Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zombie Speed

Options
  • 03-12-2011 7:39pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Doing a reread of The Zombie survival guide at the moment.

According the ZSG a zombie travels at 1.5 strides a second. Thats 5,400 strides an hour.

According to thewalkingsite.com the average stride length is 2.5 feet which is 0.762 meters.

According to this the average zombie speed is around 4.1 kilometers an hour. Given that Zombies don't need rest that means they can manage 98.75 kilometers a day.

Just an interesting point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Nothing a hefty blow to the head won't solve

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Every day I'm shuffalin'...

Add to that the sheer volume of zombies nowhere is safe from the meandering hoards.

Irelands current population according to 2011 CSO is Population 4.58milliion.

So if only one quarter of the population is turned you have over a million zombies who can each roam 99 odd KM's a day on an island only 486.53 by 275.53 km's wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Possibly, but 80% of that walking could be going around in circles or walking into the same pole over and over again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Trick them onto a treadmill rigged to power a generator. Free electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Don't forget that the human stride is coordinated by the brain while a zombies shuffle will no doubt be a lot shorter, you try dragging your foot around for the day and see how much slower you are, or a broken knee or any other damaged sort of limb. now do it drunk. and starve your body of nutrients for a couple of days :P

the virus itself is the only thing driving the Z's body I'm guessing that's gonna limit the speed quite a lot :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

We just need to hope they don't figure out how to get upgrades!

you-forgot-zombies-on-a-segway-21771-1285621316-38.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    Don't forget that the human stride is coordinated by the brain while a zombies shuffle will no doubt be a lot shorter, you try dragging your foot around for the day and see how much slower you are, or a broken knee or any other damaged sort of limb. now do it drunk. and starve your body of nutrients for a couple of days :P

the virus itself is the only thing driving the Z's body I'm guessing that's gonna limit the speed quite a lot :)

depends on which virus they have. The traditional(Romero) slow walker or the rabid rage zombie ala 28 days later. Far as i know they've both got the same end result, but they are entirely different afflictions.

depends on which virus they have. The traditional(Romero) slow walker or the rabid rage zombie ala 28 days later. Far as i know they've both got the same end result, but they are entirely different afflictions.
    They're not the same thing at all. The 28 days later guys are infected humans, they can die in traditional methods, zombies are dead.

I'm of the opinion the running infected are a step to far into the realms of improbability, it's physically impossible for them to exist, the human body can't do the things they do.

The newer zombies do take this into account with them starting out manic and quickly moving to scramblers as the brain dies and they rip their muscles to pieces. Death valley has the most well rounded zombies I've seen so far even though it's comedy.

Not so sure tbh.
    Their former selves are dead, sure. But there are signs of life there.

Movement - check.
    Respiration - check.
    Sensitivity - debatable.
    Growth - maybe not.
    Reproduction - transmission through bites/blood.
    Excretion - what goes in must come out, do zombies poo?
    Nutrition - brains!

even though higher brain functions are irretriveable at a later point of infection, the body still acts mechaniclly as if it were alive.

Not so sure tbh.
    Their former selves are dead, sure. But there are signs of life there.

Movement - check.
    Respiration - check.
    Sensitivity - debatable.
    Growth - maybe not.
    Reproduction - transmission through bites/blood.
    Excretion - what goes in must come out, do zombies poo?
    Nutrition - brains!

even though higher brain functions are irretriveable at a later point of infection, the body still acts mechaniclly as if it were alive.
    A dead zombie can't act like it was alive. If it's heart has stopped so has it's digestion so no they don't poop, most likely they'll fill their belly until it bursts and then anything that goes in their mouth will just be pushed out their belly hole, not that it matters as they can't get that food from their bellies to their muscles. If they can't take in calories they can't move fast and will have to consume their own tissues at a cellular level for energy.

• Advertisement

wouldnt that still count as excretion?

wouldnt that still count as excretion?
    They won't have any method of proper excretion as a living person would like through our skin pores. They may have build ups of waste between muscles and skin which could burst or ooze though the skin.

can ye imagine the whiff of that? hahaha :D

I actually wonder what a zombie would smell like. The bad smell off a rotting corpse is from the bacteria that's naturally in your stomach your whole life to help you digest food, it runs rampant after death and starts eating into the body.

This process wouldn't be happening in a zombie body so that may mean they wouldn't smell as bad as a normal corpse, I'm sure they would smell bad I just wonder how bad it would actually be compared to a standard corpse.

It may be something like an infection smell which doesn't carry as much as a putrid rotting smell. This could be in the zombies advantage as you could smell a rotting corpse from yards away which would mean it would be very hard for zombies to do a sneak attack. If they don't smell that bad they could be much better at ambushing the living.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Pretty sure a zombies eyes would become fuucked after a few days. So they should be walking into everything.

Advertisement