Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel raising prices for the boss!

Options
  • 01-12-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Was having a look at hotels for the 17th of July, the night of the Springsteen concert. Last week one of the hotels that we checked out was advertising rooms at €129 for a twin, room only, this week the price has doubled to €220.00! This is a city centre hotel, presumably it's a busy one, so why attempt to fleece people in this way? The rates for the nights before and after are €100 lower so it's pretty obvious. Looks like we'll be camping ;);)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

tom333 wrote: »
    Was having a look at hotels for the 17th of July, the night of the Springsteen concert. Last week one of the hotels that we checked out was advertising rooms at €129 for a twin, room only, this week the price has doubled to €220.00! This is a city centre hotel, presumably it's a busy one, so why attempt to fleece people in this way? The rates for the nights before and after are €100 lower so it's pretty obvious. Looks like we'll be camping ;);)

Sure as mr Aiken says himself, don't be harping' on about prices going up. Sure we're just going to have to face up to the fact we're being fleeced

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭G S R

Why didn't you book a hotel last week that had a free cancellation policy?

It's the only way to do it when buying concert tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Its the boss himself that should be answering some questions..

86/96 for a ticket in the RDS. Not this time Bruce. I know it will be unbelievable but that venue for that price is just ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

It's basic supply and demand. Same reasons flights go up when there's a big game on etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    It's basic supply and demand. Same reasons flights go up when there's a big game on etc.

+1 Can't understand why the likes of Joe Duffy takes calls from people about this type of 'rip off' - does RTE charge the same rates for advertising during the Late Late show as they do in the afternoon? Didn't think so.

The same will happen next year in London during the Olympics and happens in Dublin every year on the weekends of rugby internationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I thought there were loads of hotels around dublin charging as little as €39 per room per night?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I thought there were loads of hotels around dublin charging as little as €39 per room per night?

Lots of great deals to be had, at prices that would yield no profit to the hotel. They need to sell some rooms at higher prices to give themselves a chance of making something. That's why they charge more when there is a possibility of filling their rooms at good prices. Without such strategies, there probably would be a great shortage of hotels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

QUOTE=Lombardo86;75774520]

86/96 for a ticket in the RDS. Not this time Bruce. I know it will be unbelievable but that venue for that price is just ridiculous[/QUOTE]

It's worth ever penny and the €500 I've spent on flights to get home for the concert. Cannot wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

these prices increases around certain event are what are keeping some hotels afloat. and if they didnt charge the extra, they'd have to just increase their everynight prices to compensate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Hotels like airlines have x number of rooms at one price and then prices increase up to the published rack rate. Hotels cannot legallty go above their published rack rate.

The same rubbish is spouted about airlines. One day a flight is 79.00, a week later the same flight is 279.00 - possibly the "journalist" doesn't understand that a few pepole may have booked flights in the emantime and the cheap tickets gone. Same with hotels - they are a business and in order to have special offers, they also have to sell rooms at full rate. Same applies to every hotel worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The rates for the nights before and after are €100 lower so it's pretty obvious.
    Of course its obvious. Please answer this, if you owned a hotel would you have the exact same prices all the time?

A hotel manager would be rightly sacked if they were that much of an idiot. What would the investors/directors think.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 Can't understand why the likes of Joe Duffy takes calls from people about this type of 'rip off' - does RTE charge the same rates for advertising during the Late Late show as they do in the afternoon? Didn't think so.
    Brilliant comparison!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

Would you prefer hotels went down the old route and just charged a flat rate of 100 pound per night, only changing it for specific seasons? The current method airline style graded pricing is generally a much better deal for the consumer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

The current method airline style graded pricing is generally a much better deal for the consumer.

Course it is ;). Cos when nobody wants to go stay in a hotel some random midweek its next to nothing

BUT... When you actually need to stay in the hotel it's 4 or 5 times the normal cost....

Yeah :rolleyes: that really is MUCH better for consumers

Course it is ;). Cos when nobody wants to go stay in a hotel some random midweek its next to nothing

BUT... When you actually need to stay in the hotel it's 4 or 5 times the normal cost....

It's called differential pricing. It lets people like me have lots of incredibly cheap holidays in Ireland and around the world by taking my holidays at the right time and people like you cover the cost. Thanks.

ps. you rarely ever "need" to stay in a hotel and in this case you don't need to. You are making the choice to go with the crowd.

I prefer it that way. First you said "next to nothing", then you said it is 4-5 times the "normal cost", so what is "normal cost" I am guessing you are equating "next to nothing" with "normal cost", when really the midweek should be considered the discounted cost.

Many businesses do this, lunch menus, early bird evening menu, matinee cinema, pubs increasing prices as the night goes on, nightclubs free in before 11, kids go free etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

Of course a hotel should try and get as much as it can for a room when that room is in demand!
    Prices are obviously going to be influenced by demand (or expected demand!)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I just checked the Jackson Court hotel, i've stayed there a few times and its always been relatively good value. But sure what do you know its €59 for the Monday night and €139 for the Tuesday(night of the concert!). :rolleyes:

I just checked the Jackson Court hotel, i've stayed there a few times and its always been relatively good value. But sure what do you know its €59 for the Monday night and €139 for the Tuesday(night of the concert!). :rolleyes:
    Are your rolleyes implying this is not relatively good value? what are other hotels in the area charging on that day?

As I asked the other guy, if you owned a hotel would you have the exact same prices all the time?

Yep Monday night its a special offer - subsidised by the fact that they can get higher rates on other days such as weekends and days when there is a major concert.

at €59 a night, every night for every room no good quality hotel could stay in business.

Its BASIC rate movement within the hotel business WORLDWIDE. Why are hotels in birmingham £200+ for the 4 days of spring fair? What are rates in Frankfurt min €300 for the 5 days of Tedence, whay is every hotel in vegas charging $200++++ during the technolgy fair?

It is absolutle NOT a rip off in any way shape or form, its how pricing works in the hotel sector everywhere in the world.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Are your rolleyes implying this is not relatively good value? what are other hotels in the area charging on that day?

As I asked the other guy, if you owned a hotel would you have the exact same prices all the time?

Maxer Monday night's rate is not a special offer. I've stayed there a few times and Monday-Thursday night are usually €59 and Sunday is €69 even during the peak holiday months. It was the one place where i though you might get the night for under €100.

Welcome to the free market. Of all the things to get upset about as a consumer...

Maxer Monday night's rate is not a special offer. I've stayed there a few times and Monday-Thursday night are usually €59 and Sunday is €69 even during the peak holiday months. It was the one place where i though you might get the night for under €100.

so what the difference between Sunday night & Monday night? Also why is there an even bigger difference than €10 between Friday & Saturdays night and the Monday night??

Possibly because that how hotel pricing works - when they knwo they don;t ave demand, they drop their prices to fill it up as the extra cost of having someone sleep in the room is relatively small.

Same question can be asked of why a restaurant offers a eraly bird at 7pm, yet at 8pm the exact same food is 30% more expensive. Or an airline selling a ticket to heathrow at 7am on a monday mornign and 11am on the exact same moring - the price difference will be about €200.

Welcome to the world of travel - if your are flexible, you get great deals all over the world, if you have to be there and thousands of other have to be there too, you will pay for the privilidge. Its not a rip off, its simply how it works.

OP: check out the Skylon Hotel in Drumcondra :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

It is much better for consumers, those who value to stay at the hotel more than others will get the rooms and those who don't value to rooms as much will not get it.

So it is better as the people who want it more get it, its the fairest way of doing it. It makes sure that the people who need it/value it get it.

The hotels could get more but they choose not to, so the price is not bad.

Advertisement