Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance

Options
  • 01-12-2011 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I just received my Health Insurance renewal quote and like everything it has gone up. 2600 for 2 adults and 2 kids( age 3 years and 6 months). I know second child has only come onto the policy which accounts for some of the increase but its still crazy money.
    We are with aviva on Level 2 hospital.

I will shop around and will probably drop down level 2 on the ladder but My question is mainly around the Kids. By default they are on the same policy but I heard something in the past that you should put your kids on Level 1 as they will have to go the children's hospital for treatment anyway and that is covered by level 1.

How true or false that is I'm not sure maybe someone in know can help me out as to the best option on a policy.

Thanks
    Kev.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

kevgaa,
    look at www.hia.ie for comparison on the health insurances. conor pope in the irish times, suggests ringing your insurer and asking them to quote you for the "corporate alternative" policy - its generally the exact same policy but is priced differently to appeal to the corporate bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

kevgaa wrote: »
    My question is mainly around the Kids. By default they are on the same policy but I heard something in the past that you should put your kids on Level 1 as they will have to go the children's hospital for treatment anyway and that is covered by level 1.

How true or false that is I'm not sure maybe someone in know can help me out as to the best option on a policy.

For serious illnesses, children are usually admitted to the children's hospitals (e.g. Crumlin, Temple Street), but children can be referred to general public and private hospitals for other treatments. I know people whose children have had gromits, tonsils and the like done in private hospitals.

For children or adults, I'd suggest keeping cover for private hospitals if it doesn't break the bank. They tend to have shorter waiting lists, which means being admitted and treated quicker. That's not to say that private hospitals will cure everything that ails you, but for the less urgent, but still important stuff, they are handy to have access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭cbee20

Got a renewal quote from Quinn for 1590 for 2 adults and 1 student. Looked at www.hia.ie and searched for a new quote from Quinn and the same policy came in at 1105. Shop around. Have heard a few people (and a doctor) say they would prefer to be treated in a public teaching hospital as there are plenty of staff with expertise around. If an emergency occurs in a private hospital, sometimes patients have to be transferrred to public hospitals. A friend in a private hospital recently spent most of the day alone as no one checked in on her. If you're ill, you don't really need luxury(!!) accommodation. The treatment you get is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I would totally agree. For any and all emergencies I'll be heading to a public hospital, never a private one. For non essential operations (maybe repairing a knee or something along those lines) I'll go to a private

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

kevgaa wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I just received my Health Insurance renewal quote and like everything it has gone up. 2600 for 2 adults and 2 kids( age 3 years and 6 months). I know second child has only come onto the policy which accounts for some of the increase but its still crazy money.
    We are with aviva on Level 2 hospital.

I will shop around and will probably drop down level 2 on the ladder but My question is mainly around the Kids. By default they are on the same policy but I heard something in the past that you should put your kids on Level 1 as they will have to go the children's hospital for treatment anyway and that is covered by level 1.

Thanks
    Kev.

Level 2 Health excess for the 4 of you would cost €1,674. Children under 1 at renewal time with Aviva are free. Quinn and VHi will charge you.

• Advertisement

I think aviva have change that policy and Children are now only free until renewal Broker2008. Was handy while it lasted but alas as with all good things they come to an end :(

183672.jpg

http://www.avivahealth.ie/health-plans/level-2-health-excess/

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I think aviva have change that policy and Children are now only free until renewal Broker2008. Was handy while it lasted but alas as with all good things they come to an end :(

183672.jpg

http://www.avivahealth.ie/health-plans/level-2-health-excess/

There can be limitations on a website. If a child is under 1 at renewal there is no charge - ring a broker or Aviva on their call centre to confirm that this is the case.

Newborns go free
    If you have served relevant waiting periods with Aviva or
    another insurer we will offer your new born the same level
    of cover as you, once you apply to include your child on
    your contract within 13 weeks of his or her birth and Aviva
    will not apply any waiting or exclusionary periods.

Aviva members are not charged a premium for their
    newborn until the renewal date after their 1st birthday.

Have you a link for that broker2008 please?

• Advertisement

Cheers Broker2008. The only thing that would concern me is I cant find anything on the Aviva site now about that and the link you have has as part of it's address the word:
    oldstructure
    avivahealth.ie/whats-new/oldstructure/see-how-aviva-can-give-fr/

which would worry me. Anyone hoping for this should double check they're getting it before signing up. It's possible (I'm unsure anyway) that this is no longer available

Like all contracts, one should refer to the membership handbook, tables of cover (aviva) , rules (quinn), terms and conditions and tables of benefit (vhi) for their specific plan - as these can and do change.

"It's possible (I'm unsure anyway) that this is no longer available"

- I do think that if you are unsure you shouldn't pass comment.

http://www.avivahealth.ie/docs/Handbook/Membership-Handbook-June-2011.pdf

Well seeing as the disclaimer for the thread here states:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=251289
    All posts on here do not constitute financial advice. Even the ones from people who work giving financial advice. Posts here are opinion and nothing more. Anything posted here should not be used as the sole basis of making any financial decision

I think I'll continue to pass comment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 notaplumber

Hi, was listening to the Sunday business show this morning on Today FM.

The presenter, Conall o' Morain, has a representative in from Cornmarket group financial services, http://www.healthinsurancesavings.ie/ named Dermot Goode.

In a very informative interview, he among other things stated that all the major health insurance companies will from this Wednesday Feb 15th be allowing children onto policies for free. (So don't jump at eg VHI's current advertisement stating children go half price but only until the 14th Feb). They fail to tell u that one day later the same children won't cost you a cent to add to your policy.

Anyhow, well worth listening to the podcast of that interview. It's on the Today FM website. Click on SHOWS.....WEEKEND SHOWS.... THE SUNDAY BUSINESS SHOW....SUNDAY BUSINESS SHOW BLOG.

Then under the show dated Feb 12th click on 'Listen back here'.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

well its good hes doing the promoting for Aviva theyve just introduced a new plan to counteract the price increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Check out the corporate plans on hia.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

If you look up the hia.ie website and click on the I know the name plans I would like to compare. If you put in the name of your current plan you can compare it to other plans.
    I currently have the Simply Health with Excess from Quinn which does not charge €2000 co-payment on certain orthopaedic procedures, it gives cover for a semi private room in a private hospital with a €50/€125 excess and you can also claim 50% back for gp, consultant visits, optical visits ect with a €1 excess - so one gp visit for anyone in the family and you can make a claim.
    It also has a gp health line which can be useful if you have any worries re the children.
    The cost of the is €795 per adult & €285 for a child.

Advertisement