Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need job so bad-Think my cv. is going against me

Options
  • 01-12-2011 7:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Ok I haven't exactly applied to that many places, but the ones I did to were hiring, and I really think there is a problem with my CV. the problem is that I've worked too many jobs in short ammount of years working, like I don't mean to but longest i've worked in job was 5 months, but one of the jobs was christmas staff, the other was my first job and other was work experience.

i can basically work full time for 2 months as well so seems weird

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Well, the way I put this is that between I've had
    1995 -2009 - 3 jobs including 2 redundancies
    2009 -2011- About 20 maybe 25 different jobs,(fixed contract,work agency work)
    I was let go from my last job on the 22/11/11 , had an interview last tuesday,starting a new job (fixed contract again) next Monday
    I only put on my CV my perm jobs and then usually I explain in the cover letter what I have been doing in the last 2 years
    I'm finding very easy to find temp work,only because I outline in my cover letter all temp/contract work,the fact that you had so many jobs in short space of time could actually work in your favour,it looks much better than doing nothing on your CV/cover letter,trust me

I'ts not weird at all ,its just the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

So long as you can demonstrate in your CV and at interview that you've been working and acquiring experience/skills and improving your personal qualities, this shouldn't be a problem.

An employer would be concerned if you kept quitting jobs. If you tell them you have been working hard to build the qualities required to do the job you're applying for in a challenging environment, then they'll understand it's the world, not you.

Simply: you're a hard worker, a constant worker, and you want an opportunity to get stuck into a long-term role and advance your career.

You've no excuses to make!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'd be similar to you OP. I have worked a variety and many different jobs and longest I have worked in a given job is less than 6 months so think that could be going against me sometimes as any other job I had has been voluntary or work during the summer. Never had a job when in college except during the summer months. Sometimes I think that has come against me that I didn't work during the college term!

For me with my CV I just put down the most relevant and most recent jobs I have had as I have gained more work experience in those jobs and learnt more, spent longer in those jobs despite some between 2-6 months. And they are jobs that I had during the summer when off college and after finishing college too. I would have a lot to talk about those jobs in an interview so I suppose that can show off my work experience and what I have gained and learnt.

Despite that I still feel I have gained a lot of work experience along with what I have achieved from college and put all that together with skills and qualities put together. I have had my foot in the door in IT but still hasn't been enough to get me something long term and permanent. I be lucky to get contract work. Sometimes contract work can be better as you get more work experience but then again if you are in a long term job for more than a year can help get you a role you really want and step up the ladder a bit.

Every employer/company/business is different in their approach in employing people but not much of a major difference I suppose. They each have their own way to employ people. What one company look for might not be the same as what another company be looking for in someone they hire.

Obviously meeting the job requirements or more, having the experience and qualifications, skills, qualities along with meeting the criteria that employers want, suitability for the role/company and being the one they want to hire/competing against other candidates are you just as good as them, the best person for the job or better? It all comes down to those things.

To be honest, it be better to try and go for temp/contract work to build up your CV more it demonstrate your willingness to work and work hard but I suppose trying to get permanent work is hard enough at the moment in this climate. How do you fill that gap when you aren't working? You need to include what you are doing to update your skills and embrace your qualities.

Contract work might be the best you can do. Some employers like variety in peoples work experience others don't as they want them to have a set amount of work experience and be an expert in one particular area.

Good luck with your job search.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Ok I haven't exactly applied to that many places, but the ones I did to were hiring, and I really think there is a problem with my CV. the problem is that I've worked too many jobs in short ammount of years working, like I don't mean to but longest i've worked in job was 5 months, but one of the jobs was christmas staff, the other was my first job and other was work experience.

i can basically work full time for 2 months as well so seems weird

Eden can you get help formatting your CV? Do Fás offer that kind of help? I think I heard that they do, or you can ask to meet with a placement officer?

The other thing is to keep upgrading your skills while you're looking for work. Fás have even got free online courses in MS Office programs, Excel, etc. or if you aren't unemployed you can pay to do them. Or the ECDL.. Having a good command of MS Office is a great asset to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

If you can get into city centre dublin, I found Jobcare.ie on Pearse Street excellent. They run a 4 week part-time course and you'd totally sort out your CV and more by then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement