Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job - to take or not to take?

Options
  • 30-11-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

I went for an interview yesterday and got offered the job today (said I'd get back tomorrow) I am in two minds though weather to take it. The location is ok and aspect of job however money isnt great (better that dole I'm on though) the times are 9-6, got spoiled working 9-5/5.30. I dont mind that too much but they said I would have to work Christmas bar the two days offs, an odd weekend, 20 days holidays, you dont bank holidays off and you dont get paid for sick days :eek: TBH I havent taken lots of sick days off in my past jobs but still sometimes you may have the sniffles and need a day or two off or a dentist/hospital appt. My employer would be contracting me out to the company I would be working for. My gut feeling doesnt think I want to go but then I get the guilt as I should be grateful for a job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 devlin159

should probably take it to be honest its better than the dole im on the dole and its becoming very depressing and frustrating i would love a job ive got to the point i was thinking of jsut getting a bus to dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Take it and keep an eye out for other jobs while your there, far easier get a job when your already in a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

A job is a job! I'm only 5 months out of work and I'm cracking up. I'd sweep the streets at this stage, just to have a job. I say take it and make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

yeah take it at least your out and about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

Take it.

/close thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Take the job! unless you think you'd be unbearably miserable working in it from the off, take it and keep looking for something more suitable. I think turning it down and not getting another offer for a long period would be worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

And here is the problem.

Your dole should be removed iof you dont take the job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Take the job!!!! people cant be picky about jobs these days! I despise my job but I do it cause there's nothing out there in the construction field. Get off the dole, pay your taxes and earn your own money! I agree with D1stant that if people refuse jobs then their dole should be stopped!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm honestly not sure why you've any serious reservations about taking the job.
    would have to work Christmas bar the two days offs, an odd weekend, 20 days holidays, you dont bank holidays off and you dont get paid for sick days

So you've to work the normal working days over Christmas then? If you didn't have to work the standard days, then there's a good chance they'd be taken out of your annual leave allocation.

If you read this thread, there is information about what your entitlements are if you work during public holidays. If you're concerned that you have to work during bank holidays that are not public holidays (e.g. Good Friday), then you really just have to suck it up. Most people have to work these too. Your company can't make you take annual leave for hospital visits, but you can choose to. And I'm sure you can find a dentist that does out of hours appointments.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if you think that's a raw deal, I think you're a little removed from reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 the_hairy_onri

Quality of life is pretty important!! If you're confident of getting a better position in the future why not hold out.

This being "the problem" is horsesh$t. The job will be filled one way or the other. She hasn't said she doesn't want to work just that she wants better conditions. Maybe if more people stood up against big profit companies (don't know if thats the case here) treating their staff like slaves the world would be a nicer place?

Just a different take on it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Quality of life is pretty important!! If you're confident of getting a better position in the future why not hold out.

This being "the problem" is horsesh$t. The job will be filled one way or the other. She hasn't said she doesn't want to work just that she wants better conditions. Maybe if more people stood up against big profit companies (don't know if thats the case here) treating their staff like slaves the world would be a nicer place?

Surely it would be better to do a job you hated and keep looking for a better one than staying on the dole. If Nobody took jobs that weren't the best or had great perks like holidays off and paid sick days then nobody would be working!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

These discussions always seems to concentrate only around the financial's and the like..
    Some things that will stand to OP in the long term...

1, Experience, all too often I hear, "I'm not much better off than the dole, why should I bother"
    Unless you're a total plank you will learn something, even if it's only some people skills it's better than you were before, which makes you more employable..

2, You've proved your employable... a new employer will see this, if you've been working somewhere for six months you're allot more attractive than an equally qualified person who hasn't been working for a long time..

3, Unless you have no financial responsibilities and enough resources to fund your free time you will go mad hanging round, most people will agree they feel bad being unemployed and better when they get a job..

Give it a go... big deal if you have to work a few shifts you'd rather not, it's a big bad world out there and I doubt it's going to get better any time soon..

None of the conditions the OP has mentioned sound particularly bad at all - certainly a far cry from slavery. I know you said that this might not be the case here, but the OP does seems to think they're bad conditions.

Eh or maybe conditions of work would improve?

