Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time off for New Arrival...

Options
  • 04-12-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

I really don't know what I'm entitled to on this, so I'm just posting here to see if what people think. My wife is being induced on Wednesday. I have 7 days left of annual leave which I would like to use. I work in the Print industry so this is a busy time, so when I asked for 7 days off I was told I could have 4 and for the other 3 days I would have to be available 'if' it was busy at work. I think this is unfair, as I most of that holiday time is actually Time in Lieu I have built up over the year. As I said, I'm just looking to see what others think. Maybe this is common practice, I just feel it's unfair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does your manager know why you want the time off?

Does your wife actually need you at that time? Quite often other relatives etc are very helpful in the days immediately after the birth, and it's more helpful if the father saves his leave for when they've gone home. But every family is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭CyberDave

It's my wife that has requested me to try and get as much time off as possible to help her out. I want to have the time off, and we would probably like to have some getting used of the child time before all the visitors.

Are men entitled to time off, or do they just have to use their annual leave like I'm doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

But most workplaces will give a few days off. You will find little sympathy from other workers as they view child rearing as a "normal" activity and not something to take long time off over. When I worked in a large multinational with a lot of women of child bearing age, maternity leave was a huge burden on the rest of the employees who had to take up the slack. We were limited in our holiday choices if people were off on maternity leave and told in no uncertain terms that holidays could not be taken until the maternity leave "problem" was "solved".

I now realise that this was atrociously bad management practice and the company should have made allowances in its budget for extra manpower and coverage without "blaming" government legislated leave for a "problem" that should not have existed in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

CyberDave wrote: »
    It's my wife that has requested me to try and get as much time off as possible to help her out. I want to have the time off, and we would probably like to have some getting used of the child time before all the visitors.

Are men entitled to time off, or do they just have to use their annual leave like I'm doing?
    In my old company men were given 1 day off; after that annual leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Unless the company choose to give some paternity leave, you must use your annual leave - and as you've found out, even that isn't guaranteed. I also think it's very unfair, but that's how it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

In Ireland there is no paternal leave. So unless work gives you a few days you use your Annual Leave.

You'll probably be more useful to her in a few weeks when the visitors stop and the baby stops sleeping as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

BostonB wrote: »
    In Ireland there is no paternal leave. So unless work gives you a few days you use your Annual Leave.

Not quite correct, if you read the citizens information link given earlier in the thread.

The is parental leave, but it is unpaid. And there are conditions around it, and the timing needs to be agreed in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Two different things, paternal (Paternity) and parental leave.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/paternity_leave.html

Parental isn't that useful as the employee can insist you take it in a block of either 14 weeks, or a min of 6 weeks. Few can take that much time off unpaid. Some places let you take a day or more a week, which is handy, but that's unusual.

But theres no paternal (Paternity) leave unless your contract includes it.

Advertisement