Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TROUBLE WITH DOG STRAYING

Options
  • 30-11-2011 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Im having awful trouble with my dog straying in the night but he always comes back in the morning i have often found heard of him being up to 4-5 miles away to get to dogs in heat.
    is there anyway i can stop him doing this..... the only thing i can think of is getting his man hood removed??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Make the area he is kept in more secure??

I'd be worrying more about him getting run over or becoming the victim of animal abuse.

I would strongly suggest having him neutered. He could have already fathered puppies with other strays and added to the unwanted dog population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Neutering your dog is a responsible thing to do even if it's not straying, so please look into having your dog neutered asap. It's a pretty minor op for a dog and he'll be back to himself within a couple of days.

You need to secure your garden and keep him in at night.

Not only is he contributing to even more unwanted pups by being allowed to roam entire but he could easily cause an accident, get shot by a farmer, get hurt, get picked up by the warden or stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Put up a proper fence, simples.;)

Dont forget, its actually against the law to let your dog roam so hes at risk of being picked up by the dog warden and brought to the pound, so please, do your dog a favour and keep him properly and securely enclosed at ALL TIMES!!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

will him getting the chop defo stop him straying??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

No but it will help. You also need to fence off your garden or bring him inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

It will only stop him getting out to get to a bitch in heat. It won't stop him getting out in general. How is he getting out anyway.

No it wont. You need to fence in an area to stop your dog from getting out, no other answer to it.

well he is tied but he works on the farm all day and he goes for walks but if he gets home ahead of you when we are walking....... he bolts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Im having awful trouble with my dog straying in the night but he always comes back in the morning i have often found heard of him being up to 4-5 miles away to get to dogs in heat.
    is there anyway i can stop him doing this..... the only thing i can think of is getting his man hood removed??:confused:

Should you have a dog at all if you allow him to wander or do not have a secure premises to keep him in?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

scholar007 wrote: »
    Should you have a dog at all if you allow him to wander or do not have a secure premises to keep him in?

Users have been infracted oe banned for comments like this.
    The OP asked a question about how to stop his dog roming not whether he should have a dog or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

My fella isn't nuetered but our 7ft high walled garden is fully enclosed and stops him roaming and getting to bitches in heat, stops him getting onto the road and causing an accident or getting himself or someone else killed, stops the local warden picking him up and bringing him to the pound, stops the chances of him being abused or harmed by little scumbags and stops him being stolen by big scumbags.

It's not nice for a dog to be tied up whenever he isn't working on the farm with you, perhaps this is why he's running away in the first place. So I'd suggest getting a dog run or put up fencing for your dogs saefty and your own piece of mind :)

Actually, I'm curious...If your fella is a farm dog and used for work, I wonder would nuetering affect his work?

I'm from the country and I've often heard that having a working male dog nuetered can lower or even make him lose his drive. I know I'll probably get slated for this but it's a question, not a statement! Just wonder if there's any truth to it or is it just another old-fashioned and out-dated theory?
    Sorry if it's kinda going off-topic but I suppose it's relevant to OP too!;)

Toulouse wrote: »
    Neutering your dog is a responsible thing to do even if it's not straying.
    Are you saying it's irresponsible not to nueter your dog even if they're not straying and are never out of your sight/control?!

Well we had an electric dog collar fence for him for about 5 years and working brillant however he out smarted the system he would run jump over 4ft wall so quick as not to get shocked. thats why in the last few months we had to tie him up. he's not tied up all the time he is out with me most of the day.

in relation to neutering him...... he's the best dog i have had working on the farm but he is also a very good friend and if anything happened to him that was in my control i wouldnt forgive myself so he will have to be neutered!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

There are only 2 ways to guarantee the safety of this dog you say you care about.
    1) Securely fence off your garden/yard/property with an appropriately high fence (6-7 ft at least). If your dog likes to jump do not use chicken wire as the dog could be injured/killed by getting his paw stuck in the holes or his collar caught when he jumps up against the fence. Sturdy plank fencing is best. Make sure he can't tunnel underneath the fence if he's prone to digging
    2) If the area is too big to fence then build him a secure run / pen, of an appropriate size to the size of your dog

These are not cheap or quick options, but you're just fooling yourself by doing anything else. When we moved we spent hundreds of euros on timber and sacrificed a couple of weekends to fence off our new yard for our lads, setting posts in concrete etc. Much cheaper to do it yourself if you can, we were quoted 1500 euro by a fencing company, which is about a grand more than we spent on materials!!

Leaving a dog tied up is dangerous and unpleasant for the dog - dangerous as the dog is not secure from anyone or anything that wants to get to it (thieves, abusers, other dogs/animals) and also because it's possible for the dog to tangle or strangle himself. And if he manages to get out of his collar (which if he's a collie is very possible, my lad does) then he's gone. Electronic fences are both useless and cruel, the only thing they're guaranteed to do is hurt your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

why would you not keep your dog in at night time. dogs are being picked up and used as bait dogs, do you want this to happen to your dog.

Advertisement