Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview tactics for a long term unemployed

Options
  • 01-12-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

So i've been unemployed for more than a year (maybe a year and a half), since graduating from college. I have an decent CV up to that point. In the time since, i've sent out maaaanymanymany cv's, to proper jobs, WPP jobs, JobBridge jobs, jobs in areas that i'd retrained in previously, etc. Only a handful of applications received a response (zero responses for internships, they were all paid positions), and an even smaller handful went on to an interview.

So at this stage i'm getting a little desperate, and the longer it goes on, the less employable i feel i am. I have an interview set up for next week sometime, and i want to maximize my chances of getting it. It's for a paid position, but up to that point, for the last few months, i'd been looking at just internships on JobBridge. Now my last few interviews for paid positions didn't go amazingly, and i think the main reasons were the fact that i have been unemployed so long, which seemed to create an immediate bad vibe, combined with a slight rusting of my skill-set (despite trying to keep it fresh).

SO, my question is, if i was prepared to work for free (from the companies perspective, via jobbridge), would it increase or decrease my chances of a position if the company knew this? As in, if on paper i'm a good candidate for a job, but have a poor interview and don't get the paid position, and then said "you know...i'd work for free" (maybe with a little wink), i'd imagine that they might be a little tempted but wouldn't go for it, after making a (hypothetically) poor impression during the interview.

Whereas if i go in and before the interview starts say "you know...i may work for free ;)", i'd imagine that this would put me out of the running for the paid position. But i'm not sure if it'd increase or decrease the chances of an internship then (increase it because the context of the interview isn't judging me for the paid position, but decrease it because it'd look unconfident or something).

So to sum up my rambling question, is there any possible way to increase the chances of getting a job, by offering the idea of a trial/internship? I'd almost see value in the idea of an internship to boost ones confidence and regain ones skill-set, and i'd half think that a money-grubbing company would jump at the chance for a few months of 'free' work, but at the same time, it doesn't seem possible to offer the idea without making a bad impression?

I might be overthinking this, but a year+ of unemployment does strange things to your thinking :s

(I'm not condoning exploiting JobBridge, which i think is a joke of a scheme, i just want to maximize my chances of getting into paid employment more quickly)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

My approach would be different. There is a major untapped jobs market out there: the 'Hidden Jobs Market' - these are opportunities that aren't advertised and the route to go if you're keen on volunteering/interning in your dream company but also to give them a chance to see what you're made of and perhaps keep you on.

With interviews, I would stay remain professional. It's not a 'unique selling point' to devalue yourself. What an unsuccessful interview does provide is an opportunity to go back to that company and offer your wares pro bono afterwards.

What can work best is, having done your research, you figure out a way your firm can make/save money by having you work on a project. If they see the €'s, it's more likely they'll think seriously about you as a proposition.

Interviews can also be improved by improving your techniques: essentially how you communicate your experience and skills but also you as a person.

If you're in Dublin, I recommend www.jobcare.ie. Their EPC course is free and you do two trial interviews and the first is video-taped so you can learn to improve your interviewing skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Thanks a million, that's great advice. That course looks good but it's four weeks long, do you know of any similar non-internet 'emergency' resources, to be better prepared by the end of next week? I *think* my interviewing is ok, but the evidence is stacking against me now at this stage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I like your idea of thinking out side the box, and maybe it might pay dividends for you. Then again maybe not.

Do you run the risk of undervaluing your self in the eyes of the company. Will it be percieved as a lack of confidence in yourself, to win them over by a good interview. And instead , auction your self for the role. Also remember that they are willing to pay for the right candidate, if they wanted a freebie, then they could have gone the internship route or similar.

Its the sort of decision that might have to be made on the fly, during the interview. Only of course, if you feel that things are slipping away from you, and its a last ditch attempt , all or nothing scenario.

But if was interviewing you.....I,d be impressed with the suggestion:)

I remember many years ago , interviewing for a senior professional post. there were three others interviewing as well. My interview went great. And i was asked to wait while the others were interviewed as well.

After an hour and a half, I was called back in for a second interview. I was told that I was the ideal candidate that they wanted, but there was a problem. The salary that was on offer, was acceptible to the 3 other gentlemen, but they wanted me for the role, and would I take the lower offer.

I told them that I wasn,t in the habit of entering into a labour auction at an interview, and withdrew my cv from the table. At that point there was a bit of discussion between the manager and production foreman about increasing their offer. I told them not to bother, and that I couldn,t in all good conscience work for a company that used such tactics, and got up and left.

I told the other guys on the way out, that I had been offered the job for 5k more than they had, but I turned it down:D:D I,d say negotiations were interesting then.

Now of course, it would be a different story.

kadman

Haha wow, that was a ballsy move on your part. I'd love to have similarly rigorous principles but i'll have to scramble my way into some sort of job first i think!

So that's basically the issue, i know that offering to work for free would devalue me entirely. But i wouldn't mind that seeing as i'd been looking at internships anyway. If it increased my chances of paid employment i'd be ok with it for 3-6 months maybe. The issue is whether it'd devalue me out of a paid position AND internship, and i'm guessing it might.

I think you're right about figuring it out on the fly.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

The one thing that is going for you, is that at least you are getting your foot in the door, and thats a major bonus. So many enquiries into roles often end up with no interview.

One of them will click for you, I,m sure.

Bets of luck, and keep us posted.

kadman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

I've just noticed this thread and thought I would post a rely mainly because I am in a similar situation to the OP, graduated this year and have been applying to countless jobs I come across advertised on the web. Having had enough of not getting even a reply to the majority of these I have taken a different approach. I too am willing to work for free or very little to get some experience or just get in the door somewhere, So what I have done over the last while is gather a list of companies that are in my area of expertise and have room/capacity for someone to progress in and are within a reasonable distance/bus ride from home, Now for each company I have done the usual research and produced a cover letter expressing my interest in any positions and/or the possibility of working on any projects that are running where my skill set can be used. I didnt mention I would work for free but emphasized that i am looking to gain experience this way the topic is very much open for discussion and if you go in there willing to work for free and come out with min wage well then score! On the other hand the possibility of being able to work on a project if it is for free still puts you into a great position as you will gain contacts and learn. Anyway I sent this off to the first company on my list and have already gotten further than any other application.
    Hope this helps somewhat.
    Good luck

Oh that's great that you're already getting results. I've asked a bunch of people who work in the area i'm looking at, and i've had mixed responses. Some say it might help, some say it'd mean you've no chances of getting anything. So i'll just have to play it by ear.

So you haven't explicitly mentioned internships or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

floorpie wrote: »
    So you haven't explicitly mentioned internships or whatever?

No I havent mentioned anything, basically said I am willing to do anything. but worded it a little differently. I wouldn't listen do much to others opinions either, it either works or it doesnt. The thing is there are jobs out there its just finding them or cheekily creating them! even if it is for little or nothing.

Advertisement