Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro SSD Compatibility

Options
  • 01-12-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

I'm looking at getting the 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD for christmas. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 15' (6,2). The drive is SATA III, but I find conflicting reports on the net of certain SSD's not performing well on certain machines, something about TRIM support??? (Yeah I'm on SL not Lion, no plans to upgrade)

Just need to know if anyone has any experience with these things (Ill be using the thing to change the optical bay into a 2nd HD bay for my HDD, and put the SSD in the original HD bay. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

I'm looking at getting the 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD for christmas. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 15' (6,2). The drive is SATA III, but I find conflicting reports on the net of certain SSD's not performing well on certain machines, something about TRIM support??? (Yeah I'm on SL not Lion, no plans to upgrade)

Just need to know if anyone has any experience with these things (Ill be using the thing to change the optical bay into a 2nd HD bay for my HDD, and put the SSD in the original HD bay. Cheers.

i have 2 macbook pros, one 15" mid 2010 model bought in 2011, i7 standard sata drive..

i recently bought another new 2011 model with factory installed ssd and i7 chip with 8gb ram, this machine screams along, and is lightening fast, compared to the other one with the standard sata drive.

the difference is truly amazing, when i click on excel it takes 1 sec to open.

boot time into lion is under 30 secs, and safari opened, well worth the money. I will be putting in an SSD in the other mac too, soon and will go with the 500gb model ssd.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

OK... Which SSD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

OK... Which SSD?

it says Apple SSD under disk utility, TS512C

LH2011 wrote: »
    it says Apple SSD under disk utility, TS512C

Right well I'm looking at the OCZ Vertex 3 so...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

is it hard to swap them out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

From what I've read TRIM (not an acronym !) is simply a command used with SSDs to reduce the number of writes to the flash memory. It allows the drive to mark data or LBAs as no longer in use so the drives controller no longer writes the data when operating. Flash memory has a limited number of write operations that can be performed so minimising those writes increases it's life.

Snow Leopard doesn't support the command for SSDs but it can be made to whereas Lion has built in support for TRIM.

I'm guessing the performance issues you've read about are to do with the lifespan of the drives and not day to day performance ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BTW if you're thinking of changing removing the optical drive, just put the SSD in its place instead of ALSO moving the HDD out.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    BTW if you're thinking of changing removing the optical drive, just put the SSD in its place instead of ALSO moving the HDD out.

Why? I was looking at some reviews of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ZXZB3E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A2IVZZEGYH2BXP bipra optical bay caddy, and some people said 1.5GBPS rather than the ordinary SATA 3GBPS I would get if I moved the HDD to the optical bay and the SSD to the HD bay

Advertisement