Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Still soiling crate

Options
  • 30-11-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

any advice
    3 month old pup, virtually housebroken, can have an accident in house, but more likely now to go to back door to be let out.
    However still soiling at night in her crate, how do you break this habit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry but at 3 months, pups still cant hold it in all night.

Are you leaving the pup in the crate all night?? If so thats very unfair, as they cant hold it in that long at that age so the pup will need to go, so will go in its crate if its not let out during the night.

You need to let the pup out during the night to go to the toilet and gradually build up the length of time over a few weeks/months so eventually the pups bladder is able to hold it all night.

But you cnat expect a 3 month old pup to be able to hold all night without going.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Tree Scape wrote: »
    any advice
    3 month old pup, virtually housebroken, can have an accident in house, but more likely now to go to back door to be let out.
    However still soiling at night in her crate, how do you break this habit?

You have done really well to get your pup this far at such a young age!
    I think you're just missing a piece of the puzzle here. You're probably not going to like this, but here goes:D
    To really seal the deal with housetraining, there is no more effective a strategy than to get the pup out in the middle of the night. I'm inlcined to think that as you've progressed as far as you have, that this stage isn't going to take your too long, and it is possible to achieve the art of not really waking up when you do the middle-of-the-night toilet run!
    I'd suggest you set the clock for, say 4am. Bring pup out, then straight back to bed when she's done. Now you have a fair idea that she'll stay clean til morning.
    When she is staying reliably dry at 4am, try setting your alarm for bit later, maybe 4.30 or 5am. Then gradually stretch it out until she can hold on through the night when she's a little bit older. As I said above, I don't think this is going to take you too long, because you've the hard work done already!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Tree Scape

sorry she was 10 weeks when we got her, and we've had her about 10 weeks now, so shes easily 20 weeks.
    Shes obviously soiling just before i get up as pooh and pee is usually still wamt.
    will try a 6am call and see if i can get her into habit of holding til i get up and progressively leaving it later?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

How big is the crate? Is she able to poo in one area but still have an area to lie in? Dogs generally wont lie in their own mess - if you could make the crate smaller so that the dog can move about in comfort but not be able to create a sleeping area and a toilet area you may solve the problem - good luck!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Tree Scape wrote: »
    sorry she was 10 weeks when we got her, and we've had her about 10 weeks now, so shes easily 20 weeks.
    Shes obviously soiling just before i get up as pooh and pee is usually still wamt.
    will try a 6am call and see if i can get her into habit of holding til i get up and progressively leaving it later?

Hi OP,
    Even at 5 months, she's doing well and for the time you've had her, progress is pretty good.
    You probably have one of two scenarios going on here. The most likely one is that she is simply not ready to hold on, and has only just gone when you come down in the mornings because she just couldn't hold on any longer. So, yes, the 6am call to let her out is a good plan , keep at this for a week or so, and gradually extend it out to 6.15, 6.30 etc.
    The other scenario, and I hate to mention this as it may not apply at all, is that if a pup is worried about the owner coming downstairs, because she's been given out to, or punished before when she'd soiled the crate, she may be pooping out of anxiety when she hears the owner coming as she's not sure if it's going to be a happy greeting or a cross one. Remember that in these cases, the pup doesn't know the owner is cross because she has soiled the crate, she only knows they're cross, and this can make them really worried about the owner coming downstairs, resulting in a fresh poop or pee waiting when the owner appears.
    This can be cancelled out if you know for sure, which you will, that this has never happened. If it has happened, then you need to make sure never to appear even vaguely peed off with her when you arrive down in the mornings, even if you find a little present waiting for you :D
    Again, please don't take this is me saying this has what happened, but it is a scenario which can cause the problem you're having, so needs to be cancelled out.
    Good luck with her, you've done well so far during her daytime training!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Tree Scape

Thanks for all the advice.
    Her crate is well large for her size, has a blankie in one half, easily conformtable for her to sleep, move position etc., and other half i've left paper in-this is where she poohs!

We never give out to her for doing it in the crate, when we get to her in the morning shes usually going ballistic to get out, and this can cause her to step in the pooh and then spread it when shes let out; in the house, on the floor etc. yes but only if we catch her in the act, in the house she's getting better but she can slink off and leave one somehwere for us to find.

Whats complicated her progress is she injured her leg, one of the kids stood on it, so its been in a split for a few weeks, we've defo seen her regress but we know its because of the injury and discomfort.

So we'll try the earlier rises, ensure we don't give out if shes soiled crate, and see if we can make it a bit smaller.

again thanks for advice....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Don't mean to hijack thread op but I myself am having trouble with crate training my 10 week old I am getting up during the night but she still seems to have gone in the crate IV ended up closing crate during day as even tho I leave her out after water and every hour she sometimes decides to walk into the crate just to pee IV caught her a few times and brought her straight outside but she is still walking to crate for a pee rather than going to back door. ???

Advertisement