Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoutout to all Americans in Waterford City

Options
  • 30-11-2011 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

I'm Irish, living in America with my fiance. We will be moving back to Waterford for a few years minimum in a years time, it's going to be my fiances first time in Ireland and I want to make the transition as easy as possible for him! Just a general questions to any Americans that live in Waterford, is there a noticeable community of Americans in Waterford? What was the most difficult aspect of moving there that you experienced? I just want to prepare for this and make our move as smooth as I can for him, he is very outgoing and will adapt, but I know he'll miss out on things like American football, and baseball and living in big cities.

Anyhow, let me know what ye think guys!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Dont know, Americans in fairness are not so different that they have their own lil communities here. Americans added to that have a good rep in this country and are generally welcome. Irish have a long history of going abroad (shame on our governments) for work so we have a big ex-pat thing. Anyway, get sky sports for the American Football.

On a light-hearted note, to ease the simulation in Waterford, remind him that football is not called Soccer here:).
    NEVER EVER confuse a blaa with a bap or roll, this is sure to cause much rancour
    Colour is spelt with a U

besides that, cead mile failte and welcome home to you and your fiance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

If she gets homesick send her to the USA bargain stores :)
    Max Powers wrote: »
    On a light-hearted note, to ease the simulation in Waterford, remind him that football is not called Soccer here:).

I call Association Football soccer, and most of my friends do. That includes my soccer playing friends.

Its only English people have a hang up about calling Association Football soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 i_shot_jr

I know he'll be grand fitting in, I just want him to have some comforts from home, and of course I know he'd love meeting up with fellow Americans if he can. I just worry about the total culture shock of living in Waterford, it's very different from where we are now! I have him drinking Barry's tea though, so he's already half Irish, right?? :)

i_shot_jr wrote: »
    I know he'll be grand fitting in, I just want him to have some comforts from home, and of course I know he'd love meeting up with fellow Americans if he can. I just worry about the total culture shock of living in Waterford, it's very different from where we are now! I have him drinking Barry's tea though, so he's already half Irish, right?? :)

Send him down to Waterford Crystal on The Mall, plenty of Americans there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Better warn him that he is more lightly to be greeted with a knarl than a welcome but it's nothing personal just the way were all feeling in this country these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

We're lurking about, there are a good few of us. The adjustment will be difficult for him if he is going US to Ireland-- although I think its a lot easier for American guys to assimilate with Irish guys than women. He might find it hard making friends if he isn't into going to pubs, but if you go on facebook there is an Americans in Ireland group that meet up time to time.

We're lurking about, there are a good few of us. The adjustment will be difficult for him if he is going US to Ireland-- although I think its a lot easier for American guys to assimilate with Irish guys than women. He might find it hard making friends if he isn't into going to pubs, but if you go on facebook there is an Americans in Ireland group that meet up time to time.

Oh he's into going to pubs, he wouldn't be my fiance otherwise! :) I have a good few friends in Waterford too so hopefully he'll meet people through them also. I'll definitely look up the facebook group, cheers for the suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭looksee

changed my mind

Also, there was a meetup.com group set up for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

Sure if he heads to Tramore on a sunny day he will think he's in California with all the surfers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

As an American whose entire family is in Waterford and visits frequently, i think the biggest challenge is that he will absolutely hate the feckin weather unless you are in Seattle!

It's a tough time right now in Ireland in general and Waterford in particular but there are still a lot of great things to enjoy as well. There is a lot to like about the people in Waterford, great scenery close by, awesome shoreline and swimming, good pubs, excellent breakfast rolls and BLAAS for all!

And I woulD love to see the look on his face when he has his first real Guinness, not the export **** we get in the USA!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭decies

If he wants to talk about red sox or patriots he can pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Are you insane stay where you are.:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Is he into sport? Mate on mine is part of a flag American football team. If he would be into that kind of thing PM me and I'll ask him would they be looking for any players (which I assume they always are)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭decies

ziedth wrote: »
    Is he into sport? Mate on mine is part of a flag American football team. If he would be into that kind of thing PM me and I'll ask him would they be looking for any players (which I assume they always are)

Where do these people play, love to look at it?? Pm required here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Optimist Prime

In case it's of any relevance now, search Waterford Wolves for the now kitted team. Or else just ask me about them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RumMonkey

I'm an American who has been living in Waterford for 19 years and have only met one other American living here. Don't think there is an American community.

As someone else mentioned, the weather is the biggest issue. And shops closing so early during the week. Take him to a hurling match. If he likes sports he'll be hooked. I was.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

The best thing an American should do before moving to Waterford City is to visit Detroit first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

I honestly thought that the thread title said "Shootout to all Americans in Waterford City"

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

RumMonkey wrote: »
    Don't think there is an American community.

A lot of us know each other, actually. There is a decent network of Americans in Ireland, too, you can look up the groups on facebook. We do occasional pot luck get togethers for a taste of home and there are Thanksgiving dinners organized, too.

• Advertisement

A lot of us know each other, actually. There is a decent network of Americans in Ireland, too, you can look up the groups on facebook. We do occasional pot luck get togethers for a taste of home and there are Thanksgiving dinners organized, too.

Good to hear! Could you send me the link to the facebook page please? We're heading out to watch the Superbowl tonight so might catch some Americans out and about. :)

Advertisement