Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie upload on Dreamweaver CS3 question

Options
  • 03-12-2011 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

:(

Hi all,

A real rookie question. I created a page on DW CS3 and seem to have trouble uploading it.

I copied an existing page, did a "save as..." and saved it as a different file to my desktop. I made the changes, and uploaded it.

In DW, I can see it in remote view and local view. I did a "put" on the file in both views to be on the safe side.

To make sure, I also logged in on Filezilla, and it seems to be on the remote server.

My problem arose, when I updated the sitemap, included the new page on it, uploaded the sitemap and did the same thing as before, so I can see it on local view, and remote view.

However, when I visit the site, I can't see the updated link in the sitemap, so it doesn't seem to be "live" even though it seems to be on the remote server? It's doing my head in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Working off the assumptions that you have validated your document and uploaded it correctly then there isn't any reason, at least to my mind, why you can't see the changes.

Validate your file, make sure you are uploading to the server correctly and clear the cache on your browser. I'd also suggest never using the FTP in DW (this may well be your problem) and that you consider using notepad++ and firebug instead of DW. One other thing - you can look at the source code of the page (usually ctrl U on browsers) to see what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

+1 to what FC says. DW is a great production tool but should not be used for design or ftp. Design View (local and remote) has unreliable rendering and ftp has always been dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hi guys,

Thanks for that. I should have added I am using a PowerPC Mac. I wouldn't be making any design changes. I am simply copying existing pages, and changing the content and tags, and adding the link to the site map.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

All easily done in Notepad++ (Textwrangler and Coda are supposedly good Mac alternatives. I wouldn't know anything about that end though).

At this stage, and this is coming from a point of exclusively using DW, I would now only use DW if I am doing table based development (i.e. newsletters) and even then it's only if I'm really stuck.

For what you are doing DW is overkill, and, speaking frankly, it makes coding much more difficult because it doesn't do enough to visually differentiate sections of code. Something like NP++ (and I'm guessing the Mac equivalents) are easily customisable so you can assign different colours to the background, tags, errors etc.

Any luck in sorting out your issue? Did you try my suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hi all,

I downloaded Coda, and it seems very neat and tidy for making text changes, which is the most of what I'll be doing for now....

I will see what notepad++ is like.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 allaboutclicks

If the issue is that you uploaded a file and the link on it didn't seem to be updated although everything looked fine with the file on the server might you just need to clear your browser cache?

I know this is probably the first thing you did just had to ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

If it's showing in the remote site on DW and Filezilla, it's there on the remote site, and it's not an FTP issue.

It sounds to me like you uploaded it to the wrong directory.

Advertisement