Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converted Files

Options
  • 01-12-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask so if not Mods can you move to the correct forum! Im not exactly a "techie" so this might seem like a silly thing to ask but basically I received an email today with a file attached. I wasnt able to open it as it was so instead I choose to open it with Notepad to read the content. Now it appears to be stuck in Notepad format (as are other older files like it saved on my computer). Anyways I need to get it back to its original format. Can this be done?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The email should still contain the original unless you've deleted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gemma188

It does contain the original but it is in Notepad format now. I got the mail resent also but when I received it it was in Notepad format. Everything (mails and saved files) are now in Notepad format.

How to I get it back to the original....
    http://icons.iconseeker.com/png/fullsize/exempli-gratia/z-file-blank.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

gemma188 wrote: »
    It does contain the original but it is in Notepad format now. I got the mail resent also but when I received it it was in Notepad format. Everything (mails and saved files) are now in Notepad format.

How to I get it back to the original....
    http://icons.iconseeker.com/png/fullsize/exempli-gratia/z-file-blank.png

For XP:
    My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/File Types
    Scroll down to the file extension you altered & change the default program.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

When you opened it with Notepad you must have had the box 'Always use the selected program to open this type of file' checked. That then sets/changes the default programme to be used to open that type of file.

The post above tells you how to change the default programme back to what it should be.

Thanks for the help guys! Im actually using Vista. I've got as far as "Set Associations and opened the file. It does allow me to change from Notepad to other things such as Word, Internet Explorer etc but I dont see an option to set as default. Am I missing something obvious?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

gemma188 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys! Im actually using Vista. I've got as far as "Set Associations and opened the file. It does allow me to change from Notepad to other things such as Word, Internet Explorer etc but I dont see an option to set as default. Am I missing something obvious?

Don't think there is a default preset, all depends which software you use.
    What's the extension or filetype that your trying to change ?.
    I've not got Vista in front of me so I can't guide you properly.

I dont know what the original format was. Is there any way to find out? It just came in like the image I have in one of the previous posts.

Advertisement