Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goals for 2012

• 04-12-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

I know it's a bit early, but people seem to be posting their goals for next year in the Goals 2011 thread, so I thought I'd start a new thread for it. People might want to re-post their goals to tidy things up or new people can just put theirs here. Here's mine:

My 2011 wasn't too eventful as far as BJJ and MMA are concerned, just kept training and improving. I'm happy with how I have improved, especially in the last three weeks since I have started training very hard for the BJJ Europeans (which are at the end of January).

My goals for 2012:
    1. To compete in every Irish competition I can, starting with the N.I Open in January, and medal in a few of the bigger ones!
    2. To go to Lisbon for the Euros and do myself and my team proud, whether I lose, win one match or win a medal. I hope to have a great time and see the rake of medals that I feel SBG and Ireland will take in.
    3. I want to improve leaps and bounds in my all-round MMA game, by working on my boxing and wrestling a lot straight after the Europeans, up to a level in which I can hang with any Irish amatuer on the feet, take them down and work my game.
    4. I hope to have atleast 3 or 4 amatuer fights next year, with my goal being to fight on Cage Contender at one point.
    5. I will test for my Purple belt mid-year, and if I continue improving at a fast rate, I hope to get at least 4 tips on my Blue belt. A Purple belt would make my year! (But I will have to work very hard!)
    6. And to be able to continue training 15-20 hours a week.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

As far as goals for 2012 go for me

1) work towards medalling and hopefully becoming an Irish champion in wrestling
    2)Work towards becoming a more complete fighter work on more boxing
    3) Enter as many competitions as my body and time permits
    4) Work towards my blue belt in BJJ
    5) Work to support and help my team mates as much as I can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I don't know why but it might be just me. I don't want to set goals that come next year I might be annoyed at if I don't get to them, either way.

1) Going to compete in the Euros in January. I could lose my first fight in under and minute or I could win a couple of fights. It's the 3 months hard training I'm putting in before hand is what's going to make me a better player regardless. I'm 19 and have a long time for BJJ ahead of me.

2) Get my Blue Belt in early 2012. In February I will be training 12 months in the Gi and 18 months overall.

3) Train more. Since the start of November I've been training Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturdays. Sometimes twice a day and I've loved it. It's been a welcome change from Wednesday and Saturday. Really looking forward to a time hopefully next September where I can train a lot more up in Dublin.

4) Better Game. I'm used to training with guys at least 15KG heavier than I am. So the game I use in tournaments means I get smashed in training. Joey B keeps using the quote Top is King. So I'm pretty sure my next development in training will be top game.

5) Compete. I'm aiming to compete in 10 competitions in 2012. Medals again I don't want to be too over eager. 3 tournaments in 2011 and 2 medals. Hoping to get to the UK for a tournament too.

6) Introduce others - BJJ has become a massive part of my life. The fact I'm on the verge of my blue belt and going to Lisbon in a sport I got into because I got a bit of a bashing from this website is quite encouraging. I want to get as many of my mates into BJJ next year so they can enjoy it as much as I can.

7) Coach ? My old secondary school are getting a brand new gym during the summer and I told my old PE teacher about the Europeans. He mentioned the new gym would have mats for PE and that he would see about getting me in once they've settled in just to see if there is an interest in the school. Even if its just making them do drills and teaching them the odd technique so they'll come to the classes I attend that would be even better.

8) Train abroad. I trained in France during the summer and loved it. Would love to travel somewhere even just for 2 weeks or a Month and train flat out.

9) MMA ? Due to a horrific viewing incident of a local clubs fighters all be beaten by strikes from mount. I said I'd never fight until I could handle myself on the ground, I'll look into this somewhere down 2012 line maybe when I'm up in Dublin.

Roll on 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

Make time to start training again
    Get fit again as fast as possible
    Begin sparring
    Hopefully intensify my training enough so that i can fight for first time in a comp sometime end of this year/next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Would love to have some major goals to set for myself bjj wise but until i get a 9 to 5 job were i know what days ill be working from day to day can only say i aim to train at least 2 hours everyday I'm not working and compete in every tournament i can and medal in at least one blue belt tournament.
    if i can't get a proper job ill be on here in a couple months asking you guys to recommend a good place in Australia to train ;)
    would also like to get back to the 76kg weight division.

good luck to all of you

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

Goals:

* Get fit and healthy
    * Attend more classes
    * Work towards getting my blue belt
    * Feel confident and be more focused with training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

Start training in bjj and get back into kick boxing. Concentrate more on training and less on going out!! Hopefully compete as and when i can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Get my Judo black belt.. And its really that simple.

If a level II coaching course come up with Coaching Ireland & The Irish Judo Association I'll take that to add to last years level I.

Armbar Paul Cowzer :p

Grow this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

To improve (reach a level of :eek:) the level of consistency in my training.

[Find myself having a good run and then a few bad weeks and back to square one again.....:( ]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Armbar Paul Cowzer :p

You haven't armbared Cowzer yet? Sure he's only a wee fella! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I'm hoping to move up to Dublin for job training next year. Hopefully that will work out and I can start some training up there as well, but I want up my weightlifting progress as well.

• Advertisement

I'm definitely getting back into Judo in 2012. Do I need a certain number of points from competing in tournaments to test for Blue and Brown or does that only apply for Black Belt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I'm definitely getting back into Judo in 2012. Do I need a certain number of points from competing in tournaments to test for Blue and Brown or does that only apply for Black Belt?
    You need 2 wins from 4 fights during the grading to get your blue.

You need 2 wins from 4 fights during the grading to get your blue.

Thanks Doug. I knew about the procedure for the Blue and Brown Promotion but I wasn't sure if you needed tournament points as well. Though it doesn't hurt to start getting some tourney experience in anyway.

Well I was supposed to test for my blue a while ago, but got injured, and no one said anything about competition wins to me.

OK, my goals for the year:
    • Get my shoulder fixed.
    • Get a brown belt (assuming the shoulder goes OK)
    • Do a better job of running my club

Well I was supposed to test for my blue a while ago, but got injured, and no one said anything about competition wins to me.

OK, my goals for the year:
    • Get my shoulder fixed.
    • Get a brown belt (assuming the shoulder goes OK)
    • Do a better job of running my club

Thanks again Doug. Good Luck with your goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭dardis

*fix my shoulders
    *medal in an IBJJF tournament in the kimono
    *train at least 10 hours a week
    *fundamentals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Goals for 2012
    Short term:
    • · Get Blue belt in BJJ
    • · Get stronger
    • · Deadlift over 100 kg
    Medium Term:
    • · Compete internationally In BJJ
    • · Train in some good gyms internationally
    Long Term:
    • · Win 4 C Class MMA fights
    • · Get on the undercard of one of the big shows Cage Warriors/Contender
    All Term:
    • · Train like a beast
    • · Roll with as many different people as possible
    • · Continue to learn
    • · Help those that I train with in any way I can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

• Take up BJJ.
    • Earn myself a blue belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

• Drop another weight class
    • Compete in at least 1 C class MMA event before end of June
    • Finally get over my stupid groin injury!
    • Keep rolling and maybe get my blue belt
    • Compete in every Irish BJJ event
    • Harder, better, faster, stronger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I hope I can post here, hope its appropriate as I have some goals for 2012, not as impressive as many of the other posters here. Mine goes as follows:

1. Get back in Krav Maga, did it for 20weeks before breaking my leg. Would like to achieve something in it as I enjoyed it. Slowly made my way back to the gym the months before xmas doing light exercises.

2 Start doing Kickboxing, a mate of mine got me into this in 2011 and gave me some basic lessons before I broke my leg. His training was great and I want to get back into it ASAP. Hopefully if my interest persists try and pick up some reward at sometime in it.

