Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White or Metallic Filling

Options
  • 30-11-2011 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to ask a quick question .
    My dentist seems reluctant to use the newer white type fillings ,he says that they dont last long and can crack.

I was of the understanding that the newer white composite fillings are much stronger than the older white ones and more durable.
    I have a good few metallic fillings ,mostly since I was younger on my back teeth ,so I am reluctant to get any more unless it is necessary.
    From what I understand more of the tooth has to be removed to hold the metallic fillings in place whereas the white ones can be glued on .

I do like my dentist,I've been going to him since a kid and he will try to avoid a filling as much as possible and has saved me a few teeth I damaged down the years .
    Is he correct about the white fillings or should I ask him for white fillings especially on small fillings towards the front ?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

If anything - go for the white fillings because they are more aesthetically pleasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I think it depends on the size of the cavity. I have a mixture of white and amalgam fillings. The white ones were placed on small cavities on teeth but for the larger fillings my dentist prefers silver. he thinks they last longer and are stronger, especially for molars for chewing purposes.
    He also thinks (in his own experiences) that large white fillings can lead to increased sensitivity.
    I had a lot of fillings after my daughter was born, so I've them about 8 years now and so far, so good. No pain, no sensitivity. 2 need to be replaced soon and he's given me the option of having white ones but they're top molars so I'm going to go for silver.

Of course, some dentists believe silver fillings are poisonous so it's personal preference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

ash23 wrote: »
    Of course, some dentists believe silver fillings are poisonous so it's personal preference really.

there is mercury in them thats why they are considered dangerous by some,you definately dont wana swallow one..many tests have been done on them to check the mercury levels in a persons mouth/saliva when they have these fillings. some people claim its so small amount that its safe and others claim that no matter how small it is you shouldnt have any of it in your body

if its a tooth that is visible when you smile then your better off goin for white,if its a back tooth that nobody ever sees then go for the amalgam fillings as they do last longer and are stronger than white ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Zardoz wrote: »
    Just wanted to ask a quick question .
    I have a good few metallic fillings ,mostly since I was younger on my back teeth ,

Very few people could say that about White fillings. Most likely your dentist charges more for white fillings so he'd benefit more from you having them, he must have a good reason for suggesting metal ones?
    In some cases you might have to remove a tiny bit more to place a metal filling, but usually not much more.
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

CyberJuice wrote: »
    there is mercury in them thats why they are considered dangerous by some,you definately dont wana swallow one..many tests have been done on them to check the mercury levels in a persons mouth/saliva when they have these fillings. some people claim its so small amount that its safe and others claim that no matter how small it is you shouldnt have any of it in your body

fcukin brilliant:rolleyes:
    if you swallow a 'whole' filling you're gonna pass it through when you have a dump.

op ask your dentist! there's some wallys giving you 'advice' on a serious topic who are talking through the same end through which the swallowed filling would pass:D

personally, if I needed a large restoration i'd want a 'silver' filling placed in my own tooth for a number of reasons...........period!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

digzy wrote: »
    CyberJuice wrote: »

there's some wallys giving you 'advice' on a serious topic who are talking through the same end through which the swallowed filling would pass:D
    !

I didnt necesarily mean swallowing a whole filling,u could swallow part or you could just be swallowing traces of mercury over long periods of time,either way many people claim its not good for you

as for "wallys"giving him advice. one poster mentioned that some dentists claim the fillings are piosonous,i was just tellin him the reason why they told him that,its coz they have mercury in them,im not advising to get one type over the other,both are ok in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

alcohol's poisonous too if you drink enough of it...........this has been done to death so many times ........i'm out .................'wally' away :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Mercury threads end up turning into a pain in the behind.
    So no more posts about it's impacts/non-impacts on a patients health.

Thanks

OP if the fillings are on the front teeth get while fillings.
    If they are on the back then it doesnt really matter are no ones going to see them unless you're doing a Hippo impression :D

Advertisement