Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying laptop: Pentium B950 vs i3 2330m

Options
  • 01-12-2011 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

So i'm looking into a laptop for a friend. I've come across a Dell Inspiron for e479 and this Compaq Prescario for e379. The only real difference is the CPU imo.
    The Dell has an i3 2330m @ 2.2 GHz and the Compaq has the Pentium B950 @ 2.1 Ghz

The laptop will be for general use mainly and I doubt the the difference would be noticeable between the two CPU's.

My main concern is about the graphics of the Pentium. There won't be any gaming on the laptop but I would like to be able to play downloaded MKV videos @ 720p. I know this won't be an issue with the i3 but how would the Pentium go?

Should my friend go with the Pentium and use the money on accessories or play it safe and go with the i3?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Read all about the B950 here

Intel Pentium B950 is a dual-core microprocessor, aimed at mobile value market. The processor is one of the first three mobile Pentium models, built on the latest Intel Sandy Bridge micro-architecture. Before launch, in April 2011, the B950 along with slower B940 CPU were spotted in specifications of Hewlett Packard 431 and 630 notebooks. Both Pentiums, as well as ultra-low voltage 957 model, were released in June 2011.
    Intel B950 integrates two CPU cores, clocked at 2.1 GHz. Each core has its own 64 KB level 1 and 256 KB level 2 caches, and both cores share 2 MB level 3 cache. As expected for budget-class processor, the B950 incorporates only basic technologies such as Intel 64 and VT-x virtualization. In addition to the cores and the L3 cache, Pentium B950 integrates memory controller, Direct Media Interface (DMI), and graphics controller. Memory controller on the B950 has two channels, and supports DDR3 memory. The DMI is used to communicate with peripheral devices via South Bridge chip. Integrated graphics controller is powerful enough to display HD content, but doesn't include 3D acceleration and advanced video features, reserved for more expensive Core microprocessors.
    Pentium B950 has 35 Watt Thermal Design Power, and it employs a number of techniques to reduce power consumption. The processor supports all Sandy Bridge's low-power states, which help to conserve the battery power when the CPU is idle. The B950 also incorporates Enhanced SpeedStep technology, that lowers CPU frequency and core voltage, thus lowering power consumption in operational mode.
    The processor is produced in micro-PGA package, compatible with socket G2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Op

if your friend is willing to spend E479 ,then he would not mind spending a few more yoyos on this

Processor AMD Phenom II Quad-Core N930 (2.0 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache)
    Screen 15.6" (Acer CineCrystal, 1366x768 HD, High Brightness)
    Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit
    RAM 8GB (DDR3 1066MHZ)
    Hard Drive 750GB
    Optical Drive DVD Rewriter (Records DVDs 8x & CDs 24x & Dual Layer Super Multi)
    Graphics Dedicated (AMD Radeon HD 6470M with 512MB Dedicated RAM)
    Wireless LAN Wireless (802.11b/g/n Wireless)
    Network Card 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
    Integrated Webcam Integrated Webcam with Microphone
    Card Reader 2-in-1 card reader ( SD, MMC )
    USB Ports 3x USB 2.0 ports
    Speakers Integrated Sound System
    VGA Port 1 External VGA Port
    Kensington Lock Kensington lock slot
    Charge Time 2.5 Hours
    HDMI 1x HDMI Port
    Warranty 12 Months Acer Collect & Return
    Battery Life 2-3 Hours (up to 3 hours with power management)
    Weight 2-3 Kg (This Model 2.5 Kg)
    Please note: Battery life depends on usage. We quote maximum battery life as stat

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5552G_1127185.html

Forget about the 2 laptops you linked,you could get much better value elsewhere

Advertisement