Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the middle-class irish

Options
  • 04-12-2011 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭

Are the middle-class irish the worst snobs in the world?? stand offish, cliquey basically up their own a&ses?

The middle -class brits are much better at it? years of practice

but we've only had a substanial middle -class population since the celtic tiger years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Quiet, you cretin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭twinytwo

fryup wrote: »
    Are the middle-class irish the worst snobs in the world?? stand offish, cliquey basically up their own a&ses?

but we've only had a substanial middle -class population since the celtic tiger years

You mean the same middle class that is supporting the rest of the country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

They are just twats with new money. Now they money is gone, you're only left with the twat. The most enjoyable aspect of it all is that they don't realise yet that it's all over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

the working class is the new middle class.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

fryup wrote: »

We are the 1% and we agree with this statement, .. who do they think they're fooling... the unwashed plebs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

twinytwo wrote: »
    You mean the same middle class that is supporting the rest of the country...

Can someone define middle class with regard to the Irish social structure before continuing this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Define middle class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OP, you're referring to snobs with lots of money - bit unfair to use "middle-class" as another term for snobs seeing as there's a wee bit more diversity to the middle-class demographic.
    Plenty of middle-class people don't have lots of money, and plenty aren't snobs - obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

Op are you talking class in terms of money alone, or education, or where they live or what jobs they do or what cars they drive??

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

You need to distinguish between upper-middle class and the regular middle classes (like teachers and such).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

There's 3 classes in this country.

1 Upper. People who always had money & most likely, always will.

2 Underclass. Those that don't give a shoite.

3 Coping class. Those that support the above in the style they're accustomed to.

In short, there's no middle class here folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

There's 3 classes in this country.

1 Upper. People who always had money & most likely, always will.

2 Underclass. Those that don't give a shoite.

3 Coping class. Those that support the above in the style they're accustomed to.

In short, there's no middle class here folks.

If anything this post is a perfect example as to why not just peoples understanding, but the very concept of an economically based class structure is total bollix.

It's just a hangover from the old days that is best left to die i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

You need to distinguish between upper-middle class and the regular middle classes (like teachers and such).
    Thanks to the Croke Park agreement every public sector worker is now upper-middle class.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Define middle class.

Exactly. A state of mind for certain people.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm more Back of the Class than Middle Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

The worst in when people pretend they think class is to do with money when we all know it's to do with mannerisms, preferences, behaviour, appearance, culture, aspirations; higher incomes are just strongly correlated with higher social class.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

yuppies wrote: »
    The worst in when people pretend they think class is to do with money when we all know it's to do with mannerisms, preferences, behaviour, appearance, culture, aspirations; higher incomes are just strongly correlated with higher social class.

Exactly class =/= amount of money earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think the working and underclasses are the biggest snobs around and very judgemental.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,118 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm just class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

steddyeddy wrote: »

Sort of.

We don't really have much of a class system really.

More of a system of givers, takers & assorted chancers really.

• Advertisement

Wayne Rooney is hard to see as middle or upper-middle class, no matter how much he earns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

*pops monocle*

i'll see how much the rim gets me in cash4gold... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

True, "middle class" is such a nebulous concept. There are very wealthy people who were brought up in working class households and would still consider themselves working class despite their substantially increased income. Other people may not be particularly well off but would be "middle class" in their mannerisms, background and outlook on life. And there are people of every class who are snobs, like, for example, the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Thanks to the Croke Park agreement every public sector worker is now upper-middle class.:D

We are? Woo-hoo,I've arrived,proles!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

yuppies wrote: »

Much agreed, not that we have much of a class system in this country. I believe you are born into a certain class . Having said that I do think it probably sometimes shifts but only as one marries into different families, new generations and that.

Just because you own a tiddly diddly eye audi a4 or bmw on hire purchase, take three holidays every year to mediterranean resorts with credit union loans and live in a trophy home owned by Permanent TSB does not make you middle class or above, not that you would be if you bought them outright either.

If your a pimp or drug dealer driving a Mercedes S500 with heavily tinted windows and wear a Gucci suit you are still gutter scum in my opinion

Much agreed, not that we have much of a class system in this country. I believe you are born into a certain class . Having said that I do think it probably sometimes shifts but only as one marries into different families, new generations and that.

Just because you own a tiddly diddly eye audi a4 or bmw on hire purchase, take three holidays every year to mediterranean resorts with credit union loans and live in a trophy home owned by Permanent TSB does not make you middle class or above, not that you would be if you bought them outright either.

If your a pimp or drug dealer driving a Mercedes S500 with heavily tinted windows and wear a Gucci suit you are still gutter scum in my opinion

Agreed. I think there is some wiggle room for 'self-advancement' in the 'class-system', but mostly change occurs through marrying slightly above the social class you were born into and your children being born into a slightly higher social class. This is all a very crude description of how I imagine things to be so apologies to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Inferiority/superiority complexes are great and I take pity on lesser mortals who struggle with them because they think they are better than me. Bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Aurum wrote: »
    True, "middle class" is such a nebulous concept. There are very wealthy people who were brought up in working class households and would still consider themselves working class despite their substantially increased income. Other people may not be particularly well off but would be "middle class" in their mannerisms, background and outlook on life. And there are people of every class who are snobs, like, for example, the OP.

Agree with this :) except for the last line as I don't know op and prefer not to judge ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »

+1. Plus every retired public sector worker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Ive always found the working class to be lazy, ignorant and negative.:p:p

Op you are generalising and i bet you actually do fall under the category of middle class

Advertisement