Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Difference between Bridgestone and Firestone Tyres?

Options
  • 02-12-2011 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

i need to get new tyres for my car, so rang around a few places in my area (Dundrum/Sandyford).

I got a quote for 4 Firestone tyres for 310 euro from one place, and another place quoted 4 Bridgestone for 400.

From what I read Bridgestone own Firestone, so does anyone have any thoughts on if Bridgestone are worth 90 euro more than Firestone?

Also if anyone has any suggestions for Tyre fitters in South Co. Dublin let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

www.tyrereviews.com will give you an idea of differences of different brands and models.

Figure out exact models of tyres you have been quoted and check reviews. Entry level bridgestone model may perform worse then Firestone's mid-level model

IF you have are comparing same level of models, Firestone is a good mid-level(not budget) brand but Bridgestone is a premium brand. Difference between them may not be visible if you don't push your car a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

Rang back and got the model numbers. So both very similar according to www.tyrereviews.com

Think I'll save the 90 and go with the Firestone,

The 2 models were:
    Bridgestone ER300
    Firestone TZ300

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

I've no experience with those particular Firestones.

The ER300 "Turanzas" come as standard on a lot of Volkwagens (including Mrs WestWings) and they are a good tyre. After 18,000 miles of semi-enthusiastic driving they still have 5-6mm tread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The Bridgestone ER300 is the better tyre. What is the size?

The Bridgestone ER300 is the better tyre. What is the size?
    Size is 205/60 r15 which a few people have said is not particularly common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Yes they aren't common at all. What car is it? Octavia?

Its an 03 Passat. Had assumed that it would have been standard enough tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

fergusb wrote: »
    Its an 03 Passat. Had assumed that it would have been standard enough tyres.

No that size was only used on B5/5.5 Passats with certain alloys and off hand I can't think of another modern car that uses them.

I've always been partial to Bridgestone but I put a set of the Firestone TZ300's on my current motor to match a pair of decent Firestones that were on it already and find them very good. Solid road holding on a motorway full of standing water at 120kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

No that size was only used on B5/5.5 Passats with certain alloys and off hand I can't think of another modern car that uses them.

I've always been partial to Bridgestone but I put a set of the Firestone TZ300's on my current motor to match a pair of decent Firestones that were on it already and find them very good. Solid road holding on a motorway full of standing water at 120kmh.

I never knew firestone were made by Bridgestone. I had firestone tyres on my old A6 and found them slippy and slidey at times. Maybe I didn't correctly adjust the tyre pressure I dunno.

Are they made of the same type of compound or are they using a cheaper harder rubber on their firestone brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

I bought a set of firestones once when the correct size bridgestone werent in stock, ended up bringing them back 2 days later, absolutley terrible. I bought an opel vectra with firestones on it and ended up changing them as the car was undriveable ( arse end out at 70mph anyone:rolleyes:)
    I cant obviously comment onevery model firestone produce, but in my opinion they are ****e and there is a good reason they are cheaper. So dont accept the " sure their made by brigestone" crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I went from Goodyear to Firestone and love them.

Even this morning coming out of the town with snow on the roads (gritters must be keeping their stock pile for themselves) they held to the road very well.

Got them for a tonne a tyre too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

mondeo wrote: »
    I never knew firestone were made by Bridgestone. I had firestone tyres on my old A6 and found them slippy and slidey at times. Maybe I didn't correctly adjust the tyre pressure I dunno.

Are they made of the same type of compound or are they using a cheaper harder rubber on their firestone brand?

Firestones of old weren't great, sure they even had a huge lawsuit in the states for faulty tyres causing SUV rollovers. In recent years, however, they have the backing of Bridgestone so they are vastly improved over what they used to be. The old firehawks weren't great at all IMO

I like to test any new tyres I get so I know what their grip levels are like on various surfaces/conditions and the TZ300's(on an astra, keep in mind that the same type of tyres will perform differently on different cars) grip very well in the slipperiest conditions(tried on ice and light snow last night:eek:) and am more then happy with them.

Remember that almost any branded tyre will be lightyears ahead of the cheap Chinese stuff anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Clocked up 50,000 kms on a Golf GT 170 bhp with Bridgestone Turanzas, they're superb tyres and there was about 3mm tread left when I sold the car this year, having rotated them on each service.

Advertisement