else's dogs have strange fears?

Here is a recent pic of Cooper, the scardy Boxer, who is 14 months.

IMG_0745.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

The Dalmatian freaked out at a Christmas Log on TV yesterday - wife had paused on some cookery show with a freshly baked/iced chocolate Christmas log and the dog refused to stop barking until we had fast forwarded to another section...

The Dalmatian is odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

lol look at the mischievous head on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Yup my last dog was terrified of Santa to, We used to put him in the hall and she had to be carried past it as she just stood there shaking and barking. Lasted 2 days and the thing was hidden away.

I'm scared to put out this years decorations as my dopey nosy boy as to investigate everything including putting his head in the tumble dryer as i'm putting clothes in and investigating everything that comes into the house. So the tree is going to end up on floor without a doubt. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

I cant think of anything my dog is afraid off, he used to be terrified of the hoover, but now he loves it. And he loves the Christmas tree, when it goes up he likes to sit under it. There'll be a few prezzies under it for him again this year :)

Here he is last year....

006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

I'm actually delaying decorating the house because of the dog this year! It's her first christmas here so it'll be a new experience for us all! But based on ordinary, every day life - christmas decorations going up will cause havoc for sure! If anything gets moved (jackets hung on a different door - shopping bags left in the hall, then moved to the upstairs landing - hoover being put back in a different place - you name it!) she tends to treat that object as enemy number one. Well - as much as possible from a complete wuss of a dog! The fur goes up on her neck - queue growling barking and whining - all from behind me/OH/another object of course!

For the last few weeks I had a few shirts I'd bought for my dad hanging on the outside of the closet (out of cat reach!) before sending them off to him for christmas - last night I took them down to make sure they'd fit in the box I was sending all his gifts in - when I hung them back up they were in a different order so a hoodie type jacket was in front and I put them on the other closet door (a mere few inches from where they previously hung). She went into the bedroom last night - no problem - laid on the end of the bed - no problem - chewed her bone for about an hour while I was online and reading - no problem - out of NOWHERE she looked around the room - spotted the change and went mental! Wouldn't settle or be consoled or anything until the items were taken away and put into another room :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So I can only imagine what the reaction to christmas items all over the place will be! Needless to say our motion sensor/singing/"dancing" Santa will probably spend his festive season under the stairs where he spends his time the rest of the year! That would probably give the poor pup a mental breakdown to see him grooving and the lights flashing - and the music - even humans find it scary! Hence why it was so funny to buy it! I'm not really sure even I'll miss him this year! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We put up our tree over the weekend and as expected the dog sat in her bed all night with a face on her. Moving furniture, hanging things up, we're monsters.

There was one bauble hanging on the bottom of the tree, really hanging right out. When we were done with the tree, she walked close to it, headbutted the bauble and rubbed herself along it. Funny, we thought, she's so uncoordinated. Then it happened again later. And again. Then we noticed that every time she had to walk by the tree, she would deliberately walk over, headbutt and rub along this bauble and keep going. She'd cross the room to do it. And it's a glittery one, so every time she did it, there'd be glitter on her and on the floor.

So we had to move the bauble elsewhere on the tree, and now she just ignores the tree. Mental bloody dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

During the snow last year I had to introduce my Jazz to every snowman we came across as they frightened the life out of her... I'm sure my neighbours thought I was mental :p

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

During the snow last year I had to introduce my Jazz to every snowman we came across as they frightened the life out of her... I'm sure my neighbours thought I was mental :p

I actually burst out laughing at the mental picture this produced! I can see "you" with the dog out for a walk, standing in the freezing cold "chatting" to a snowman! :D:p;) "Hello Mr Snowman, cold out tonight isn't it........" "Say Hi to Mr Snowman Jazz, he's a lovely friendly man" and so on and so on! :p

I laugh - but trust me - I've had to lure my girl around worse obstacles than snow men! I had to kneel down and "pet" a broken flower pot that had fallen off someones wall to show her it was ok and to get us walking past it! Oh, and bins - I also spend alot of time patting bins to give her the same impression.

My neighbours KNOW I'm stone cold bonkers at this point though, so I don't even bother keeping up appearances now! :D:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

He went about his business today not a bother, went upstairs by himself to get get his Kong Wubba and everything, we just arrived back from our walk and he refused to come in the front door with Santa staring at him, I had to coax him in the door and walk into the kitchen with a 30KG Boxer hiding behind my legs:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 crimsonsunset

We have had exactly the same problem with our 20 month old boxer, he is absolutely petrified of our light up santa in the sitting room! He started by barking at Santa, proceeded to try to paw the life out of him, before retreating to his basket and growling at him:) Here is a picture of the'brave dog' Ali a few months ago with our 8 month old female boxer Jesse Ali 336.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

We have had exactly the same problem with our 20 month old boxer, he is absolutely petrified of our light up santa in the sitting room! He started by barking at Santa, proceeded to try to paw the life out of him, before retreating to his basket and growling at him:) Here is a picture of the'brave dog' Ali a few months ago with our 8 month old female boxer Jesse Ali 336.JPG

Aww, you have 2 I want two! Both gorgeous btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wee dog here is scared of nothing.. only time she was ever worried was when someone brought a bear to visit (newfie) That was a wonderful sight as she is a bumptious wee canine... She looked up at this gentle great head and swallowed nervously... 'twas a moment to savour!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

My dog is scared of a ........ sweeping brush, yes, you read it right! and why you ask well when he was a puppy the brush fell over and........ made a noise:eek: didnt hit him maybe 3 metres away from it but i have never seen him run so fast:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My dog is afraid of LOADS of things.. Last week he barked at reindeer lights sonembody had put in their garden - I wouldn't mind if they were the light up model kind but they're just an outline of lights if that makes sense!:..yesterday on the way home from our walk a man was in his driveway getting ready to go out in his car.. only bold boy didn't see the man so when he opened the gate he got a fright, ducked and then kind of jumped sideways out of the way catching me in the leg.. Luckily I was able to keep my balance or I would have fallen in the mud with all the people in the traffic laughing at me lol!! :rolleyes:Last week we were later than usual on our walk and the bells went off at 6:00pm in the church which he didn't like at all and proves my theory - he's a devil lol! :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

One of our dogs is really nervous of ladders (this used to include ironing boards but she eventually got over that), and has been ever since she was a pup. When I lived in another house, she used to hear the windowcleaners getting closer from streets away, and would cower under the table or behind the sofa until they left the area. She's a bit better now, and can cope with a ladder when it's just standing, but not when it's being moved (it's the scaping that drives her mad). Unfortunately, we have builderes and decorators working inside and out at the moment, and she refuses to come anywhere near the house once they've arrived each morning. I have to wrap her in a coat and pop her into the car so she can snooze for the day cocooned in a safe little world. You have to love the oddities of the dog world!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Rich11 wrote: »
    My dog is scared of a ........ sweeping brush, yes, you read it right! and why you ask well when he was a puppy the brush fell over and........ made a noise:eek: didnt hit him maybe 3 metres away from it but i have never seen him run so fast:)

Wee dog LOVES brushes; she fights them... sweeping cannot be done with her in the room.. Oh how she goes at them... teeth engaged and snarling and worrying it as if it were prey.

She will not let go and you can drag her round as she growls and snarls.

Sweeping becomes impossible as we are helpless laughing; daft as a brush fits her..

Advertisement