Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Euro A/c in Non Euro Ireland?

Options
  • 02-12-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Well, if Ireland left the Euro, what would happen to Non Euro Accounts in Irish Banks? Euro accounts would probably be converted to punts at a not so favorable rate? Would the Non Euro accounts be interferred with? Of Course this depends on whether the Bank remains solvent or that the Irish government would backup such accounts in such a scenario?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I don't see why they would be, it would defeat the purpose of the account. It would have to say on the terms and conditions if they were allowed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

The only question I have is how many of these silly hypothetical threads will we see before the new year?

the answer to everyone of these is that no one knows nor can tell you what will happen should the euro break up, it would be a unprecedented situation so there is little point pandering to evey scaremongering economist who wants to get their mug in front of a camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭PureClaas

Agree with Pablo here.

There is even the fear that IF i mean if the Euro was ever to collapse it would surely also have a big affect on other world currency cause im sure other nations have heavily invested in the Euro so a collapse there may have a knock on affect.

But for me i think sterling is a safe enough bet cause it will have an affect on the punt if it ever came back.

But honestly i really cant see the Euro going. All that can be done will be done to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I think any new currency would be converted from Euros at a 1-1 rate (they could choose anything, but 1-1 would make things easier). They wouldn't, for example use the £0.787564 = €1 used before.

There would probably be a completely new name, maybe something drawn from the mists of Irish history.

But, to be honest, I can't see Ireland leaving the Euro.

Advertisement