Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas markets....

Options
  • 30-11-2011 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Heading over to London Friday until Monday and am looking for some suggestions for Xmas markets. I think South Bank seems to be the main place and possibly Hyde park. Anyone have any other suggestions? Or any other Christmasy type things on in London for the next few days?

Second question kinda unrelated but when i'm there I want to open a bank account. Does anyone know what banks will do that for someone not living in the UK. As far as i can tell from Barclays website you can walk in with a passport and a utility bill and they will open 1 for you even if you use your Irish address. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

corklad32 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Heading over to London Friday until Monday and am looking for some suggestions for Xmas markets. I think South Bank seems to be the main place and possibly Hyde park. Anyone have any other suggestions? Or any other Christmasy type things on in London for the next few days?

Second question kinda unrelated but when i'm there I want to open a bank account. Does anyone know what banks will do that for someone not living in the UK. As far as i can tell from Barclays website you can walk in with a passport and a utility bill and they will open 1 for you even if you use your Irish address. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thks guys

South Bank and Hyde Park would be the main ones but be warned: both places get disgustingly busy at weekends. I was at the one in Hyde Park last Sunday and will never go back unless I've a week day off. Also, I wasn't checking market prices but if the food and drink prices are anything to go by its very expensive.

Camden market had a good selection when I was there a few weeks ago and would be more reasonably priced for Christmas stuff, plus you can't beat the free samples from the food stands! It's not a pure Christmas market and can also be a bit busy but I find it more manageable.

Not sure if I can help much on the bank front. If barclays says theyll let you set one up with an Irish address go for it. Print off that web page that says it though, because I wouldn't be surprised if they swear that they can't do it just to save themselves some work.

Also, go to the bank 1st thing when you arrive, as they'll need to make an appointment for later in the day to set it up.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

As far as i can tell from Barclays website you can walk in with a passport and a utility bill and they will open 1 for you even if you use your Irish address.
    I would be very surprised if that were the case - you need to be a UK resident to avail of almost anything in the UK.
    South Bank and Hyde Park would be the main ones but be warned: both places get disgustingly busy at weekends. I was at the one in Hyde Park last Sunday and will never go back unless I've a week day off. Also, I wasn't checking market prices but if the food and drink prices are anything to go by its very expensive.
    Yeah, I was at the Hyde Park one for a bit last year - 'twas ferociously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

HSBC have a Passport account option which allows you to set up an account in the UK using your home address. Costs £8 a month for a fixed 12 month period and all you need is a passport and proof of original address. I'm still on 2 years after setting it up. I must sort that out.

Barclays must have something similar or someone is mixing their banks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

S.M.B. wrote: »
    HSBC have a Passport account option which allows you to set up an account in the UK using your home address. Costs £8 a month for a fixed 12 month period and all you need is a passport and proof of original address. I'm still on 2 years after setting it up. I must sort that out.

Barclays must have something similar or someone is mixing their banks up.
    Mmm that's interesting. So they charge you 8 pounds per month but you do have access to a UK bank account. I guess its a way to make more for them - fookers. Thanks for the replies guys.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's not a Christmas market as such but there's a big ice rink at the Natural History Museum that you may want to check out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Mmm that's interesting. So they charge you 8 pounds per month but you do have access to a UK bank account. I guess its a way to make more for them - fookers. Thanks for the replies guys.
    Yep, it's a limited account but I found it was the best solution for me. Comes with:

A debit card rather than a credit card.
    A sim card
    Discounted Western Union rates
    Free travel guides
    Other carp like that....

Sign up and pay £96 for the year then transfer to a free account or premium account at a similar rate 12 months down the line when you'll have all the necessary paper work. Like I said earlier, I've yet to do this out of laziness.

Fysh wrote: »
    It's not a Christmas market as such but there's a big ice rink at the Natural History Museum that you may want to check out.
    Wow that sounds class - must check it out. Huge crowds no doubt but sure what harm! Thks

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Yep, it's a limited account but I found it was the best solution for me. Comes with:

A debit card rather than a credit card.
    A sim card
    Discounted Western Union rates
    Free travel guides
    Other carp like that....

Sign up and pay £96 for the year then transfer to a free account or premium account at a similar rate 12 months down the line when you'll have all the necessary paper work. Like I said earlier, I've yet to do this out of laziness.
    Cool cool thanks for all that. So when you sign up for this account you sign up for a minimum of 12 months? And then as you say you can move to something else. I presume you don't get much if any interest on that type of account but are there any other "catches" apart from the 8 quid a month?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Cool cool thanks for all that. So when you sign up for this account you sign up for a minimum of 12 months? And then as you say you can move to something else. I presume you don't get much if any interest on that type of account but are there any other "catches" apart from the 8 quid a month?

Have a look here for details.

Fysh wrote: »
    Have a look here for details.
    Super - thanks for that - it gives everything i need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

All you need to open a bank account with Lloyds TSB is a passport. I was pretty surprised when the lady there said it was no problem, but it was pretty quick and easy. Don't really know if they're an option, OP, but maybe you could look into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Fenny wrote: »
    All you need to open a bank account with Lloyds TSB is a passport.
    Pretty sure you need a UK address too (although they don't ask for proof of it). I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Hampton court also have a ice rink that is never busy.

London zoo do a few things for Christmas too.

Advertisement