Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

incognito

Options
  • 04-12-2011 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    I visted an orthodontist. He said i have an over bite of 4mm. He said I can have surgery, however, i dont want to go down this route. My other option is braces top and bottom. The orthodontist doesnt specialsie in incognito, however, I am wondering will this close my open bite. Whats yer views do u think braces will close the open bite for good. He mentioned that there is a chance my bite will return to the way it is again after braces. I really want to close it but am i daft if there is a chance of my teeth returning to their original position??

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Do you have an overbite of 4mm, or an open bite of 4mm? Or even an overjet of 4mm? Because they are all different things.
    The main/only advantage of Incognito lies in the fact that they are less noticable to the outside observer. If you are outside the pubertal growth spurt, no brace will influence your jaws, as they have stopped growing. Only your teeth can be moved.
    With most forms of orthodontic treatment, there is a risk of relapse (nature will out), hence the need for retainers. In the main, treatment of teeth, as opposed to jaws, tend to relapse. Surgical treatment tends to be fairly permanent ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 powerc

Dianthus wrote: »
    Do you have an overbite of 4mm, or an open bite of 4mm? Or even an overjet of 4mm? Because they are all different things.
    The main/only advantage of Incognito lies in the fact that they are less noticable to the outside observer. If you are outside the pubertal growth spurt, no brace will influence your jaws, as they have stopped growing. Only your teeth can be moved.
    With most forms of orthodontic treatment, there is a risk of relapse (nature will out), hence the need for retainers. In the main, treatment of teeth, as opposed to jaws, tend to relapse. Surgical treatment tends to be fairly permanent ;)

Hi Dianthus,
    I have an open bite of 4mm. I know surgical treatment is permanent but I really dont want to go down that route! Do u think there is any point in braces for correction. My teeth are almost straight just the bottom ones arent but its the bite I want to correct.Im just self conscious when I am eattting

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭kkth0360

If your problem is largely skeletal, ie related to the positions of the bones, then generally speaking surgery is the only way to predictably and stably correct your openbite. Closure of skeletal openbites with orthodontics alone is notoriously unstable, even with careful use of retainers. Recent advances in orthodontics (skeletal anchorage - miniscrews and miniplates) have made it possible to treat some types of openbites better without surgery, but only your orthodontist can tell you whether this would be an option for your case.
    Incognito works as well as conventional braces in most instances, but is not really suitable for surgical cases.
    If you are thinking of going the braces-only route, make sure that you are very clear on what your orthodontist feels will be achievable in terms of outcome without surgery - if you don't feel you will get what you want with braces only, then you should consider having the surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 powerc

kkth0360 wrote: »
    If your problem is largely skeletal, ie related to the positions of the bones, then generally speaking surgery is the only way to predictably and stably correct your openbite. Closure of skeletal openbites with orthodontics alone is notoriously unstable, even with careful use of retainers. Recent advances in orthodontics (skeletal anchorage - miniscrews and miniplates) have made it possible to treat some types of openbites better without surgery, but only your orthodontist can tell you whether this would be an option for your case.
    Incognito works as well as conventional braces in most instances, but is not really suitable for surgical cases.
    If you are thinking of going the braces-only route, make sure that you are very clear on what your orthodontist feels will be achievable in terms of outcome without surgery - if you don't feel you will get what you want with braces only, then you should consider having the surgery.

ok thanks for your reply,I was told it could be corrected but there is a chance it will relapse. I'll just have to think about it again I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bobby77

just a short point- it is possible to have lingual orthodontics in surgical cases.
    I work in an ortho practice where we have had these types of cases.
    There are always caveats but in most instances it makes no difference- apart from cost!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

bobby77 wrote: »
    just a short point- it is possible to have lingual orthodontics in surgical cases.
    I work in an ortho practice where we have had these types of cases.
    There are always caveats but in most instances it makes no difference- apart from cost!

Lingual ortho in surgical cases would be a nightmare for the surgeon and nearly impossible to manage imo.

Doing the surgery- the surgeon mobilises the jaws and then plates them in a better position... There are a few intermediate steps that usually involve placing a bite splint/wafer to position the jaws then wire the teeth together and then do the bony plating. It would be impossible to do this with the braces on the lingual side and not buccal.

Also, in the first 6 weeks after surgery, the patient may have the jaws wired or joing with elastics to realign the bite- again nearly impossible with lingual ortho.

os

@OS pm me if you want the name of the surgeon that we use.
    You might be interested in what he has to say from his own experience of these types of case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The fact that they can't be cleaned after the surgery when the jaws are wired would lead to some terrible dogs breath if not a bad infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

bobby77 wrote: »
    @OS pm me if you want the name of the surgeon that we use.
    You might be interested in what he has to say from his own experience of these types of case.

Fire away Bobby;)

The fact that they can't be cleaned after the surgery when the jaws are wired would lead to some terrible dogs breath if not a bad infection.

I actually spoke to a patient this morning about this- she did say that brushing was a real chore the first week while 'wired' but she had a mainly liquid diet that week. But she coped.

After the first week the wires were replaced with night time elastics which made brushing much easier.

No complaint of bad breath but I stayed up wind any way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

Never did an Incognito OGS case. When you think about it, not many have OGS and not many have lingual appliances so they would be rare.

It can be done though. On the Incognito certification course they advised using miniscrews for post surgery fixation for ease of access

Advertisement