Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car

Options
  • 30-11-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Have been looking into getting my first car, not too sure what make/model to go for though? Want something with a little engine.. not more than 1.2 for insurance reasons!

Anyway, I have been looking at Clio's :) I hear they are not very reliable though? Also like the Peugeot 206 and have been told the WV polo would be a good choice.. anyone any suggestions? :) Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Polo with the 999cc engine.

I keep suggesting them all the time, cheap to run, cheap to insure, cheap to tax. Piece of piss to park and do reverse around corner for your test. nice stereos in the 3 door version and can do the motorway speeds no problem after you get your full licence and want to hold onto it.

You should pick up a good example for around 700 euro.

Here's one for 600 and you should get it for 500. Bring a friend who can haggle and knows there way around cars. 6 months NCT too. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2773630

View2-8945536.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My daughters had afew clios between them, probably the most reliable cars renault made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Fiat Bravo 1.2

Naff all goes wrong with them, especially in this guise

This one is for sale for €1050, NCTd and taxed. Very easy to insure for a young driver (its what I started on)

Car from link above

Full?id=8922240

Why did I pick one out with such awful wheels... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

dgt wrote: »
    Fiat Bravo 1.2

Naff all goes wrong with them, especially in this guise

This one is for sale for €1050, NCTd and taxed. Very easy to insure for a young driver (its what I started on)

Car from link above

Full?id=8922240

Why did I pick one out with such awful wheels... :eek:

What about the gearbox, syncros on them go all the time, along with silly central locking issues and the likes.
    I am. Fiat fan, I had a brava but I'd never suggest one given that there are so many better cars out there for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

The wifes last car was a Clio. 00 model 1.2 great little city car.

Did a bit of work on it, need a wheel bearing and an O2 sensor.

So if your going for a 10 year old car, expect it to have had either the

clutch, timing belt/water pump done. Plus regular serving and nothing

too high mileage wise. Would recommend them.

Also the Toyota Starlet and Yaris are great cars too.

I've found the Polo 1lt quite under powered for a heavy car, there hardy

though. Bring a mechanic when you find the one you want. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What about the gearbox, syncros on them go all the time, along with silly central locking issues and the likes.
    I am. Fiat fan, I had a brava but I'd never suggest one given that there are so many better cars out there for the money
    Better is relative.

Cars that fit into the "first car" bracket will have there problems, but I wouldn't expect most to have more than 5k driven on them before the person who buys them moves on up to a newer car when they get a full license, well before any problems will rear their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

I'd go for a clean unmolested 1.3/1.4 Corolla there cheap to insure go forever and I tend to find those sort of size cars more comfortable to drive then something like a Polo or Clio

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭coolbeans

You're wrong about the Clio OP, I'm no Renault fan but they're a great little car and significantly better in almost all respects than a Polo.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

&1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Someone on here yesterday bought a 2000 Ford Fiesta 1.25 litre Ghia for under €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Kevvv

bazz26 wrote: »
    Someone on here yesterday bought a 2000 Ford Fiesta 1.25 litre Ghia for under €1000.

Twas me. Grand car, would recommend one. I kept an eye on donedeal for a while till I seen one I liked, so just keep an eye out on donedeal and you might pick up a small engine car within your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

FIAT Punto with a half decent service history may be worth a look ?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Flunch

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Will have a look round anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tara_

Hey!

I'm in pretty much the same boat as Flunch! Looking to buy my first car and the Seat Ibiza has caught my eye!! Don't know much about Seat's though...Anyone have any experience with them?? I've been told that VW bought own seat, is that right?

Of course the usual have come to mind...Polos, focus, yaris but think they're in the higher price range then what i'd like.

Have seen a few nice peugeot 307 i think it was? And I have been advised that a Honda civic is a really good make but again, a bit more expensive and dont think i've seen many nice one's for sale.

HELP PLEASE!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Matthewjohn

Whats your price range

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tara_

Well....between 2500 and 3500 I suppose, could go a bit higher but looking for a good bargain and since its my first car don't want to spend too much.

A '03 or '04 maybe with low mileage....basically i'm looking for a steal!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭YBTurbo

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec.

Simply the best cheap starter car.

Advertisement