Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board games

Options
  • 04-12-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

It's been a tradition the last few years that once the Christmas dinner has been polished off and the crackers pulled, we settle down for a few hours with a good board game. It has to appeal to the very young to the very old, it being Christmas and all. Last year, we had Game of Life, but could only maintain the interest of a few hardy souls, and the year before that, it was one of those TV games where you each get a controller - that worked best as teams of 1 adult/1 kid.

So we're varied in what works, but would need something fun for "all the family", as the marketing bumph goes. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be Christmas based, but no harm if it is, as it only comes out once a year, anyway.

(PS Not Monopoly, I love it and playing it with a finicky 6 year old who has just eaten his own weight in roast potatoes ruins the fun :D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Cranium!! It is the funnest game ever! We have played it the last few years, it's a board game and is team based, there are elements of charades, pictionary, articulate etc..

Playable by the young and old!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

tfak85 wrote: »
    Cranium!! It is the funnest game ever! We have played it the last few years, it's a board game and is team based, there are elements of charades, pictionary, articulate etc..

Playable by the young and old!

Ludo! Although you can only really have 4 players so it might no be suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Cluedo? Always went down well in my house, only 6 players though so you might have to do it in teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Cluedo? Always went down well in my house, only 6 players though so you might have to do it in teams.

Would Cluedo not be a bit above sub ten year olds though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Frustration-does exactly what it says on the tin! :D

But the noise from the popping centre piece will wreck your head after a while. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tks Cherry Cola. Looks cheap and fun alright. Will stick it on my list.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Is Twister a board game?

But Cranium, definitely, class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

corblimey wrote: »
    Would Cluedo not be a bit above sub ten year olds though?

Sorry, I wasn't sure how young the kids playing would be. My sister played with us when she was about 8/9 though and was grand, pretty good actually. But depends on the kids, might not be a goer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i have a couple of disney trivial pursuit games, good for all ages.

i get mega frustrated at this time of year, cos board games are a tradition in my house too - and always buy a new one each year. only problem is my house is a two person house, and more and more of the games coming out are for 3 or more players or teams.

i am a MAJOR trivial pursuit fanatic and have tons of them, and even the last couple of them that came out were more team orientated - one is even called TEAM!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

hdowney wrote: »
    i have a couple of disney trivial pursuit games, good for all ages.

i get mega frustrated at this time of year, cos board games are a tradition in my house too - and always buy a new one each year. only problem is my house is a two person house, and more and more of the games coming out are for 3 or more players or teams.

i am a MAJOR trivial pursuit fanatic and have tons of them, and even the last couple of them that came out were more team orientated - one is even called TEAM!!

Who are you tellin?!

One of the reasons we decided to have children that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Who are you tellin?!

One of the reasons we decided to have children that.

uuummm. no thanks!!!! :D

Advertisement