Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance..

Options
  • 04-12-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey,

I'm hoping you could help me out.

I know max rent supp is €529 in Dublin.

If I find a place that is €700 a month, how much rent supplement will I get a month?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

AFAIK, nothing.
    You will be refused because you can't go over the amount set for your area and circumstance (single etc)

Note that the max rent will more than likely be reduced after Tuesday and minimum contribution likely to rise.

For those that qualify for RA, at the moment a minimum 24e per week contribution is required before any other funds you have are taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

If the guidelines state that €529 is the maximum amount for Rent Supplement in Dublin for a single person this means that €529 is the maximum amount that should be paid to the landlord not the maximum you will get for RS. A lot of people top up the amount they get in RS to meet the difference but it is frowned upon by the Dept of Social Protection.

Everyone must pay a minimum of €24 per week thats equal to €104 per month. If you only receive a basic social welfare payment of €188 then you will get €529 less minimum contribution of €104, therefore you should get €425 per month RS. That means you will have to hand over €175 per month to pay rent of €700.

Hope this makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Also my mate told me that when he was applying for rent allowance the Social Welfare sent someone out to view the property and they decided that the price requested by the landlord was higher than their valuation. He was then authorised for the SW valuation.

In other words don't assume the SW are going to hand over what the landlord is asking just because it's within the maximum amount for that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ceekay123

Thanks everyone!
    Really helped

Advertisement