Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typical time for induction?

Options
  • 04-12-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi there, I am booked in for an induction next Weds at 5.45am...I was hoping to tell family a later time of maybe 2pm as otherwise I will have a crowd waiting outside the door, and just feel weed need a little space with baby for an hour or 2 when we finally get to meet her/him. Anyone know if inductions are scheduled for later in the day? also any experience of induction? I'm afraid it mightn't work and Ill have to have a section...and I have also heard its harder than natural birth? would love to hear other experiences..

thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭treascon

I was induced twice. Both commenced around 9.30/10am. 1st labour lasted 7hrs & 2nd 4.5hrs. I found both experiences fine. It stings a bit when the gel is applied but thats about it. It didn't kick off for me till they broke my waters. I know i was lucky with both my labours timewise & that it worked well for me. But you have to be positive that all will be well! In relation to telling your family a time i wouldn't. We rang immediate family when babs had been born & they came in that evening after we had a bit of time together as a family. The last thing i would want is a crowd of people waiting around outside. As for being harder i don't know about that. Aren't all labours hard?? Just stay focused & positive & you'll have your little bundle in your arms before you know & everything else is forgotten about! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

I was induced twice ... No. 1 took 23 hours, two rounds of gel followed by 12 hours on drip. No. 2 was faster only 20 hours ... Again gel followed by arm which speeded things up and then the drip ... Everyone is different. Good luck ... Hope the time flies for u!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Tell nobody to turn up at the hospital... there's just too much pressure on and hospital waiting rooms are already full with people who are actually attending the hospital... pretty rude of them really...

As for inductions, depends on the hospital... on my induction they told me to be there for 8am and they didn't break my waters until nearly 12pm... this was in the Rotunda...

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

Don't let anybody but your partner come with you - its not really necessary having people around making a fuss and possibly distracting from your job. I was induced at 10 am - make sure you've gone to the toilet just before because you've to let the gel work and should lie legs slightly elevated to make it work. I went to labour room at 2pm and daughter born at 11pm that night. I went home the next afternoon.

Sorry, forgot to mention, some hospitals have a policy of AML (Active Management of Labour) which basically means you dilate 1cm every 1 hour (so ten hours) or they start interferring, using oxytocin etc to help you along... my baby was in distress so I went 6 hours before they rushed me in for an emergency c section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If you are going to be induced you don't need a crowd around you. It could take some time.
    I would tell no one what time your going to be induced. I would tell your parents ect along with others you think will be there that this time is for you and the baby and your partner.
    Tell your parents you will ring them when the baby is born & you will text your friends.
    You will be tired when the baby is born.
    Tell them that once you have a nights rest they can come to the hospital during the visiting hours. You could be lucky that some hospitals only let the grandparents visit the maternity section.
    I would put my foot down on this. People should know this is an important time for you, the baby and your partner and you don't need rent a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

After my first baby was born, my uncle's wife turned up at the delivery room literally 2 hours after he was born, I was still on the table where I had given birth. At the time I didn't think too much of it but the more I thought of it afterwards the more it annoyed me... I just feel she had no right to turn up the way she did, and I wasn't even in a ward!! I wouldn't dream of doing that to someone who had just given birth. This time I plan on telling no one apart from direct family when the baby is born, until maybe the next day, I just want that time for ourselves this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

this is only my tuppence since ive still 17 weeks to go, but ive already informed family and friends that i want NO visitors till the following day except for my dad and his parents. and everyones happy enough that they have been told.

My friend had a baby 4 weeks ago, and like that, she had visitors within three hours. Whereas I waited till she was at home, and settled for a few days before going to see her, and she was so grateful, as we were able to just sit, chat, drink tea, and tend to baby as needed. Much more comfortable.

Each to their own, but i'd be might peed off if loads of my family or friends landed in the hos or were waiting in the waiting room for me to have the baby. IMO they have no right to be there until you and only you give them the ok. You need time to bond, shower, feed (you and baby) and just some tlc time with OH and baby

maybe im wrong. but thats just me..

As others have said - I strongly recommend you tell everyone to stay at home, have one person with you (partner or designated person) an when you feel ready - tell that person to get in touch with friends and family and stagger the visits.

You do not know how you are going to feel post birth, and allow yourself some time before people show up. Moreover, my son spent most of the first day of his life on his mom, we had visitors late the day after he was born, and even then - it was her sister and my parents and that was it until the next day.

As mentioned above, having crowds waiting downstairs doesn't help anyone else either.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

this is only my tuppence since ive still 17 weeks to go, but ive already informed family and friends that i want NO visitors till the following day except for my dad and his parents. and everyones happy enough that they have been told.

My friend had a baby 4 weeks ago, and like that, she had visitors within three hours. Whereas I waited till she was at home, and settled for a few days before going to see her, and she was so grateful, as we were able to just sit, chat, drink tea, and tend to baby as needed. Much more comfortable.

Each to their own, but i'd be might peed off if loads of my family or friends landed in the hos or were waiting in the waiting room for me to have the baby. IMO they have no right to be there until you and only you give them the ok. You need time to bond, shower, feed (you and baby) and just some tlc time with OH and baby

maybe im wrong. but thats just me..

