Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever NOT been invited to a Work Christmas party?

Options
  • 04-12-2011 4:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Was reading the "Bank having their xmas party tonight" thread and reminded me of what a few people I know have said over the years ... and that's working in a job and not being asked to go to the Christmas party. Which is just down right bad IMO. Its the gesture after all.

Actually, my bro mentioned he was in Burger King during the week and couldn't help but over hear two girls at the next table. They were on their break and wearing some retail shirts. But they were talking about how the Christmas party was days before and neither were asked. In fact, neither knew about it. Going on to say how it was bad no one even texted or called either on the night.... bad imo.

So After Hours. Have you ever NOT been invited?
    (oh and for the record this is about the gesture of being asked. And not weather you hate christmas parties or not :pac: )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Oh, I knew there were Xmas parties on but I rarely attended because the organiser(s) was usually a dipsh1t who treated people like dirt. Why attend a party outside work when the same people treated you awful in work?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭hoorsmelt

Once, but that was because I was fired the week of the party :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hmmm. I worked for Intel years back; Christmastime was a big downer there. The place is huge and one week many on my floor ( lots of rabbit warrens of navy blue boxes)were talking of the Christmas party. Chaos ensued. Some had invites, some didn't, some knew about a different " 2 drinks" event.... It was handled very badly . After about two weeks of whispers and bitterness , it transpired that some wereinvited based on their lengthof service & contract status.... Left a really bad taste, particularly as they made itcompulsorary for some teams towork Christmas Day... But they wernt necessarily invited either.
    Poor show for an international giant.

Interestingly, intel Ireland is now rhe only FAB worldwide that (used) nit have compulsorary working on Christmas Day since the strike over Christmas .
    Some things are just too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I suppose its easier in larger companies for this kind of exclusion, but I would find it ery strange for a Christmas party not to have a blanket invite.
    Usually our head office has a 'wine and mince pies' evening that everyones invited to but only managers etc actually show up to, then each department organises their own. Ive never been lucky enough to work for somewhere that has a full on xmas party at the expense of a compainy or anything so its probably different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Interestingly, intel Ireland is now rhe only FAB worldwide that (used) nit have compulsorary working on Christmas Day since the strike over Christmas .
    Some things are just too much.

That bit makes no sense :confused:
    I worked at Intel for 13 years, never heard of a 2 drinks event.
    Christmas parties were always a blanket invite, even for contractors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

Yes, after I pissed in the punch the previous year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Always invited, rarely attend. Organised jollity does nothing for me, I prefer a spontaneous pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Working as a Xmas temp and wasn't invited to the party,we have started three weeks now n will be bursting our asses working like everyone else ,
    Wouldn't mind but they were paying for it themselves too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

If you work with nice people, Christmas parties can be fun! Especially as the manager we used to have would very tactfully (not usually his strong point) feck off home after the meal.

Working in a different job, I was still invited to the part this Christmas even though I'd handed in my notice. I'll still go (although we're all paying for the drinks ourselves this year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

LighterGuy wrote: »
    So After Hours. Have you ever NOT been invited?
    This morning only gods know how much I would prefer NOT to be invited to the last night's Christmas Party...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Been invited this year, don't think I'm gonna go. Don't fancy it really, not drinking really puts a downer on your social activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

went one year and never again. everyone was blotto before they left their hotel room. I was driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

In my first job when I was 16 none of us part timers were asked. All of the full timers were organising it and going on about how much of a laugh it was going to be etc. We were fairly pissed off tbh. The manager wasn't asked either. Strange people I worked with!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Blotto?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Where were ya ' all last night ? not invited to the AH christmas party ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭IdidIt

Renn wrote: »
    Blotto?
    My name is Otto and I love to get blotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Would they not just have a notice up or something rather than giving out invites?

I always go if they promise a free bar. Which they did last year. Yay. Drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

That's pretty bad form only selecting a few to go to a Christmas party.

I'm doing an internship at the moment and was invited - no, told :D - I was going to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭UnawareCaesar

First job had it after the Christmas, none of the the Christmas staff were invited even though we contributed through a mystery shopper scheme to extra funding, thought it was a bit bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I usually go to work christmas parties but this year it is unlikely.

It is being held 3 hours drive away from where work is.
    Its in a very fancy golf club where the heads of the company all like playing golf. I wonder whos idea it was to have it so far away!!!

Work are not paying for transport or accommodation.

I guarantee it was done on purpose so less people would go and they would not have to pay as much money for the party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Its in a very fancy golf club where the heads of the company all like playing golf. I wonder whos idea it was to have it so far away!!!

I guarantee it was done on purpose so less people would go and they would not have to pay as much money for the party.

Where is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Not being invited to the xmas party would tell you a lot about haow mean the company are that you work for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Say you're going anyway, and then don't go, make the cnuts pay for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

are these formal or informal xmas parties that people are talking about?? It would be shocking if some staff were being left out of a formal xmas party that the company itself was organising. On the other hand, informal xmas parties organised by the staff themselves are notoriously bitchy in their organisation.

Advertisement