Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padi To Cft Crossover?

Options
  • 04-12-2011 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi All

Im thinking of joining a local club and have been told i can do a crossover to cft from padi. Now the prob is i have not got a straight answer on what that is made up of! do i start from scratch again?

I'm padi aow with nitrox and 100 dives! also will my nitrox ticket count?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

byebye wrote: »
    Hi All

Im thinking of joining a local club and have been told i can do a crossover to cft from padi. Now the prob is i have not got a straight answer on what that is made up of! do i start from scratch again?

I'm padi aow with nitrox and 100 dives! also will my nitrox ticket count?

Thanks in advance

It will depend on your level of qualification with PADI. You should really speak to the DO of the club or CFT head office (the DO should be well aware of procedures and there is an official CFT list).

Typically open waters and advanced divers will cross over as 1stars, Adv with rescue and divemaster - 2stars, Although I do know of DMs coming in as Leading divers after they've done the coxswain course and exam but they've been very very experienced.

I would imagine given your qualification you'll cross over as a 1 star but if your dives have been logged in Irish waters they should count immediately towards the 2star leaving you pretty much ready for the exam.

Before crossing over It might be suggested you start from scratch for the snorkel element of the CMAS training as PADI training put very little emphasis on this. After that an instructor will probably examine you on scuba gear (few basic exercises) and sign you off, then you'll be free to dive. You'll receive your crossover certs soon after that. Don't be put out by being asked to do basic exercises again in the pool, from their perspective they've no idea what level you're at.

As regards the Nitrox course i'm not certain, you may just have to sit thru' the course free of charge or perhaps just do the exam at the end. Again the DO of the club should be able to explain this to you.

best of luck.
    SD

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭byebye

Thanks for that!

Most of my dives have been in ireland so hopefuly will count to 2** smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I think the info you may need is here: http://www.cft.ie/equivalence.htm

But Yes, your local CFT club DO will be happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

The following is the relevant page from the CFT Equivalence Policy. It shows an AOW as coming across as a One-Star.
    You will probably have to attend eight lectures and do a check dive/familiarisation under the supervision of the club D.O. or his delegate.
    Your Nitrox Cert. will automatically get you the same Grade Equivalent in CFT

This table shows other federations’ grades and the equivalent operating level that is offered.
    5.1 British Sub Aqua Club – (BSAC)
    Federation Grade May operate at
    BSAC Advanced Diver Autonomous (Club) Diver
    Dive Leader Autonomous (Club) Diver
    First Class Diver Dive Leader (Leading Diver) 8
    Ocean Diver Supervised (Trainee) Diver
    Practical Rescue Management Autonomous (Club) Diver
    Sport Diver Autonomous (Club) Diver

5.2 National Association of Underwater Instructors (NAUI)
    NAUI Advanced Scuba Diver Autonomous (Club) Diver
    Dive Master Dive Leader (Leading Diver)
    Experienced Scuba Diver Supervised (Trainee) Diver
    Master Scuba Diver Autonomous (Club) Diver
    Scuba Diver Supervised (Trainee) Diver

5.3 Sub Aqua Association (SAA)
    SSA Club Diver Autonomous (Club) Diver
    Dive Leader Autonomous (Club) Diver
    Dive Master Dive Leader (Leading Diver) 8
    Dive Supervisor Dive Leader (Leading Diver) 8
    Elementary Diver Supervised (Trainee) Diver
    Elementary Diver Trainee Supervised (Trainee) Diver
    Open Water Diver Supervised (Trainee) Diver

5.4 Professional Association of Dive Instructors (PADI)

PADI Advanced Open Water Diver - Supervised (Trainee) Diver
    Dive Master Dive Leader (Leading Diver) 8
    Open Water Diver Supervised (Trainee) Diver

Remember, this policy has to be applied across the board at the MINIMUM level of any AOW coming across. It is NOT there to restrict other agencies' divers' attempts at Crossover.
    Your experience will most likely mean you will breeze through the Club Diver exam within three months of joining, whereas a newbie would take a whole season.

You will see the benefits accruing throughout the dive year and (with the D.O.'s permission) probably be okay to do the Rescue Diver next season as well thanks to your having 100 dives in home waters under your belt.

Then there'll be no stopping you!

So please allow me to be the first to say hello byebye :-)

Seadeuce

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭byebye

Thanks for the info lads! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

hi byebye ,

i run a cft club . the cross over from ADV open water still only gets you to 1 *

you need to have the rescue with the adv OW . but there is another way . you hav all the dive logged so all you would have to do is the lectures and learn the tables and you can do the test .

your nitrox qual does count :-)

if you want any futher info or help . contact me or drop down to the pool . we are based in guiness pool and train on a wed night at 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

your nitrox qual does count :-)

Question on this - if you have PADI Nitrox, do you need to cross this over to CFT and what's involved in doing that?

If you were to have an incident when diving nitrox and it's not a CFT cert I'm guessing the CFT insurance wont cover you...

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

@ Foto Joe
    any card/course that is certifed by another org. is covered once card and cert are sent to head office and copy put on file . as long as the diver dives within qualification , depth and in the case of nitrox to a max EAN40

for instance if you dive a Rebreather or in my case TDI Adv Tri MIx and recieved quals from another org once certs and cards are produced and on file you are covered to dive to what ever that card allows . In my Case 100m .

@Seaduce
    the cross over for a Dive master to leading diver also requires a cox'n Qual

@byebye
    if you want to chat let me know i am an instructor in CFT and know the ins and outs as our club regulary do crossovers . there are usually 2-3 rescue courses per region per year . and 2 tests per region per year . so you could do your Diver 2* test early in the season and your rescue in the 1 year . you do not have to be a diver 2* to sit the rescue course but do have to be to sit the exam . hope this helps

Advertisement