Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first site -magazine style

Options
  • 03-12-2011 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

The site makes no money , is it wrong to completely rob another design? It took me forever to put back in all the code, I may as well have done my own. im seriously considering changing it for originality, I just like the layout, any feedback welcome....

http://basiscrunch.com/

layout I copied...
    http://demo.wpzoom.com/?theme=zenko

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

I havn't looked at the code but I do see the similarity. It would be risky taking a design like that. Not to mind bad taste.

Personally I don't like the original design. I think its too cluttered and busy.

Don't you think you would learn a bit more from doing it yourself?

Where do all the articles come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

Cheers for the advice, yea you're probably right, now dont get me wrong, I was learning with just a bare knowledge of css so I got a bit of shock when I realized I would have to integrate all the code back in with wordpress.

I think due to that I learned quite alot, sort of thrown in the deep end, because if i did my own it would possibly have looked alot more boring and I would probably have avoided having to learn certain things because Id have been unaware of them.

But yea I guess your right, you can't just go copying other sites. (I sort of excused myself because the site helps people for free , and the site I ripped off was a demo site for a theme), but I want to learn php and this really aint the way to do it.

Articles are either by me, or people I know online who write blogs who are happy to contribute, admittedly there is one or two which I took from elsewhere, mainly in the science section, but I made sure to start off with a direct link to the original, and give full credit etc. I need to sort that out though.
    JUST in case the site gets popular :D
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

No problem zig.
    I started learning php about a year ago on my own site and I found the best way to get good practice is to go for the simplest html and css possible then get the php to do a single task (maybe composed of other tasks) for example my one (overabuse.com) was a comic viewer that grabbed popular comics from other sites (with credit of course) so I think our ideas were similar.

Keep at it!
    [wouldn't mind feed back on my thread though...:)]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

thanks for the tips man ,
    (gonna get on your site now and have a proper look)

Advertisement