Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bug out bag

Options
  • 02-12-2011 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

about bloody time people got serious about the zombie threat, mutated rabies, could happen, anyway zombie bug out bags whats in yours??? e.g. weapons of choice, face mask for splatter, knives etc etc

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

about bloody time people got serious about the zombie threat, mutated rabies, could happen, anyway zombie bug out bags whats in yours??? e.g. weapons of choice, face mask for splatter, knives etc etc
    What about yourself virminhunter?

I've a few things that I would use when bugging out however to be honest I think my first response to a zombie event would be to batten down the hatches at home till the panic (which I consider almost as bad a threat as zombies) dies down.

For that I've my eye on the fencing around my housing estate and I've worked out how to remove it from the edge of my housing estate and attach it to the top of the walls of my house and I've a few other plans to survive the initial stages at home. During this stage I would be salting the meat in my freezer to enhance my food supply for the next phase.

My eventual bug out bag is dependent on what survives this phase unused and whether vehicular transport is viable or whether I have to rely on my own feet or a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

I've a few things that I would use when bugging out however to be honest I think my first response to a zombie event would be to batten down the hatches at home till the panic (which I consider almost as bad a threat as zombies) dies down.

I agree with you 100% what I mean is when you have to go and raid the abandoned supermarkets for canned food or go and syphon petrol from the petrol station what are you throw in the passenger seat of the hilux or on the back of your bike.

I've a few buddies in the army if the apocalypse ever comes I'll get my hands on a few claymores for around the house, give me a shout if the sh!t ever hits the fan I'll see if I can get you a few.

I've two swords and a hammer for shorter range combat. There is also a dozen long spears in my shed that I'd lash to the roof if I get to drive out during the Z apocalype. I reckon a spear would be a decent weapon if you have a group to play zombie keep away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I've two swords and a hammer for shorter range combat. There is also a dozen long spears in my shed that I'd lash to the roof if I get to drive out during the Z apocalype. I reckon a spear would be a decent weapon if you have a group to play zombie keep away.

I wouldn't want to rely on a spear unless I was in a tunnel or something. If they get around you or past the spearhead, it's almost certainly game over.

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to rely on a spear unless I was in a tunnel or something. If they get around you or past the spearhead, it's almost certainly game over.
    Thats why I said I had a few of them, it was for if I had a group of people and could form a formation. I don't know why the hell they are in my shed but since they are I'm not going to throw them out and if the zombie apocalypse comes I'll lash them to the roof of my car and keep for if I get into a group with people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Yea, Since the chaos that would ensue if there was a zombie breakout a lot of death and destruction woudl be caused by rioters, looters and the like. Surviving that I believe would be harder then surviving the zombie holocaust so I think its best to batton down the hatches and ride that bit out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've no need for one, I'm already in the countryside. I do have locations of natural springs though.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've no need for one, I'm already in the countryside. I do have locations of natural springs though.

The countryside is over-rated. Everyone is going to go out that way with fanciful dreams of surviving off the land. I think you'd be safer in a city once the rioters have passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 clownman

If i had a shotgun and slash hook for defence,a couple of first aid kits and a pack of fruit pastillels id be ready for action.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    The countryside is over-rated. Everyone is going to go out that way with fanciful dreams of surviving off the land. I think you'd be safer in a city once the rioters have passed.
    Cities will turn completely septic once the sewers back up and flood protection fails, the cities will also be full of rotting corpses contaminating the water supply. It won't be possible to live in any city once society collapses. London will be completely gone it will sink under the river Thames.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Cities will turn completely septic once the sewers back up and flood protection fails, the cities will also be full of rotting corpses contaminating the water supply. It won't be possible to live in any city once society collapses. London will be completely gone it will sink under the river Thames.

Good point, didn't think of that.

It seems the only real option would be a lighthouse/other building on an island or a decent sized private boat on a freshwater lake. Staying on the mainland of whichever country you're in on Z Day is going to be extremely dodgy regardless of whether you're in a city or out in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭3nero

Never mind a bag, i have a bug out vehicle.

It's a van that has been converted into a stealth camper. it has a cooker a sink and a bed installed and is permanently stocked with 200 litres of water 3 bottles of gas and enough food to last about 2 weeks. if the zombies ever come knocking all i have to do is grab my crossbow and keys and I'm outta here.
    my first stop will be a local warehouse that stocks sports supplies for all the sports shops. I've been in it and have spotted bows and arrows, javelins, baseball bats and hurling sticks. I'm a key holder for the building next door so access will not be a problem. I'll park the van inside the warehouse i have the keys for, knock a hole through the wall to the next building stock up on weapons and then wait there a few days until the time is right to head for the hills.
    If everything goes to plan then hopefully i'll pick up some cute chick that needs rescuing and we can spend our time trying to repopulate the planet :P

Advertisement