Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cracked tooth

Options
  • 02-12-2011 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

Seems that my clenching has done big damages. One thing after another, I should move in with my dentist... :rolleyes:

The latest in the saga is a cracked wisdom tooth (bottom), I visited VHI dental with a pain when chewing (no pain otherwise). He X rayed it and the roots are fine, there is no decay (there was a filling on top already). He asked me to bite on a plastic thing, and diagnosed a cracked tooth, even though the crack is not visible (to the eye or on the X ray). He advised to remove the filling a put a dressing and see how it would progress. If it feels better, I'll just have the filling redone.

I remember asking the question, but may be it's the sedation, I can't remember the answer. If the pain doesn't get better, do I absolutely have to have the tooth extracted or can a root canal fix the problem? And if there is a root canal, do I need a crown?

Also, what are the odds for a cracked tooth to get better with a dressing?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Cracked teeth (at the back of the mouth) generally need to be crowned. Sometimes a root canal is also necessary.

On rare occasions you may get by with a new filling. (depends on the crack). Removing the old filling makes it easier to see the extent of the crack. I'm not sure putting in a temp dressing will be of any benefit other than buying a little time to make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Cracked teeth (at the back of the mouth) generally need to be crowned. Sometimes a root canal is also necessary.

On rare occasions you may get by with a new filling. (depends on the crack). Removing the old filling makes it easier to see the extent of the crack. I'm not sure putting in a temp dressing will be of any benefit other than buying a little time to make a decision.

:( Why then did he say that it might (although he stressed that it might not) improve things?
    Thanks for your answer. Another question: because it's a wisdom tooth, would it not be easier to remove it altogether rather than opting for a crown that only has a limited life time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

I can't really speak for your dentist. And he does have an advantage over me insofar as he has seen your tooth. My response to you was just a "general" statement.

It would be a pity to extract the tooth though. Most of your chewing is done on the back molar teeth. Easy is not necessarily better.

Advertisement