Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waking the Dead

Options
  • 02-12-2011 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭

The NY Times just published a fascinating (but too long to post) article on the effect that Ambien, a sleep aid drug, has had on people who aren't completely brain-dead, but have 'minimal consciousness'. Apparently in some people with severe brain injuries, Ambien triggers a response which causes them to regain some consciousness and even limited mobility.

This finding has re-opened the debate on 'Do Not Resuscitate' orders and pulling family members off of life support. However, it is not clear that the 'Ambien effect' is either widespread or long-lasting. It does suggest, however, that there is a big area of unexplored research that could perhaps help doctors restore some brain function after traumatic injury.

If you had a severe brain injury, would you want to be resuscitated? Is there a point where you would want loved ones to withhold medical treatment? Or, given medical advances, would you want them to keep you alive in the hopes that you would at least have some partially restored brain function in the future? Why?

Personally, I have made it clear to my family that I do not want to be resuscitated in the case of traumatic brain injury. I don't want to be a burden on them, and I find the idea of living in a state of semi-consciousness for decades to be terrifying. But what do others think?

If you had a severe brain injury, would you want to be resuscitated? 37 votes

No - don't resuscitate me.
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, but pull the plug if I don't show improvement after a few weeks
    54% 20 votes
    Yes, keep me on life support indefinitely - you never know
    45% 17 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If the brain damage was unrepairable and I would be then on a burden, not an advantage to my family, I would still say "Do Not Resuscitate"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

To close to walking dead.. I'm gonna cry again :C

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

This is how a zombie apocalypse starts.

Pull the plug on me thanks, or a belt of a shovel or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

This is why science is evil. Next Halloween is going to be interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Bullet behind the ears please. Even if I'm still conscious but cant move, actually especially if I'm conscious but not able to move. My idea of hell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Silverfish wrote: »
    This is how a zombie apocalypse starts.

Pull the plug on me thanks, or a belt of a shovel or whatever.
    *notes down for future reference and legal requirements...*:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

some conciousness......hmmm no thanks.

I could handle the limited mobility I think, but if I didn't have my wits about me then forget it. Trouble with brain injuries is even if someone can still walk around and do stuff for themselves afterwards there's no garauntee they'll be the same person the were before the op/trauma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

This is why science is evil. Next Halloween is going to be interesting.

Yes, evil crrrrazy science, with their polio vaccines, and their life-saving cancer drugs, and...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Gimme that drug or similar treatments asap after the trauma. If they don't work and I'm not back on my feet in 6 weeks, pull the plug and I'll try to report back on what happens next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

Mickeroo wrote: »
    some conciousness......hmmm no thanks.

I could handle the limited mobility I think, but if I didn't have my wits about me then forget it. Trouble with brain injuries is even if someone can still walk around and do stuff for themselves afterwards there's no garauntee they'll be the same person the were before the op/trauma.

Even if they're not the same person, they're still a person. It might be heart-breaking for their family, but if the person is able to be happy, then the family learns to live with it.

I speak from experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Awfully morbid for a friday night isn't this what we disscuss on sunday at about 11 at night on cold winters day after being on a massive session the night before only to realize you've got work and wasted a day doing nothing but feeling sorry for your self ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

I expected this thread to be about impotence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I expected this thread to be about impotence

i think that could be one for sex and sexuality :)

Gigidy

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Even if they're not the same person, they're still a person. It might be heart-breaking for their family, but if the person is able to be happy, then the family learns to live with it.

I speak from experience.

Oh of course, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. It happened to someone in my family too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I thought thread title said '**** the dead'.

What a let down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Gimme that drug or similar treatments asap after the trauma. If they don't work and I'm not back on my feet in 6 weeks, pull the plug and I'll try to report back on what happens next.

I think part of the problem with that is after six weeks, people can often breathe on their own, but are in a vegetative state and are being kept alive by a feeding tube. So for your family to 'pull the plug' they'd have to withdraw food and water (like the Terry Schiavo case in the U.S.). That may be a much harder call for families to make than taking someone off of a ventilator or issuing a DNR order.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Yes, evil crrrrazy science, with their polio vaccines, and their life-saving cancer drugs, and...
    :D
    It just occurred to me, I hope people realise I'm joking when I say stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Never let me die. Nobody knows what technology will be around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I think part of the problem with that is after six weeks, people can often breathe on their own, but are in a vegetative state and are being kept alive by a feeding tube. So for your family to 'pull the plug' they'd have to withdraw food and water (like the Terry Schiavo case in the U.S.). That may be a much harder call for families to make than taking someone off of a ventilator or issuing a DNR order.

Indeed and I have no argument with your medical or ethical assesment of the possibilities, but I was paraphrasing really. I want some effort made to save me and return me to a minimum standard of physical ability, but with a limit, beyond which I want to be eased out and not become a burden on medicine or my family.

• Advertisement
Advertisement