Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Chat! [split from Limerick Businesses Opening]

Options
  • 29-11-2011 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭

With the popularity of the smaller old style pubs etc... Pubs seem to be going down this route now, mollys have tried it to a certain extent, bourkes, a small bar put beside the old quarter (o connells)' now aubars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I dont like O'Connells. Its not really considered a smaller old style pub to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Mc Love wrote: »
    I dont like O'Connells. Its not really considered a smaller old style pub to be honest.

Agreed with that. They have to be commended for the effort they put into maintaining the general area around the pub and are an example to other business in Limerick, but the pub itself seems to have a bit of identity crisis and if I was looking to go for a few pints of Guinness it wouldn't really be my idea of a "proper" pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

bazz26 wrote: »
    The new Paddy Frawly's pub (next door to and part of Aubar's) opened last Friday night:

Photo from their facebook page:

392303_146304788808364_146303522141824_172610_1144129168_n.jpg

Reminds me of O' Connors in Salthill.

Fantastic pub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

bazz26 wrote: »
    The new Paddy Frawly's pub (next door to and part of Aubar's) opened last Friday night:

Photo from their facebook page:

392303_146304788808364_146303522141824_172610_1144129168_n.jpg

Looks nice but its a like a pub that comes in a box

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You can buy pubs in boxes now?! :eek: Sweet!

:pac:

• Advertisement

You know what i mean you can buy fake old pubs from companies shur look at all the irish pubs worldwide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

bigpink wrote: »
    You know what i mean you can buy fake old pubs from companies shur look at all the irish pubs worldwide

Who cares? It looks like a nice place to go for a pint. That's all that really matters, doesn't matter if it's been like that for 100 years or 100 minutes, once the atmosphere is right and the beer is good then that's all that matters.

Having spoken to one of the lads behind it, I can tell you that transformation was done in 4 days on a small budget...I think they've done very well in such a short time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's refreshing to have a new pub in the city.

source wrote: »
    Who cares? It looks like a nice place to go for a pint. That's all that really matters, doesn't matter if it's been like that for 100 years or 100 minutes, once the atmosphere is right and the beer is good then that's all that matters.

Having spoken to one of the lads behind it, I can tell you that transformation was done in 4 days on a small budget...I think they've done very well in such a short time frame.

It is nice and yes it is nice to have a new pub but you just can'y buy character is all i meant

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It is nice and yes it is nice to have a new pub but you just can'y buy character is all i meant

That's a pretty good point, actually. Reminds me of why I never took to clubs like Trooms and Angel Lane, or the bigger bars like Scotts and Smyths. All noise and lights, little by way of character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

That's a pretty good point, actually. Reminds me of why I never took to clubs like Trooms and Angel Lane, or the bigger bars like Scotts and Smyths. All noise and lights, little by way of character.

Scotts, Russells and those others that sprung around the housing estates have to be the most souless bars I was ever in.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Scotts, Russells and those others that sprung around the housing estates have to be the most souless bars I was ever in.

+1 again. I've enjoyed them for lunches/dinners (to be fair, they do decent enough food) but not for nights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

For me the last decent sized pub in Limerick that had real character (and characters :D) was Quins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Kess73 wrote: »
    For me the last decent sized pub in Limerick that had real character (and characters :D) was Quins.

I like pubs that serve alcohol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Kess73 wrote: »

Good old quins, they didn't need bouncers they just had to open the doors, dunno what it was about quins but that entrance seemed to be the focus for all cold winds in the city.

Reckon this stuff deserves a thread of its own. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I like pubs that serve alcohol :D

You like pubs with low counters and tables. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

Has to be said always thought the pint in aubars was crap at the best of times so unless they have rectified this I won't be frequenting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

sioda wrote: »
    Has to be said always thought the pint in aubars was crap at the best of times so unless they have rectified this I won't be frequenting

Last time I was in Aubars (about 18 months ago) they were charging 50 - 60c a pint more than everywhere else and as you said it was crap. Won't set foot in there again with those prices no matter how cosy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Last time I was in Aubars (about 18 months ago) they were charging 50 - 60c a pint more than everywhere else and as you said it was crap. Won't set foot in there again with those prices no matter how cosy it is.

Personally I think the whole aubars set up has ideas waaay above their station, went for an interview there for partime waitressing during the summer and the interview was deadly, lasted 30 mins, didnt get the job, thank god, got one elsewhere and have since been promoted to manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Played the opening night of the Blind Pig there on Friday night. Savage little bar, well on it's way to becoming a popular hangout spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

roast wrote: »
    Played the opening night of the Blind Pig there on Friday night. Savage little bar, well on it's way to becoming a popular hangout spot.

He had such a savage night that he was sold out of most products by 11pm on Friday night. Haven't seen it since it opened, it was a building site last time I saw it.

So much potential in that building.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Quins .... used to frequent when on the doss from Moylish. Always got caught with that giant step out to the toilets.

" The Vintage Club ".

Wheres the blind pig?petty bad sign to run out of most products on your opening night

Wheres the blind pig?petty bad sign to run out of most products on your opening night

Or it's a pretty good sign, depending on what way you look at it. ;)
    Entrance is on Foxes Bow. It's underneath 31 Thomas Street.

For a packed opening you should be well stocked up lol Was it a free bar?Oh is this the new metal and rock bar?

They were pretty well stocked up. :D A free bar? Lawd no.

Yep, new metal/rock bar. Deadly spot!
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003098075054

Must check it out

Advertisement