Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop scribbling and rustling your papers Sean O'Rourke!!!

Options
  • 30-11-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭

Every day (normally) I listen to the News at One, easily the best lunch time news programme. The only thing that bugs me is you can always hear Sean O'Rourke scribbling away with a pencil and shuffling his papers around the place, it's very annoying, especially when listening through headphones...

Can RTÉ not afford directional mics? Or what's the deal? You always hear Pat Kenny clicking his mouse too... :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

lol.. I've always thought this as well... And Mary Wilson too.. She scribbles soooo much during the show, you can almost hear the clicking of the wheels of her brain moving ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

I heard it today too.

Again, its just terrible production values.

Why should they try harder? We all hand over €160 a year no questions asked.

The people of Ireland should get of their collectives and march to the Dail so they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,897 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Does anyone else notice how Mary Wilson calls Olivia O'Leary "Olivia O'Lairey"? Or how numerous sports presenters (one in particular, but I can't think of his name) refer to the GEA instead of the GAA? And I can't type it, but how some AA Roadwatch presenters manage to slur the AA bit when signing off?

Yes, I am a card-carrying pedant. But it's pure laziness - can they just not be bothered to pronounce things properly?

(Haven't notice the paper-shuffling/rustling/scribbling/clicking - I'm obviously too busy listening for pronunciations:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There is hardly a sports reporter/presenter in the country who doesn't have shocking diction. They seem to come from the depths of the backwoods for the most part.

As for Seans paper rustling yes I heard it today, he was (yet again) in a mad rush too often today with the usual momentary stumbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

lol! I listened to Morning Ireland today for the first time in yonks and I swear the male presenter, can't remember which, must have been eating his breakfast while interviewing. There was shuffling and rustling and breathing and snorting while the guest was yakking away.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

sudzs wrote: »
    lol! I listened to Morning Ireland today for the first time in yonks and I swear the male presenter, can't remember which, must have been eating his breakfast while interviewing. There was shuffling and rustling and breathing and snorting while the guest was yakking away.... :rolleyes:

Cathal Mac Coille no doubt. He is brutal.....really, really brutal.

If he's not doing the above, he's nose-whistling right into the microphone while an interviewee is speaking.

I remember there was complaints about it one morning and in fairness, he apologised...but then proceeded to do it again the very next day. Jesus...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

telekon wrote: »
    If he's not doing the above, he's nose-whistling right into the microphone while an interviewee is speaking.

ah god yeah, he's always at it... I swear he was playing Amazing Grace with his nose yesterday morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Scribble scribble scribble, rustle, rustle, rustle... :mad:

dulpit wrote: »
    Scribble scribble scribble, rustle, rustle, rustle... :mad:

News now?? And the sports guy.. terrible! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oh sweet jesus, sounds like they're shuffling reams of paper on Drivetime.. Just move the mic higher, or make them use super directional mics

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

Oh sweet jesus, sounds like they're shuffling reams of paper on Drivetime.. Just move the mic higher, or make them use super directional mics

God help you if you think "just moving the mic higher" will eliminate the noise from paper placed directly below the mic. You clearly have no understanding of how sound or indeed, a microphone works. Using "super directional mics" as you call them, is not an option in a broadcast studio. Presenters will invariably move off mic as they look at a guest who may be beside them, or a clock which may be placed on a wall not directly opposite their position, and in the case of directional microphones audio quality would suffer severely.

Drive Time is a budget special today, broadcasting from 2.30pm to 7pm. I don't think it's unreasonable for the presenters to be relying on notes or information as it's fed to them. As this information is usually printed on PAPER it will result in noise as it's picked up and sorted by a presenter who is under pressure in a live broadcast scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Boy was O'Rourke his usual condescending, obnoxious best today with Joan Burton. His impartiality was left at the studio door, twisting what was said and deliberately misinterpreting other items.

You'd never guess he started his "career" in The Irish Press

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I'd much rather he stop shouting at people and interrupting them mid sentence

orourkeda wrote: »
    I'd much rather he stop shouting at people and interrupting them mid sentence

Ya, that was pretty bad today alright..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Ya, that was pretty bad today alright..

Not only is it very rude but its extremely annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

sudzs wrote: »
    telekon wrote: »
    Cathal Mac Coille no doubt. He is brutal.....really, really brutal.

I remember there was complaints about it one morning and in fairness, he apologised...but then proceeded to do it again the very next day. Jesus...:(

I started a thread about Cathal's nasal functions three and a half years ago!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56047626

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Joe duffy is always scratching away with his pencil. I'm convinced they play hangman in the studio.

Just listening to O'Rourke introduce Patricia Casey from the Iona Institute to talk about rise in mothers going out to work without actually saying who they are and what they represent. Very poor show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Noonan called him big time today on a glib comment he made about "the ordinary punter".
    He was rattled for the first time in a while.

• Advertisement

I turned off after a few minutes of his nose whistling. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The bad audio quality in RTE's talk studios could be improved considerably with the use of better, or more appropriate, microphones.

I know what mics they use, and they are not the best ones for the job.

Their studios are not acoustically the best either, which enhances the effects produced by incorrect mic usage.

A.

dib wrote: »
    God help you if you think "just moving the mic higher" will eliminate the noise from paper placed directly below the mic. You clearly have no understanding of how sound or indeed, a microphone works. Using "super directional mics" as you call them, is not an option in a broadcast studio. Presenters will invariably move off mic as they look at a guest who may be beside them, or a clock which may be placed on a wall not directly opposite their position, and in the case of directional microphones audio quality would suffer severely.

Drive Time is a budget special today, broadcasting from 2.30pm to 7pm. I don't think it's unreasonable for the presenters to be relying on notes or information as it's fed to them. As this information is usually printed on PAPER it will result in noise as it's picked up and sorted by a presenter who is under pressure in a live broadcast scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

alinton wrote: »
    The bad audio quality in RTE's talk studios could be improved considerably with the use of better, or more appropriate, microphones.

I know what mics they use, and they are not the best ones for the job.

Their studios are not acoustically the best either, which enhances the effects produced by incorrect mic usage.

A.

What microphones would you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

That would require a professional consultancy!

(Its one of the things my company does)

A

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surely someone in the production crew can hear Sean's rustling and sniffing?

I just think it's mad that there's podcasts I listen to where the presenters (and there can be a few of them in studio at same time) can be typing on laptops, clicking mice, making notes and the sound quality there is infinitely better than that of our national broadcaster...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Chris O Donaghue over on Newstalk has an annoying habit of pounding his keyboard while typing on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Thought S.O.R was a bit unprepared today, especially when talking to guy on wind energy a few minutes ago

• Advertisement

O'Rourke is in a cranky mood today, now trying to equate eating jaffa cakes with drinking alcohol with the Child Allowance money!

Advertisement