No, you are absolutely right. My mam and dad were there as well but I didn't mind them as they are the grandparents and it was their first grandchild. The one benefit of the really bad winter in 2009/2010 was that it kept a lot of unwanted visitors away.. I had a few minor complications after the birth and my hormones were all over the place, if I had had lots of visitors I don't think I'd have been able to cope with them and they would have thought I was some sort of basketcase! My Mam and Dad and husband came in every day though which was lovely. Some other patients had whole hoards of people around them - I'm surprised it was allowed by the hospital to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭curlybob

Thanks for all the advice guys...thats exactly how we feel, we have had a tough 9 months and just want the first few hours with our little one alone. I even told both familes I was due a week later to try and keep the pressure off..but this is the first grandchild/niece/nephew in the family and they are all very excited at most my own mother! she would never forgive me if I didnt tell her I was being induced so I have decided to tell them all that Im being brought in at 10am on weds and have been told it could take up to 24 hours that they can expect to meet baby Thurs. I don't know if they will swallow that and I have visions of my mum ringing and texting every 5 mins but that's the best i can do I guess.. the other problem is a relation of my husbands is in the same hospital so I know that will be an excuse..."oh we just in visiting xxxx and said we wud pop up to see how ye r getting on" Please god I will go myself tonight and be able to ring everyone in the morning and say...Baby has arrived!! I guess I should have more on my mind than keeping baby to ourselves for the first few hours...

The hospital won't allow anyone onto the labour ward without their visitors card so don't be worried about that. Turn your phone off! It will be expected anyway because the phones can interfere with the equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

curlybob wrote: »
    I have visions of my mum ringing and texting every 5 mins but that's the best i can do I guess.. the other problem is a relation of my husbands is in the same hospital so I know that will be an excuse..."oh we just in visiting xxxx and said we wud pop up to see how ye r getting on" Please god I will go myself tonight and be able to ring everyone in the morning and say...Baby has arrived!! I guess I should have more on my mind than keeping baby to ourselves for the first few hours...

You need to be more firm and tell them all you only want to see them when the time is right.... Its so rude for people to land in so quickly uninvited... can you tell the nursing staff that you only want certain visitors to get in to see you....

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I was induced on my first and didn't tell family. For me I got the gel on the Monday night for the first time and did not have my son until 8.30 on the Wednesday night. He was stubborn and was happy where he was, I had the gel on the Monday night and Tuesday, my waters were broken on the Wednesday morning and then I was was put on the drip. He eventually arrived via emergency section that night.

I was so happy that we didn't tell anyone that I was being induced, I would have been shattered from dealing with family ringing and texting. You have enough pressure without that. Mine was the first grandchild on both sides so I understand the excitement that the family were going through.

On my second I had an elective section and just the family that I had a clinic appointment that morning. We rang when he was born and I was settled back in my room. They came to visit that night so I had a good few hours to ourselves to recover.

I'm now on my third and not sure what excuse I'll use this time, as far as I'm concerned I have to worry about me and my baby and not keeping family reassured that all is ok and every little detail.

Enjoy the first few hours with your baby and partner, family will be there soon enough. Best of luck
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

she would never forgive me if I didnt tell her I was being induced so I have decided to tell them all that Im being brought in at 10am on weds and have been told it could take up to 24 hours that they can expect to meet baby Thurs. I don't know if they will swallow that and I have visions of my mum ringing and texting every 5 mins but that's the best i can do I guess.. ..

It's possible that it could take 24 hours.
    January wrote: »
    The hospital won't allow anyone onto the labour ward without their visitors card so don't be worried about that. Turn your phone off! It will be expected anyway because the phones can interfere with the equipment.

+1 on this. If you're induced you're more likely to be monitored, when you're being monitored you might be asked to turn your phone off.

I was induced in Holles St. had to have our phones off on the wards at all times because I was on a fetal trace most of the time.
    I was given the gel at 8am, had my waters broken at I think 4pm, oxy drip at around 8pm, and ended up having an emergency section and had my baby at 5:37am, so not far off 24 hours.
    I was once of the ones with a bad experience though. So go into it with an open mind, and relaxed as possible! Good luck and the best thing is you know you'll meet your baby by next thursday at the latest!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭curlybob

Just an update on our Outcome ;) Babay Evie wasnt born till 12.23am that night so there was plenty of time for our bonding and no bad family interference. Regarding the induction it didnt work till the 2nd dose...Baby Evie was OP so the majority of the pain was in my back...it was a tough labor, 2 epidural's didnt work and unfortunately had to have a vaccum delivery in the end which resulted in a 3rd degree tear...however it was worth every ting to have our little daughter here and she is a beauty ;) On the plus side with the epidural not working I could stand and walk through contractions.

thanks again for all the insights and advice last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Just an update on our Outcome ;) Babay Evie wasnt born till 12.23am that night so there was plenty of time for our bonding and no bad family interference. Regarding the induction it didnt work till the 2nd dose...Baby Evie was OP so the majority of the pain was in my back...it was a tough labor, 2 epidural's didnt work and unfortunately had to have a vaccum delivery in the end which resulted in a 3rd degree tear...however it was worth every ting to have our little daughter here and she is a beauty ;) On the plus side with the epidural not working I could stand and walk through contractions.

thanks again for all the insights and advice last week!

Huge congrats!
    Sounds like you had a very tough time of it but glad to hear you feeling better now!
    Gorgeous name!! :)

Advertisement