3. Start gyming hard and give up drink.

• Advertisement

teednab-el wrote: »
    I hope I can post here, hope its appropriate as I have some goals for 2012, not as impressive as many of the other posters here.
    Of course you can post here, the thread is open to everyone.

teednab-el wrote: »
    I hope I can post here, hope its appropriate as I have some goals for 2012, not as impressive as many of the other posters here. Mine goes as follows:

1. Get back in Krav Maga, did it for 20weeks before breaking my leg. Would like to achieve something in it as I enjoyed it. Slowly made my way back to the gym the months before xmas doing light exercises.

2 Start doing Kickboxing, a mate of mine got me into this in 2011 and gave me some basic lessons before I broke my leg. His training was great and I want to get back into it ASAP. Hopefully if my interest persists try and pick up some reward at sometime in it.

3. Start gyming hard and give up drink.

Welcome. Don't worry about your goals compared to others. Usuallly the more modest goals are the ones that tend to be fulfilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

1 Lose the Christmas weight, I really over binged on the food and drink this christmas and put on abou 5KG so that has to go
    2 Pass my 1st and 2nd purple grading in Karate
    3 Really improve the quality of my kata
    4 Compete in Karate intervarsities and O'Connor cup meets and do decently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

1.) More training
    2.) More fights
    3.) Learn Klingon
    3.) Run a marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭antybots

Killme00 wrote: »
    What's up with so many peoples goal being to get a belt?

It pretty straightforward when you think about it. This is a martial arts forum, so peoples goals are martial arts related. Lots of martial arts have a belt system. Since many people set progression in their art as a goal, they want to achieve either the next belt or a certain colour belt as a symbol of that progression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Or post videos of new belt awardees, topless on all fours, being whipped by other muscled men all standing in a row :)

Ah traditions, gotta love em

Damn you Makikomi and your stealth edit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Compete in at least 4 or 5 bjj tournaments

Make my transitions and escapes smoother and more subconscious

Beat high level white belts

See my girlfriend get her KB black belt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Peetrik wrote: »
    Or post videos of new belt awardees, topless on all fours, being whipped by other muscled men all standing in a row :)

Ah traditions, gotta love em

Damn you Makikomi and your stealth edit :)

Sorry I just thought it wise not to stir the poo poo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

I am one of those who posted about a new belt (or stripes), and I feel that, as much a lot of people say they dont matter, they matter to me. I have always felt that I have the motivation to train hard and progress much quicker when I have a goal to reach, and a new belt is a huge goal for me to achieve. So to me belts do have an impact on my training as they make me strive to improve my game when it is outside tournament specific training. For example, a friend of mine named Adam Carroll had been training with me for a while, but after he got the notion that he wanted a blue belt (after I had gotten mine), he decided to train solely in the gi and made a huge improvement over the space of around 6-8 months, won the Irish Open at white belt and then got his blue shortly after, since then he has not had the same motivation (the Blue belt blues I have heard it being called) without the goals to achieve (he's still a beast though! ha).

I know a lot of people don't care about BJJ belts, and I understand why, I just think they do have an importance, especially for less-competitive minded practitioners. And the idea of a purple belt will give me great motivation to continue training very hard after the Europeans later this month.

Here is an article I read a while ago with a similar opinion:

http://www.richmondselfdefense.com/2011/uncategorized/a-less-common-perspective-on-bjj-belts/

• Advertisement

Killme00 wrote: »
    As expected, you completely missed the point.
    Oh, OK. My mistake so.

Seeing as this a thread about the new year, let's try and bring in the love, push out the jive and keep things positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Posts deleted. Good luck with all your respective goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

[*]To go to Lisbon for the Euros and do myself and my team proud, whether I lose, win one match or win a medal. I hope to have a great time and see the rake of medals that I feel SBG and Ireland will take in.
    [/LIST]

Quick bump to say that's one goal already failed! Couldn't do anyone proud as I got injured 10 seconds into my first match haha. Went to pull guard, he jumped guard as I was falling, landed on my ankle and I heard some snaps and the rest is a painful blur. Ah well brilliant experience anyway! Roll on Euros '13.

...And now to crack on with the other goals and complete all of the rest, see you all at the Irish BJJ Open in 3 weeks :D

Advertisement