Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Tax

Options
  • 01-12-2011 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how I sort this out?

I was with a recruitment agency for the past 3 years and was made pernament last Thursday.
    So I went to the tax office on Friday with my PPS number and the company's tax number so I wouldn't get emergency taxed.
    So today I got my payslip for the final week in the agency and what ever holiday pay I was due. But half of that was emergency taxed. I also got my p45.
    Does anyone have any ideas of how I go about claiming that back.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Does anyone know how I sort this out?

I was with a recruitment agency for the past 3 years and was made pernament last Thursday.
    So I went to the tax office on Friday with my PPS number and the company's tax number so I wouldn't get emergency taxed.
    So today I got my payslip for the final week in the agency and what ever holiday pay I was due. But half of that was emergency taxed. I also got my p45.
    Does anyone have any ideas of how I go about claiming that back.
    Thanks.
    /\

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Call the Revenue 1890 service and ask them if they have those p45 details on file. If they do, then a new tax credit cert will already have issued to your new employer enabling them to refund any overpayment of tax in your wages.

Call the Revenue 1890 service and ask them if they have those p45 details on file. If they do, then a new tax credit cert will already have issued to your new employer enabling them to refund any overpayment of tax in your wages.

I gave my p45 to my new employer today and he says that I'll be emergency taxed in my salary for December but not too much and I can claim what ever I'm owed when I get my p60.

Only reason I went to tax office last week was to make sure I didn't get taxed too much. Turns out if I didn't bother going wouldn't of paid 1c emergency tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭the-jojo-axiom

On that, what happens if you give the P45 to Social Welfare, but then get a job after a while? Do you have to go back in to the dole office to ask for it back in order not to get emergency taxed in your new job?

On that, what happens if you give the P45 to Social Welfare, but then get a job after a while? Do you have to go back in to the dole office to ask for it back in order not to get emergency taxed in your new job?

P45 is divided into 4 parts. Part 1 is sent to Revenue by your former employer. Parts 2, 3 and 4 are given to you. You only give part 4 to Social Welfare. If you do not happen to have a P45, call Revenue with the date you started the new job and your new employers PAYE registered number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭the-jojo-axiom

P45 is divided into 4 parts. Part 1 is sent to Revenue by your former employer. Parts 2, 3 and 4 are given to you. You only give part 4 to Social Welfare. If you do not happen to have a P45, call Revenue with the date you started the new job and your new employers PAYE registered number.

Ah right. Well I had to contact the previous employer (technically my last employer was the university who were paying me a studentship for tutoring while finishing up my degree) to get the p45...which came as one pink form which I duly handed over to Social Welfare. I have no idea what parts were what.

I'll give Revenue a ring so on Monday. I'm starting the new job on Monday, but working two weeks in hand so fingers crossed Revenue will have me sorted by then.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When it gets close to Christmas, Revenue stop issuing tax credits for the year: all new hires get emergency taxed (which is pretty low for the first few weeks), and told to sort it out once the year is over.

The important thing now is to make sure that your tax-credits cert for 2012 is issued, so you're not emergency taxed then.

JustMary wrote: »
    When it gets close to Christmas, Revenue stop issuing tax credits for the year: all new hires get emergency taxed (which is pretty low for the first few weeks), and told to sort it out once the year is over.

The important thing now is to make sure that your tax-credits cert for 2012 is issued, so you're not emergency taxed then.

Thanks Mary will do think the tax credits should be fine for 2012.
    How will I go about claiming the few bob emergency tax ill have paid in 2011 is it wait until I get my p60?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How will I go about claiming the few bob emergency tax ill have paid in 2011 is it wait until I get my p60?

Wait 'til you get your P60, then contact revenue and ask for a P21 (balancing statement) for the year.

Wait 'til you get your P60, then contact revenue and ask for a P21 (balancing statement) for the year.

Slightly quicker to do it online when you have your P60. January, February and March are the busiest time of the year for PAYE sections in Revenue so response times for the 1890 service and emails can be quite slow. If you need to physically send your P60 to Revenue to look for a prior year review you can be waiting up to 10 weeks for the review to issue. The drop in staff numbers will only increase this.
    The PAYE anytime service gives you a 24 to 48 hour turnaround and you can access it 24 hours a day. If you do not know how to use the service, watch the demo online. It's akin to internet banking.

• Advertisement

Slightly quicker to do it online when you have your P60. January, February and March are the busiest time of the year for PAYE sections in Revenue so response times for the 1890 service and emails can be quite slow. If you need to physically send your P60 to Revenue to look for a prior year review you can be waiting up to 10 weeks for the review to issue. The drop in staff numbers will only increase this.
    The PAYE anytime service gives you a 24 to 48 hour turnaround and you can access it 24 hours a day. If you do not know how to use the service, watch the demo online. It's akin to internet banking.

Thanks will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

tax office is still giving out and changing and assigning credits for this year. I had a few people start work these last 2 weeks and rang up for their credits/cutoffs. today was the most recent I got info from them so give them a call asap.

Advertisement