Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My quitlog...hopefully

Options
  • 03-12-2011 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi
    Trying to use this thread as a motivator to quit smoking. Have tried to quit about once a week for the last 10 years or so. Generally it only lasts a couple of hours. A handful of times I've managed to stop for 3 weeks, 5 days, 2 weeks etc. Mostly I'm just going around in circles though.
    So I'm really hopeful this time, and also quite fearful that I won't quit. My motivation this time is that it's quite imperative for my health that I do stay off them. It's only been an hour and I've got cravings already!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Well done for trying. I quit nearly three years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.

I now feel like I never smoked and the thoughts of a cigarette turns my stomach. I feel better, smell better and have noticeably more money in my pocket.

Keep at it and remember it only takes one drag of one cigarette and you'll be back on them. Best of luck and keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 shauneym

Hi, and I am in the same position having tried soooooo many times , but I think no hope that I am now in the right frame of mind.
    I have set Midnight tonight as my 'QUIT' and can only hope that you too can finally get away from this addiction.
    PM me if you need any support and I will do my best to help you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Well, I'm on Day 4, and I'm going to go ahead and keep posting day-to-day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Im on Day 8.

A brief overview of my journey:
    Day 1 - not too bad, mostly relieved that the day of giving up was finally here (had never tried before), plus a bit hungover from New Years. Ate a lot during the day, upset stomach that night.
    Day 2 - again, not too bad, felt a wee bit dizzy and never thought of anything else but cigarettes for the whole day but no pain - just mental battle. Ate a lot again, stomach not 100% but alright that night.
    Day 3 - worst day. Actually felt dizzy and ill during the day. A few times I thought Id need to see a doc if it continued. Was dreading Day 4 because was convinced it was just going to keep getting worse.
    Day 4 - grand!! Lot less cravings, mind wasnt just stuttering 'smoke, smoke, smoke' all day, didnt eat as much, exercised, felt good.
    Day 5 - number of times that mind thinks of smoking much decreased, good day.
    Day 6 - same as 5, getting easier.
    Day 7 - same as 6, getting easier again.
    Day 8 - today - grand so far.

As you can see from above, for me anyway, once I got past day 3 it was all a lot better. So stay strong for a short few days and life gets a lot easier!!
    Ive had some mild dizziness over the 8 days (never as bad as Day 3), and also some trouble sleeping - nothing Im too concerned about. Ive also felt so good that Ive managed to stay off them. I really dont want to go back.

I was smoking 20 years or so, never above 16/17 a day, but past few years on 10/12 a day, and past few months on 7/8 a day.

I think you need to be in the right head space for quitting. I had thought about it for years, but had never attempted it.

For the person who said they fail after a couple of hours, I wouldnt even consider that a quit attempt, thats more thinking its a nice idea - but not actually making a serious attempt at a stop (I dont mean that in a bad way at all btw - but you sleep all night and dont smoke, so 2 hours without one is something that happens every night anyway!).

I read the Allen Carr book on Days 1 and 2 - tbh Im not sure if it helped, except to make me think of smoking, I should have read it beforehand!!

Anyway - stay strong, good to see a quitlog going! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭awman

hello everyone!

hope ye're all still managing to stay off the cigs!
    I smoked my last cig on Sunday the 8th of Jan.... so i'm off them 9 days today.... round of applause please!!!! :) but.... i'm not going cold turkey, i'm on the patches, the 25mg ones)
    I was smoking roughly 25 a day, b&h.... and i bloodly miss em but i'm determined to stay off them. My hubbie is off them too so at least we're both cranky and peed off!! :D fingers crossed we can keep it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭jem

awman wrote: »
    hello everyone!

hope ye're all still managing to stay off the cigs!
    I smoked my last cig on Sunday the 8th of Jan.... so i'm off them 9 days today.... round of applause please!!!! :) but.... i'm not going cold turkey, i'm on the patches, the 25mg ones)
    I was smoking roughly 25 a day, b&h.... and i bloodly miss em but i'm determined to stay off them. My hubbie is off them too so at least we're both cranky and peed off!! :D fingers crossed we can keep it up!
    Hi we smoked our last cigs the same day so snap,
    i am using the nicoret plastic cig 1 refil per day, have smoked 40 b&h per day for soooooooo many years.
    And guess what she who must be obayed also off them same day.
    Def easier for both to try together , think it would be impossible to be off them and herself smoking or visa versa.
    keep going
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭sporina

oh best of luck to all of you.

Advertisement