Look its an alternate view. The country is awash with depression, alcoholism even suicide. People aren't encouraged enough to find something they like to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

As mentioned before it is easier to get a job from a job, but the only proviso i'd make is that you would need to be able to stick with the job for at least 6 months. Any shorter would look flighty and disloyal, unless the employer is a known dysfunctional employer........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Gimme a break

Pretty much all companies are profit orientated. I see very little in the OPs post about bad conditions / slavery

If people can decide to stay on SW and cherry pick until the CEO job opens up in that mythical people-orientated non-profit company, then at least in some cases SW should be reduced or stopped

Carlsberg dont do job offers

Yep companies are profit orientated and look where its getting us at the minute. The global economy is a shambles. Wouldn't it be better if society as a whole could become more people orientated? Up until recently women (even still but to a lesser extent) were treated like second class citizens in the jobs market. Thankfully they stood up fro themselves and got better conditions. Society needs to take a good long look at itself and see where we're gonna go with this. Why should we be at the whim of the money makers?

Sorry gone off topic now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

D1stant wrote: »

Carlsberg dont do job offers

Really ??
    how do they get staff??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Yep companies are profit orientated and look where its getting us at the minute. The global economy is a shambles. Wouldn't it be better if society as a whole could become more people orientated? Up until recently women (even still but to a lesser extent) were treated like second class citizens in the jobs market. Thankfully they stood up fro themselves and got better conditions. Society needs to take a good long look at itself and see where we're gonna go with this. Why should we be at the whim of the money makers?

Stop living in dreamland. Their is absolutely nothing wrong with the conditions of the ops job. If i was offered her job in the morning i would be the happiest man in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In fairness OP, no paid sick leave is normal for many, many people in the country. You take the hit for the first three days of sickness yourself (most people use annual leave), there's a SW benefit after that. One of the politicians has been taking about making "employers" pay for the first four weeks, I know, but I don't see that idea flying given that many don't even pay for the first three days.

Re bank holidays - sure, you might have to work them - but you'll get either extra cash and/or a day off at another time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

In the distant past, blue chip companies used to pay sick pay at full rate for employees and little effort was made to challenge employees for "sick day mondays and fridays due to "life-style" choices....ie. drink and drugs etc.

Now most small companies will let you carry the can for sick days and SW rates for the rest (very low like the dole ).

Most companies will now challenge every sick day taken and make you do a return to work interview etc.

I am now self employed and if I don't work I dont get paid. Every episode of sick or otherwise not able to get to my venues costs me money.

I lost a week last year with the snow and ice as the 2-3 hour traffic jams did not warrant a 1 hour gig but was willing to do it if the customers wanted to. Fortunately most were day care centres and couldn't get their clients to the centres with the snow.

I felt that loss at the end of the month and would make every effort to keep my appointments in normal weather conditions.

I can't say I was as adamant or conscientious when the company paid sick pay.

With the present employee set up regarding holidays ( hard to get when you want them ) sick days ( impossible to take without financial loss and disciplinary issues even then ) there is very little to distinguish between being self employed and being employed. Either way you are not secure, can lose income at any time, can't get a mortgage ( who can????) and haven't any of the advantages employees had in the past.

At least now I have 10 customers or so and if one goes I am only down 10% or so. I can make up the money with other gigs. I do not have meetings, office politics or other work related grief. I find working for each customer for only 2 hours a week cuts out a lot of the nonsense that goes on in a 40 hour workweek when people get to know each other too well and petty jealousies and rivalries arise. I have had 30 yrs of that in multinational corporate workplace and that was enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wallst

Quote:
    Originally Posted by the_hairy_onri viewpost.gif

Stop living in dreamland. Their is absolutely nothing wrong with the conditions of the ops job. If i was offered her job in the morning i would be the happiest man in the world
    Its a difficult situation, but people shouldn't accept jobs they will not be happy with. Its not fair on anyone, if the op thinks somebody else would be happy in that job, then leave it to them and keep looking.
    I've quit 2 jobs since July. I simply wont spend my whole life detesting most of it doin some job to get money. "It's just till u find something better". When?
    This is an economic depression or worse a complete systemic failure of capitalism.
    I would gladly work a 6 day week for €250 net doing a job I dont deteste, but what would the capitalists do then?
    Anyway, they couldn't allow us to work for that as we couldn't pay our debts and be good consumers and that would collapse their financial system.

The OP said that the work and location are both OK, but the conditions seem bad. They're not. They're totally standard employment conditions.

The "War on Drugs" is the standard accepted way of dealing with the drugs problem in the western world. Does it work? Absolutely not. Look at the gang violence, junkies, and all related social problems. And yet we pursue this accepted way of dealing with it. Thought this forum in particular encouraged people to think outside the box? (Or is that just something for the CV)

I know this is going off topic again so I'm sorry. One more thing while I'm here....:P Why can't shops stay closed for a few more days over christmas. Aren't we buying enough beforehand and bombarded with the sales after... a little ceasefire would be nice.

Thanks for humouring me! :)

Thought this forum in particular encouraged people to think outside the box?

This forum can be, but this thread is about what's in place right now.

Advertisement