Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

and people wonder why the c.c. is axeled

Options
  • 04-12-2011 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭

the wan next door is in her 60s, so last saturday she decided to head into the c.c. have a ramble around and donate a few euros to the hard pressed stores, well as wimmin do she parked de car traipsed around to see what she thought she wanted, that done she had the minor inconvenience of her watch stopping, she entered a jewellery shop to get the battery changed, not a bother said the high powered girl friday, job done in about a minute, she was handed her watch back with a request for 10.99 euro for services rendered, with her senses reeling from the shock she decided to forgo any more shopping and return to he car and leave for home, her parking experience for two hours approx set her back 3.60 roughly, the lesson learned she wont be back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭phog

My wife paid €13 for a similar job in Dundrum SC during the week. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I paid €6 in JJ Kenneallys a few weeks ago for a new battery and fitting.

Maybe its the battery not the shop....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Dalys in Upper Wickham St usually charged me €6.

This was in contrast to another Jewellery chain who told me that the watch would have to be sent back to Japan to get it done!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

flutered wrote: »
    the lesson learned she wont be back.

Won't be back to the one shop in the city centre, or the car park? Or the whole city centre??
    Something as stupid as that shouldn't put people off the city centre... There are cheaper car parks, and common sense would say that you ask how much something should cost before agreeing to have it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭phog

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Dalys in Upper Wickham St usually charged me €6.

This was in contrast to another Jewellery chain who told me that the watch would have to be sent back to Japan to get it done!

It depends on the watch and the jeweller, if the watch has a proper water seal than some jewellers wont accept resonsibility in resealing so it goes to the manufacturer or a recognised agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭flutered

Won't be back to the one shop in the city centre, or the car park? Or the whole city centre??
    Something as stupid as that shouldn't put people off the city centre... There are cheaper car parks, and common sense would say that you ask how much something should cost before agreeing to have it done.

something as stupid as that should not put people off, can you not answer your own question, if as you say something is stupid then the obvious thing to do is to correct it, not to try and educate someone in their 60s. these two women have been used to free parking stress free shopping, then BANG, they see themselves as victims not as women in need of education, how many others have befallen the same fate, please do not be an apologist for the c.c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

something as stupid as that should not put people off, can you not answer your own question, if as you say something is stupid then the obvious thing to do is to correct it, not to try and educate someone in their 60s. these two women have been used to free parking stress free shopping, then BANG, they see themselves as victims not as women in need of education, how many others have befallen the same fate, please do not be an apologist for the c.c.

Ah here, I can't remember free parking in the city centre, certainly not since the 80s anyway and probably the 70s, so these ladies have had at least 20 years to get used to paying for parking. It's not like parking charges were introduced last week.

As for the watch, being in her 60s surely she's made quite a number of purchases in her time and knows the basic rules of commerce. My gran is in her 80s and she knows to ask the price of a service before going ahead with it.

Yes the city centre is in decline, but not for the reasons you're stating.

source wrote: »
    Ah here, I can't remember free parking in the city centre, certainly not since the 80s anyway and probably the 70s, so these ladies have had at least 20 years to get used to paying for parking. It's not like parking charges were introduced last week

they have yet to come into force at the cresent, the parkway and childers road.

source wrote: »
    Ah here, I can't remember free parking in the city centre, certainly not since the 80s anyway and probably the 70s, so these ladies have had at least 20 years to get used to paying for parking. It's not like parking charges were introduced last week.

As for the watch, being in her 60s surely she's made quite a number of purchases in her time and knows the basic rules of commerce. My gran is in her 80s and she knows to ask the price of a service before going ahead with it.
    as i know her for a long time i can with certaintly say that she walked into the store and said, may i have the battery changed in this watch, as is most likely in the last twelve months, she or someone that she knows had this done at a cost of 6 or 7 euro.

[

Yes the city centre is in decline, but not for the reasons you're stating.[/QUOTE]

i would have them up there in the top two, if not at the top then very near it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

they have yet to come into force at the cresent, the parkway and childers road.

The Crescent, Parkway and Childers Road are all privately owned shopping centres, who provide free parking to their customers. Once more I find it hard to believe that your neighbour didn't know parking in a car park in town would cost her. Especially seeing as car parks advertise their rates at the entrance to the car park, at the lifts/stairs and on the pay machines.
    as i know her for a long time i can with certaintly say that she walked into the store and said, may i have the battery changed in this watch, as is most likely in the last twelve months, she or someone that she knows had this done at a cost of 6 or 7 euro.

So you can with certainty say that the woman presumed the cost of the service rather than checking the cost for herself. It's basic consumer awareness to check the cost of something before committing to the purchase.
    i would have them up there in the top two, if not at the top then very near it.

Your neighbours poor consumer awareness and inability to read the list of a car parks charges is not bringing the city down. There are a great many factors affecting this city.

Poor councillors, doughnut effect, inadequate number of parking spaces, poor selection of shops, high rates are a few of the problems causing the city centre to decline.

Not your neighbours poor grasp on consumerism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

complaining like this is just finding something/anything to have a whinge over. FFS, being in your 60s isn't even old these days. my mother is in her late 70s and wouldn't even consider herself old. Parking in private car parks has always had a charge (remember the old Arthurs Quay car park in the 70s ??). I think even street parking is free at the moment on Friday and Sat afternoons so that isn't even a relevant point. Not asking the price of the repair before going ahead is just plain bad shopping and budgeting. Please don't use this example as another stick to knock the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

anyone silly enough to park the car and then ignore the signs advertising the rates per hour deserves to get a shock. anyone who doesn't ask how much something will cost beforehand should probably not be trusted with money in the first place.....

kinda blunt and harsh, but that's my opinion.

Advertisement